PBY 5A Catalina 1/72

Well bear, you called it. I may have put a few bits together already, sorry, just couldn't resist as I had finished the ww1 tank.
View attachment 115673View attachment 115674View attachment 115675View attachment 115676View attachment 115677
Looking good.
The silver strip, are those pine derby weights for a pine car?
I made a pine derby car when I was in Boy Scouts.
my car lost all races so badly lol
Back then we were given a block of wood to carve our car from. Whereas nowadays the cars are pre-made... boooorrrinnggg
Nothing says independence than handing a kid a block of wood and a really sharp pocket knife!
"Here, son, go cut off a finger or two."

Last edited:
I'm not sure what happened.
I was coming upstairs to only  to  look at the kit. Then, all of the sudden an invisible force took out my airbrush and paint then started painting the interior a chromate green.

This scale is small but it's a pretty cool plane

20240331_213118.jpg

20240331_213127.jpg

I was coming upstairs to only  to  look at the kit. Then, all of the sudden an invisible force took out my airbrush and paint then started painting the interior a chromate green.

View attachment 115702

View attachment 115703
Seems to be a common occurrence around here. That’s why I didn’t open the Grumman Duck.

View attachment 115702

View attachment 115703
It must be something to do with this particular kit because the exact same thing happened to me.

Not much interior detail but it is a lovely kit to build. Which reminds me, I may have built quite a bit more. I just couldn't help myself. Pantherman
20240401_075244.jpg20240401_075253.jpg20240401_075259.jpg20240401_075308.jpg20240401_075322.jpg

I haven't even pulled the kit out of the stash yet!...lol
It sort of goes together well, makes you want to keep going. You need a fair bit of weight in the front so pack all the space you have. I thought I had over done it but it only just stays on the front wheel. Pantherman

It sort of goes together well, makes you want to keep going. You need a fair bit of weight in the front so pack all the space you have. I thought I had over done it but it only just stays on the front wheel. Pantherman
I put 50g just behind the cockpit back panel. It works, but only just. Pantherman

I put 50g just behind the cockpit back panel. It works, but only just. Pantherman
I have done a fraction more...... just got the decals and canopies to sort out. Think this will be a factory finish, no weathering.

I have somehow managed to push in one of the clear side windows.......I am going to try and retrieve it from the hole it came from if I can find the time and patience, or maybe just make another but my OCD just can't cope with the rattle every time I move it.

This was a lovely relaxing Easter 4 day build and I would certainly recommend the kit to anyone else, especially as its not too taxing and very little flash. Pantherman
20240401_210726.jpg20240401_210736.jpg20240401_210810.jpg20240401_210820.jpg

I have done a fraction more...... just got the decals and canopies to sort out. Think this will be a factory finish, no weathering.

I have somehow managed to push in one of the clear side windows.......I am going to try and retrieve it from the hole it came from if I can find the time and patience, or maybe just make another but my OCD just can't cope with the rattle every time I move it.

This was a lovely relaxing Easter 4 day build and I would certainly recommend the kit to anyone else, especially as its not too taxing and very little flash. Pantherman
View attachment 115770View attachment 115771View attachment 115772View attachment 115773
Great job!
It does look like a quick(ish) build as there are not a lot of parts.

View attachment 115770View attachment 115771View attachment 115772View attachment 115773
Looks awesome. It is a quick build. Good to practice the basics.
Decals are a bit delicate. Use caution and maybe a little extra time in the soak.

Cutting masks for these windows is not very easy. The detail is light that my masking tape would not work. I had to spray a bit of aluminum foil with adhesive and really rub it all down really well.

It looks like an Easter egg lol

View attachment 115781
I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to paint the "eggs" and cockpit canopy but I like your idea, might give that a go. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back