varnish over pigments?

clockw1se

Hi,
Can anybody tell me if i can use varnish over vallejo pigments without destroying the effect? (color, wet mud ...)?

greetings from Luxembourg,
clock out!

Any sort of varnish over any kind of pigments will tend to diminish the effect that pigments have.

The last kit I put pigments on I didn't do a final matt coat for that reason. Instead I used IPA and Mig Spirits on the kit with the pigments and it seemed to make the pigments adhere to the kit, so no need for a matt coat to hold it all in.

I would still recommend using varnish. Even with alcohol the pigments can still come off fairly easy in my experience.

Varnish, however, does diminish the effect a good deal. So you should probably go somewhat overboard with the pigments before varnishing the model.

I know some people dont seal their pigments, but for my part, unless you plan on never touching the model again....ever...then I would varnish over dry pigment work. Wetwork on the other hand, such as pigments applied with acrylic mediums or varnishes, are already in a binder of course and don't need anything further to make them permanent.

Latest posts

Back