Fabric Dye Powder as Pigments

CY343491

Hi,
I've bought some fabric dye powders to use them as pigments on models and dioramas. Main idea was they have huge variety of colors and extremely cheap compared to branded and pastel pigments. Have anyone tried this before?

Hi,
I've bought some fabric dye powders to use them as pigments on models and dioramas. Main idea was they have huge variety of colors and extremely cheap compared to branded and pastel pigments. Have anyone tried this before?
Never used them as pigments, they may dissolve when used so would be interested to see how it goes.
Pantherman

I've never used fabric dye powders. I have a set of pastel chalk sticks that I bought years ago at a local art supply store, for ten bucks. It's a set of earth colors, ranging from brown through reddish brown and sienna and umber, plus a stick of black and a yellow with a tinge of brown. I use those for weathering, from dusting on with a brush, to mixing with a water and dishwashing liquid to make mud. I refuse to pay Mig, Mr Tamiya, etc, for something I can make myself.

I've never used fabric dye powders. I have a set of pastel chalk sticks that I bought years ago at a local art supply store, for ten bucks. It's a set of earth colors, ranging from brown through reddish brown and sienna and umber, plus a stick of black and a yellow with a tinge of brown. I use those for weathering, from dusting on with a brush, to mixing with a water and dishwashing liquid to make mud. I refuse to pay Mig, Mr Tamiya, etc, for something I can make myself.
I also have an earth colour pastel set that I use. I have a little metal tea strainer to grind them into a plastic container, works brilliantly and a fraction of the cost for pigments.
Pantherman

I also have an earth colour pastel set that I use. I have a little metal tea strainer to grind them into a plastic container, works brilliantly and a fraction of the cost for pigments.
Pantherman
i'm alsp using pastels (soft pastels), at first times i was using 200 grit sandpaper but it was too time consuming and creates a mess, strainer is better i think. Now i'm using mortar and pestle, it's the best way in my opinion. For the pastel type you can both use soft and hard pastels.
Bythe way i've collected many pigments but never had a chance to weather with them.

I've also tried that but in my opinion sandpaper is less time consuming than knife blade technique. But there's a disadvantage that some pigments stick on sandpaper and your hands.
I have found no issues with my strainer. Just wear a glove, pigment goes straight into the pot all ready to use.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20230412_192939.jpg
    20230412_192939.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back