Maybe a dumb question

TimM63

When you’re airbrushing clear acrylic paint and are cleaning the airbrush, how do you know when it’s clean? It doesn’t spray color so IDK!! :rolleyes:

When you’re airbrushing clear acrylic paint and are cleaning the airbrush, how do you know when it’s clean? It doesn’t spray color so IDK!! :rolleyes:
Easy you clean the brush properly.

After a session I remove the needle & clean.

Remove the nozzle & cap. Place them in a little plastic container with airbrush cleaner in it overnight. Clean the paint holder using a brush & airbrush cleaner while the nozzle is disconnected.
Flush out

Have a Harder & Steenbeck mini blower. About £30. Nozzle fits into the back of the airbrush nozzle.
50 PSI blows out any rubbish.

Then view from the rear of the airbrush nozzle against white paper to see if the nozzle is perfectly clean.

Oil trigger mechanism. Perfect never fails but takes little worth while time.

There you go. Bob's your Uncle Fanny is your aunt. Although Fanny was my Parental grandmother.

Laurie

I'm no expert on airbrushing but I am a bit OCD so after each use I add water to the cup and using a little tooth plaque brush I give it a scrub. Empty the cup, spray out anything that's left.

Wipe out the cup, add water and repeat the above a couple of times.

Add cleaner to the cup and clean it with a cotton bud, remove the spray nozzle and clean it using the cleaner soaked bud.

Very carefully clean the needle tip, replace the nozzle and spray out the cleaner.

Add a little water to the cup and spray it out. Wipe down the whole airbrush body so no paint remains and it's shiny like the day it was purchased.

Do a full strip down and clean once a month. That's my way and always seems to work for me so far. Pantherman

If no paint coming at your desired pressure then it's clean, no need to tinkering

Sorry for laughing, Golanthius, it's just that your question sounds like a Steven Wright one-liner ("If I spill invisible ink, does it leave a stain?"). But as the others have noted, you can just follow your usual cleanup routine.
When I sprayed Future, for example, I just ran a little Windex through the brush ("Oh, no! Ammonia! Your airbrush will dissolve before your eyes!") then one or two paintcupfuls of water, then let it dry. I had no problems with it.

Sorry for laughing, Golanthius, it's just that your question sounds like a Steven Wright one-liner ("If I spill invisible ink, does it leave a stain?"). But as the others have noted, you can just follow your usual cleanup routine.
When I sprayed Future, for example, I just ran a little Windex through the brush ("Oh, no! Ammonia! Your airbrush will dissolve before your eyes!") then one or two paintcupfuls of water, then let it dry. I had no problems with it.
It was kinda meant to be a funny question.

I usually clean using lacquer thinner after each airbrush session. I know I’m getting a good cleaning. A word of caution… some paint brands don’t play nice with lacquer. Learned that the hard way a number of years ago.

I usually clean using lacquer thinner after each airbrush session. I know I’m getting a good cleaning. A word of caution… some paint brands don’t play nice with lacquer. Learned that the hard way a number of years ago.
Now i'm using the same method with no no problem, when i tried that method with my very first airbrush (harder&steenbeck ultra), it harmed sealants and screwed whole ab.

No need to be dumping a load of lacquer which is dangerous to health.

Clean the needle just innocuous thinners two wipes clean with kitchen roll.

Nozzle cap in small plastic shot glass 7.5mm thinner soak.

Wipe out cup thinners. just a few drops.

Better than blasting dangerous lacquer.

I just follow me regular cleaning proceedure.

I fill the cup with lacquer thinner, then spray into my booth.
Then I covere the tip of the airbrush and spray which causes the air to bubble up into the cup, effectively back-flushing the airbrush.
That gets it mostly clean right there. In fact if I have other colors to spray, that is where my cleaning stops.

After I have done all my airbrushing for that session, then I repeat the first steps. Fill the cup with lacquer thinner, spray, and back-flush. But then I take the tip and needle out. I place the tip and needle seat in a small cup of lacquer thinner. I swab out the airbrush body and run a pipe cleaner through it. Then I backflush the needle seat with a pipette. Then I reassemble everything. And before I put the needle in, I wipe it down with a cloth that has some lacquer thinner in it.

Don't let anyone talk you out of using lacquers. They are the best type of paint. And as long as you have proper ventillation, they are harmless.

Then I covere the tip of the airbrush and spray which causes the air to bubble up into the cup, effectively back-flushing the airbrush.
That gets it mostly clean right there. In fact if I have other colors to spray, that is where my cleaning stops.

After I have done all my airbrushing for that session, then I repeat the first steps. Fill the cup with lacquer thinner, spray, and back-flush. But then I take the tip and needle out. I place the tip and needle seat in a small cup of lacquer thinner. I swab out the airbrush body and run a pipe cleaner through it. Then I backflush the needle seat with a pipette. Then I reassemble everything. And before I put the needle in, I wipe it down with a cloth that has some lacquer thinner in it.

Don't let anyone talk you out of using lacquers. They are the best type of paint. And as long as you have proper ventillation, they are harmless.
While backflushing, it will be useful to wear protective glasses to protect your eyes, as there'll be so many thinner droplets going around.

I don't wear eye protection. A little splashes out while back flushing, but I am holding the airbrush in a rag, so I catch it all.

It has never once splashed up and hit me in the face.

I’m 100% in agreement on this comment especially the last paragraph. Tamiya also has a lacquer paint line as well so lacquer thinner is a must for that line of paint. I have a couple bottles of it myself and they spray wonderfully.
I just don’t understand why some folks here cry wolf on the dangers and act as naysayers on lacquer thinner. Proper ventilation is key with working with lacquer thinners. In fact, any thinner for that matter. Makes no difference what it is. All are stinky anyway so what’s the difference.

Back on track, lacquer thinner has always been my go-to thinner to clean my airbrush. I clean mine by spraying into a airbrush bottle IN my airbrush booth WITH the exhaust fan running as it sends the fumes outside via exhaust vent.
Besides, you’re working with so little of it in your cup to notice the fumes. As long as you have proper ventilation, you’re fine. Wear a mask, protect your eyes from backflush, etc..

I rarely do a backflush when cleaning my airbrush. I found a better method in cleaning the cup of my Paasche H AB. I soak my nozzle unit in a jar of lacquer thinner after each airbrushing session. I also have an extra set if I wanted to spray a different color.

Be aware that certain paint brands don’t play nice with lacquer thinner. Again, I use Tamiya thinner and other paint brand thinners as well. I just find lacquer thinner does a better job cleaning.

I’m 100% in agreement on this comment especially the last paragraph. Tamiya also has a lacquer paint line as well so lacquer thinner is a must for that line of paint. I have a couple bottles of it myself and they spray wonderfully.
I just don’t understand why some folks here cry wolf on the dangers and act as naysayers on lacquer thinner. Proper ventilation is key with working with lacquer thinners. In fact, any thinner for that matter. Makes no difference what it is. All are stinky anyway so what’s the difference.

Back on track, lacquer thinner has always been my go-to thinner to clean my airbrush. I clean mine by spraying into a airbrush bottle IN my airbrush booth WITH the exhaust fan running as it sends the fumes outside via exhaust vent.
Besides, you’re working with so little of it in your cup to notice the fumes. As long as you have proper ventilation, you’re fine. Wear a mask, protect your eyes from backflush, etc..

I rarely do a backflush when cleaning my airbrush. I found a better method in cleaning the cup of my Paasche H AB. I soak my nozzle unit in a jar of lacquer thinner after each airbrushing session. I also have an extra set if I wanted to spray a different color.

Be aware that certain paint brands don’t play nice with lacquer thinner. Again, I use Tamiya thinner and other paint brand thinners as well. I just find lacquer thinner does a better job cleaning.
My point & the way I clean do not have any spray going on what so ever.. I use about 20ml of cleaner. Have 5 brushes & they are all as clean as a whistle.

In the end you are in charge of your own life. Just had all my organs in lncluding heart checked over to by the Doc. He said they are in pristine order at 84. They are going to keep that way.

Reading this would certainly deter me from using lacquers.
https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/poison/lacquer-poisoning

Pristine Laurie

Latest posts

Back