Q&A | Aircraft Group Build - Navy and Marine Aircraft

Sorry, missed that...

So Humbrol PRU. What’s that in the Vallejo Range?

Hmmm...

According to this, it’s called Non-Specular Blue-Grey by the US Navy and Dark Prussian Blue by Vallejo.

You know what... I might just go for that. Let’s just hope that the kit isn’t as bad as I’ve heard...

f2k said:
Sorry, missed that...

Hmmm...

According to this, it’s called Non-Specular Blue-Grey by the US Navy and Dark Prussian Blue by Vallejo.

You know what... I might just go for that. Let’s just hope that the kit isn’t as bad as I’ve heard...

I can' speak for that particular kit, but if go Acedemy or Hasegawa in 1/48, you can't go wrong. Academy's kit is also around the $30.00 mark.

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=MH2215

Does Hasegawa make a kit for the F-5?

The only readily avaliable P38/F-5 kit I could find was the Italeri kit.

f2k said:
Sorry, missed that...

Hmmm...

This color apparently changed a lot but by the time the F-5B was introduced the paint supply seem so have stabilized.

What you want is Synthetic Haze Blue. XtraColor X160. They seem to be the only people brewing that particular color. That said blues did tend to fade and weather quickly so you have some leeway. Note, it is not the same as RAF P.R.U. Blue, which appears to be darker.

Check this out:
USAAF Markings and Camouflage 1941-1947

If you don't have an account on scribd I suggest you all get one. That goes for everyone. Free refference material! ;D

Anyway, I did just notice that the kit you have is for an F-5E. That is a field conversion. The nose is completely different than a production line recon bird. The old monogram kit has the correct nose. Well it used to anyway. :p From what I gather all P-38 kits have their issues. It's just a tough shaoe to get right. Some aircraft are like that. What can you do? Dig in and hunker down. It's only plastic.

One more thing while I'm at it. Trying to nail down a color from a photographic print is a tough job. There are so many things that effect tone and hue in a print. The negative, paper used, chemicals used, temperature, you name it. You really need a body of photographs to be able to make a call as to an accurate match. One or two photo's really don't prove anything.

I'm not really a rivet counter but I do believe in getting the right colors and markings on the right airframes. ;D

Enjoy!

Oh, and don't blame me if you spend the rest of the day on scribd. LOL ;D ;D ;D

As previously Posted.... I also picked a EA-6B Prowler for the Naval Group Build !

I chose the Kinetic Prowler since it was newly released and I didn't have to buy too much After market stuff... like for the Monogram one !!! and I will apply the Jammin Jihad Sqn markings instead of the Patriots markings that comes with the Boxing !

Based in Afghanistan (Land Based) Navy Aircraft stick out like soar thumbs....

2 of them were painted in pretty wild Camo colors... and this is why I am doing this build !

I looked all around the world for the "Afterburner Decal sheet" ! and could not secure it ! Till I found this Model Shop in Thunder-bay Ontario Canada & Glad I did !!! They had them in stock and they should be here by the end of next week !!!

Take a look at what they have !!! at FlightDecs.ca
They have a great selection and good prices to !!!
I have included a Link to my Review of that kit ! it's a Beast !

If you buy on "Ebay" from China !!! buyer beware !! watch the movie and you will find out why ?
I count myself very lucky to have my MODEL in hand !!!

Kinetic EA-6B Prowler OOBR.mp4

f2k said:
A thousand thanks, guys. This is a really interesting discusion.

ShutterAce, any chance of getting the name of that book? I've been through Amazon, looking for books on the Lightning, but I'm not entirely sure if any of them are any good.

Also, does anyone have the exact name of the colour used? I mean: in terms of current off-the-shelf model colours. The two planes in the picture above seems to be rather different colours. One very light blueish grey and one dark blue...

i think a lot of the time too... the paint would often fade in the sun, from the Navy blue too what looks like that bright gray blue... i think... not 100 percent sure... but some aircraft also recieved different colors of blue... like a grayest blue like mentioned above.. so even if your color is off, you could say its just beacuse of weathering if you wanted....

do you guys agree?

ShutterAce said:
f2k said:
Sorry, missed that...

Hmmm...

This color apparently changed a lot but by the time the F-5B was introduced the paint supply seem so have stabilized.

What you want is Synthetic Haze Blue. XtraColor X160. They seem to be the only people brewing that particular color. That said blues did tend to fade and weather quickly so you have some leeway. Note, it is not the same as RAF P.R.U. Blue, which appears to be darker.

Check this out:
USAAF Markings and Camouflage 1941-1947

If you don't have an account on scribd I suggest you all get one. That goes for everyone. Free refference material! ;D

Anyway, I did just notice that the kit you have is for an F-5E. That is a field conversion. The nose is completely different than a production line recon bird. The old monogram kit has the correct nose. Well it used to anyway. :p From what I gather all P-38 kits have their issues. It's just a tough shaoe to get right. Some aircraft are like that. What can you do? Dig in and hunker down. It's only plastic.

One more thing while I'm at it. Trying to nail down a color from a photographic print is a tough job. There are so many things that effect tone and hue in a print. The negative, paper used, chemicals used, temperature, you name it. You really need a body of photographs to be able to make a call as to an accurate match. One or two photo's really don't prove anything.

I'm not really a rivet counter but I do believe in getting the right colors and markings on the right airframes. ;D

Enjoy!

Oh, and don't blame me if you spend the rest of the day on scribd. LOL ;D ;D ;D

XD perhaps i said it too late.

An interesting read. Yes, one might spend way too long on that site...

Actually, that book contained a picture of the camo-scheme I had originally intended to use:

119-438b54ff2e.jpg

But that seems to be a non-navy aircraft.

I also found another picture of the blue Lightning from earlier in the thread:

1477810298_9aa5fe45fd_z.jpg

What's the yellowish thing on the booms?

Gundamhead said:
That's exhaust staining from the superchargers.

was just going to say that... lol

you can get some staining from the guns too... but since this variant has no guns, it does not have that.

No no, 'Tora! Tora! Tora!' used A6M2. :p ;D

The closest best phrase for an A6M5 would be 'Banzai! Banzai! Banzai!' 8)

Latest posts

Back