PVA Works Nice as a finish

pitstop25

Wayne Reed
PVA works really well. You dont get a deep shine but its also not flat. Sort of in the middle. It looks really good. I will do some more testing over the coming weeks to see if i can get it to shine more.

Its so easy to put on aswell you can use a brush or airbrush. You can put it on right out of the bottle or thin it with water.

And the best part is its so cheap I got 500ml for £1

On a side note if you are going to try this if you have not already done so please if you are going to try with PVA wood glue then do a test. I have not used that i am using PVA school glue.

And remember if you use it in an airbrush to clean it out really well as its glue it will dry in there and you will be in a world of hate.

Interesting. Never would have thought to use PVA glue as a finish. I wonder how well it holds up over time.

Grendels said:
My worry would be that it would yellow over time.
It should not do that as PVA these days does not seem to do that but it is a chance i guess.

TiM said:
It may also run the risk of absorbing water ?

I cant see how it would as it tunes to rubber when its dry. Its also used as a waterproofing agent in the real world. So all should be good there.

Like i have said i have only done a short test on the model i am working on now and so far every thing is awesome. I do like this feed back as this is things we can watch for. The more we test the more we will learn :)

Right found the first problem. If you are doing weathering you cant hard with it or the PVA peels. So on that i would say if you need to do any rubbing of any kind on a model dont use pva. Its find other then that.

Vallejo sell 500ml bottles of there finishes they cost about 8quid and you don't need to worry about any thing and 500ml bottle will last donkeys

::) Why ?
..... I think there is a reason this isn't done ;D
It doesn't adhere to plastic well and certainly you must be thinning the stuff to shoot it thru an airbrush .
It shrinks MEGA as it cures ! I predict it will begin to remove itself .... especially if handled :(

... But I do like the experimentation ;) ....
You have some pics ?

spud said:
Vallejo sell 500ml bottles of there finishes they cost about 8quid and you don't need to worry about any thing and 500ml bottle will last donkeys

500ml? or 200ml? Haven't seen anything bigger than 200ml from Vallejo. Biggest available on this side of the pond are the 60ml in their polyurethane line, but they work marvelously!

urumomo said:
::) Why ?
..... I think there is a reason this isn't done ;D
It doesn't adhere to plastic well and certainly you must be thinning the stuff to shoot it thru an airbrush .
It shrinks MEGA as it cures ! I predict it will begin to remove itself .... especially if handled :(

... But I do like the experimentation ;) ....
You have some pics ?

No pics put i can put one up later of what can go wrong using this stuff. I think it would be more easy to use TNT then PVA. The plan has backfired big time.

But hay you dont know these things until you try them. So on to the next plan diping the bugger in wax pmsl

Yeah i will be getting some Spud. It seems sometimes you pay for what you get so i cant save money here but in other area's i have so its evened out ok :)

i can put one up later of what can go wrong using this stuff.
:p always cool to experiment .
I think you'll see when the temp and humidity change --- it will probably craze and begin to defoliate ???

... now I'm real curious . , but , this seems like something you would do after the end of the world and supplies were scarce or gone ;) ... or never

Out of curiosity - what are you " waterproofing in the real world .." with white glue ?

urumomo said:
i can put one up later of what can go wrong using this stuff.
:p always cool to experiment .
I think you'll see when the temp and humidity change --- it will probably craze and begin to defoliate ???

... now I'm real curious . , but , this seems like something you would do after the end of the world and supplies were scarce or gone ;) ... or never

Out of curiosity - what are you " waterproofing in the real world .." with white glue ?

Lol they use it in the building world bud. For plaster work is 1 thing we use it for.

Yeah ,, ok . That's not waterproofing .
I do know what you're talking about . I'm a third generation carpenter

It can be and cant be. It all goes by what side of a board you are skim coating and if its and old wall or a new wall. My uncle is a plaster :)

but its all of topic. See thats your fault lmao.

Latest posts

Back