Pigments Vs. Pastel chalk

noc5659

I have used ground up pastel chalk to simulate fine dirt and dust on my armor models. I usually do this as the last step in the weathering process and fix it with a flat varnish. I am thinking about buying some Mig weathering pigments. Are they basically the same as what I have been using or is the effect going to be different?

Thanks

I use a mixture of both myself ,I still think the pastels are very useful ,The thing with the Pigments is they come in a much wider variety of colours and the pigment is very fine ,But they are used in the same way ,put on dry ,or with water ,or thinners and the pigments have a fixer too .

Chris.

noc5659 said:
Are they basically the same as what I have been using

In short, not really...

To create pastel chalks, they mix pigments with some kind of binder (like chalk or gypsum) and this is what hardens and creates the 'stick' that you hold in your hand.

I've even read claims that these various aftermarket pigments are merely ground up pastel sticks, but that's pretty silly. Surely a company with the ability to package, label and mass market a product, would be smart enough to simply buy the raw pigment before that process takes place? ;)

MIG has one of the strongest binders in aftermarket pigments I have used and certain colors are very, very colorfast and almost 'stain' the surface. This can work for you, or against you depending on how you use the product. There is a bit of a learning curve, It certainly wont be as forgiving as pastels.

Thanks, Sunsanvil, for the reference, I thought I remembered the prior discussion.

Yes, as noted, pastel chalks and commercially-made pigment powders are not exactly the same thing. However, it's a matter of personal preference, which ones we each choose to use.

Personally, I prefer pastel chalks, because I'm cheap, and I get more for my dollar, by weight. I bought a set of a dozen chalks, in earth tones, for ten bucks at an art supply store. But I'll provide my own binding agents, as necessary. I've mixed chalk with drops of water and dishwashing liquid, for example, to make a sludge to brush on roadwheels or tracks on armor. But I won't say, don't buy Mig, or any other brand of prepared powders, I just prefer not to, myself.

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys. Ken your video sold me on the pigments. Just added some Mig pigments to my christmas list. ;D

I have some War Pigs. I have yet to use them. Anyone have any knowledge or experienced with them?

I have that album, too, Roy, but I don't listen to it much these days :D

Latest posts

Back