Q&A | Aircraft Group Build - Navy and Marine Aircraft

MMMMM.... :D

The more I read in this thread about this specific Campaign... the more attracted I´m getting about it... last time I built an airplane was in ... 1.993 ... a Hasegawa 1:72 "Frank"...

... this Campaign is attracting me dangerously... too dangerously... I have several Fronts open... but building an airplane... it is attractive... strongly attractive... "The Force is strong in this Campaign"... ah...

Hey fellas, I was considering getting in on this but would have to buy a kit. I don't know enough about this subject in general and was wondering if there is an easy way to pinpoint if a kit is"Navy/Marine"? Will it say on the box? I'd like to build something from (WWII) Europe or Japan maybe. I like the idea of a Zero, Spitfire or something unusual. So when I get to a hobbyshop, how could I identify if it would work for this campaign? Thanks

Some aircraft were exclusive to a particular branch of the service.
If the kit shows the markings, it should tell there.
It may also say it in the blurb on the box

Google is your friend!

Japanese imperial Navy A/C
http://www.combinedfleet.com/ijna/ijnaf.htm

Or British A/C

HMS_Implacable_AWM_019037.jpg

Pacific Ocean theater....

Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Avengers, Seafires and Fireflies line up on the deck of the aircraft carrier HMS Implacable and warm up their engines before taking off. Other units of the British Fleet can be seen in the background.

American Navy A/C

http://www.aviation-central.com/1940-1945/aen00.htm

Hope this Helps?

Thanks Quaralane.

Yes schweinhund227, that was helpful. I do actually like the Corsairs and Hellcats too. I'm guessing not all planes were used for one branch of military. Like Spitfires for example were obviously used over land or sea. So I'm guessing that wether it be a Hellcat, Zero, Spitfire, there may have been particular models made just for Navy/Marine use. Like I know there are different Spitfires,MK V, MK XVI, Vb etc. Although if I'm not mistaken I think I read before that Corsairs were used mainly or exclusively for marine use wether they left ground from a carrier or land. I guess I'd have to google that or maybe it would state on the box somewhere as Quaralane says.

Another question maybe someone could help me with concerns kit quality. Mostly I just don't want to have to rescribe panel lines. The one and only plane I ever built I had to do that cause I'm fussy and it just wasn't any fun. So, is there any kits in particular that always has engraved panel line detail?

Thanks again.

schweinhund227 said:
Best Corsairs out there are the Tamiya 1/48th Scale.... They have issued a few variants...

Mmmmm...

This confuses me a little...

In general terms... I believed ??? that Hasegawa was the Top Gun of aircraft model makers...

I´m centering my (very wide ::) ) possible choses around Hasegawa, Kinetic, and Fine Molds...

So... Am I making a mistake? Am I missing something about brands & model aircrafts...?

I want to choose just between either 1:48 ot 1:72... just 1:32 or 1:144 are out of the menu by now... Am I going wrong with Hasegawa???

Ok, The guy that asked the question.....(noname) Isn't looking for an easy to build kit.... So I gave him the best kits for his money and a 'sure' happy ending! Best bang for the buck!

You can't go wrong with a Tamiya A/C kit! in 1/48th. The 1/72 are not always theirs.....

Nothing wrong with Hasegawa or Kinetik 'Jelly'. But for a novice, a Tamiya kit is almost a garantied success!

Unless you are not following instructions.....

hey Norm does standard courier "free post" with luckymodel take long? if you know that would be great

I live in Eastern Ontario and from China..... it takes 15 days.... And I take the cheapest....Air freight !

What is cool with them is....lots of Chinese manufacturer have Free Shipping.... Not all of them but many.... And it's about the same time frame.....

I once tried to order from Lucky Models and the kits wouldn't clear customs for some reason. I got my money back minus the shipping.

So is it safe to say all the Tamiya plane kits are decent with engraved panel lines? Could you name a few other like kit companies please and thank you?

Another stupid question, what's a/c mean? :-[

sweet thanks norm ill give them a try because they have the truck i want for the other gb and its half the price it would cot me here if my lhs ever gets it. and why your kits wouldnt clear customs it a strange one noname

noname said:
So is it safe to say all the Tamiya plane kits are decent with engraved panel lines? Could you name a few other like kit companies please and thank you?

Another stupid question, what's a/c mean? :-[

Taimya will be about as good as it gets for planes when you're talking quality. Every kit I've made from em had great surface detail and great fit. Hasegawa is up there too and many love them, but I only have one kit in the stash (1/48 P-40E) and it suffers from some warping and fit problems. The P-40 is notorious for its odd parts breakdown resulting in fit problems, so not all Hasegawa kits have fit problems....the modeling community as a whole seems to agree that Tamiya and Hasegwa are tops when it comes to planes.

Revell/Monogram is my personal favorite because of their price and them not shying away from big subjects. I love bombers and twin engine planes, and Revell is the king when it comes to these. While alot of people knock them for having raised panel lines, raised panel lines are no less accurate than engraved lines. In fact, raised lines may be even more realistic since aircraft were made of overlapping panels. When it comes to this I really dont care either way. While I do like building kits with engraved lines, I wont go out of my way for em. Since most of my stash is Revell I build alot of planes with raised lines. They arent shake and bake kits though. You'll have to put some effort into them to get a nice kit, but it isnt that difficult.

As for "a/c" it simply stands for "aircraft"

Thank you Redraider56. It seems Tamiya is always a winner. Maybe I should keep my eye open for one of those. I have seen some Tamiya WWII a/c models for as little as $20 and that is a 1/48.

i got my skyraider for €29.99 and i taught that was a bargin

noname said:
Thank you Redraider56. It seems Tamiya is always a winner. Maybe I should keep my eye open for one of those. I have seen some Tamiya WWII a/c models for as little as $20 and that is a 1/48.

If this is going to be your first A/C? Build in confidence with a Tamiya! And don't think that I am forcing your hand! Just pick one that you like ! Of course in line with the group build, if that's what you want to do? Take care!

I think you're overthinking a little. Come up with a particular aircraft, and scale, and we can give very detailed kit suggestions. If the plane thing interests you, build one you like. There's a 80% chance it's a navy or marine bird.

BTW, like your avatar.

"Hey ho, let's go
Shoot'em in the back now
What they want, I don't know
They're all reved up and ready to go
They're forming in straight line
They're going through a tight wind
The kids are losing their minds"

let me give some examples of aircraft that can be used in this category, these are examples... there are many more!

Sopwith Tryplane

Bruster F2A Buffalo

Chance Vought F4U Corsair,

Grumman F4F Wildcat

Grumman F6F Hellcat

Grumman F8F Bearcat

Douglas TBD Devastator

Douglas SBD Dauntless

Curtiss SB2C Helldiver

Vought SB2U Vindicator

Vultee A-31 Vengeance

Brewster SB2A Buccaneer

Ryan FR Fireball

Aichi D3A

Mitsubishi F1M "Pete"

Mitsubishi A6M Zero

Mitsubishi A7M Reppu "Sam"

Nakajima B5M "Kate"

Yokosuka D4Y "Judy"

Supermarine Seafire

Hawker Sea Hurricane

Hawker Sea Fury

Fairy Firefly

Fairey Barracuda

Messerschmitt BF-109T Trägerflugzeug

Northrup F-5

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom

Dassault Rafale

Vought F-8 Crusader

Grumman F14 Tomcat

Boeing F18 Hornet

Lockheed F-35

Sukhoi SU-33

Mig-29K

Harrier

List goes on of course with further reserch...

Latest posts

Back