Pigments versus Pastels

bdr65

" Ouch, Cut me finger again "
Hi Folks,
Iam wondering about the pro's and con's on using ready
made pigments as opposed too using artists pastels.

" The price i already know about "

As i have only recently got back into this hobby, pigments
are completely new to myself. It's been about 17 years
since i last cut my fingers building a scale model ;D

I used artist pastels and oil paints for weathering back
then. Iam just damn curious about this issue.

I thankyou all in advance for enlightning me :-\

It my opinion it boils down to a couple things.

Ease of use: As it's ready to go right out of the bottle, there's no grinding or mixing needed.

Scale color: Most times I see pastels being used right off the stick and the color is far too vibrant, too vivid.

Ken Abrams said:
It my opinion it boils down to a couple things.

Ease of use: As it's ready to go right out of the bottle, there's no grinding or mixing needed.

Scale color: Most times I see pastels being used right off the stick and the color is far too vibrant, too vivid.

Thanks Ken

I recall reading pastels have binding agents in them also, so are not as "pure" as potted pigments.

There are any number of threads on the subject, the conclusion (as is usually the case with such aspects of our hobby) is to use what works for a given desired effect and caters to the preferences of the model builder/artist.

When it comes pastels there is a wide disparity in product and formula ranging from very dry/soft chalk (very little binder), to hard (lots of binder), to oil based (you DONT what those).

While we think of modeling pigments as "pure" it has been demonstrated over and over that that is not necessarily the case. A while back a member here did a video showing how some brands have binding agents while others require a medium (though over-coating any is always recommended unless you never ever ever ever EVER plan to touch the model again).

Thanks Tim and Sunsanvil. After reading all three replies Iam going
with pigments. Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back