Parts Count, How Much Is Too Much

Tony lee

Hi All
I've been reading a thread over on ML on the subject of have we ask for too much in the way of parts count in a kit.
So far it seem the conscientious is that some kit manufacturers have gone overboard and for the most part are just too complicated to enjoy building anymore.

I don't feel that way myself because i'm not an avid scratch builder unless there is no alternative.
I also feel there are enough kit companies out there to fill anyone's needs and skill level without bad mouthing the parts count no matter how great or small.

So how do you feel about it?
Too many?
Too Little?
Indifferent?

Thanks for your opinion.
Tony lee

Now when you say "too much parts", can you put a number estimate on that?

Like, what's the parts ceiling on recent plastic kits?

[By the way, what's the ML forum?]

I feel the higher the parts count, the more enjoyment I get - there's just so much to have fun with and so much to do! However, I wouldn't want to build a model that was some 100,000 parts - that's just insane ;D

I like a build that will take me longer than a few days to do as i love the building stage and i agree with what you are saying tony, If you want a fast build buy tamiya if you want a complex one then bronco would be up yer street and if you want losta parts then mabe dragon or trumpeter. there is plenty out there to pic and choose form

Fruit the Hobbyboss M1070 Hett has over 1000 parts to it and thats a big ass kit but the avg dragon is around 500-600 and up

generally if it has over 200 parts then i'll avoid it. i realise some people get off on the building of a kit but i don't i prefer the painting and tinkering around with weathering and adding accessories

spud said:
I like a build that will take me longer than a few days to do as i love the building stage and i agree with what you are saying tony, If you want a fast build buy tamiya if you want a complex one then bronco would be up yer street and if you want losta parts then mabe dragon or trumpeter. there is plenty out there to pic and choose form

Fruit the Hobbyboss M1070 Hett has over 1000 parts to it and thats a big ass kit but the avg dragon is around 500-600 and up

I think it is closer to 1800 parts I think!

Bottom line, there are kits out there like Tamiya, easy to assemble, lower parts count, decent detail, , but could be better, then there is Bronco, highly detailed, not as an easy build as Tamiya, high detail, couldn't ask for much better, but crazy parts counts. And then there is everyone else in between.

Parts count can be intimidating, but I'm more worried about how a kit looks than how many pieces it has

Higher parts count means more glue to sniff. I guess I'm OK with 200-300 parts in a kit. But I'm funny in the way that if I'm in to the model I'm about to build then parts count is completely irrelevant. I'll build it if it has 1200 parts because I'm into it. For the record I've never purchased a kit for too many or too few parts. As long as their all there and very well detailed is far more important. By the same token I would rather not greebalize a kit to add more detail though I contradict myself when I add belts to a cockpit and piping onto engines. I'd prefer not to do it is what I really should be saying. High parts count....probably not needed to get more people in to the hobby. Just well engineered kits would suffice.

I like a happy medium...go figure. Like a few hundred is cool. I haven't really built anything with parts into the high hundreds...

Don't forget indy link tracks run up the parts count so don't let that scare you off.

You guys have given some great comments on the subject.

Appreciate it
Tony lee

It all depends on the subject and the quality of the kit for me. I've built 1/24 car kits with about 250 parts, it was a very nerve wracking build, but what a nice looking car when I was done (Fujimi Enthusiast Series Ferrari Dino 246). Another thing to consider is how long a build will it be, my 1/32 Academy CF-18 had a very high parts count but took me nearly a year to build, though at least a third of the parts were not used (optional weapons) and some were sustituted for resin, pe and white metal.

So as long its a subject I love, I dont mind building the high parts count kits (my Tamiya 1/32 Mustang is calling me)

although im a beginner i enjoy the detail aspect of building kits but i have only done revell witch in my opinion isnt detailed enough and one monogram....same. now im doing tamiya like all have said their part count is kinda low. if u buy the kit though it must mean you want to do it so id just sit back and enjoy and think of the finished kit. that is what fuels me ;D

My opinion...
My kit purchases are based on what looks cool, interesting, or has a personal connection. Second to that, the kit manufacturer's pedigree and past track record plays a big role (if I have the option of the same model from different manufacturers). Finally, the availability of AM parts (which in this day and age, is quite stupendous), if I decide to go that route. Parts count? I never even bother checking, myself. Price? If I'm interested in a kit, I'll find a way to get it!

Funny.....I just had a conversation about this the other night with some fellow modellers.

The gist of the conversation was that a high parts count usually means that the company making the kits is using 7-10 parts to make something when 2 or 3 will do just fine.

It seems like they are all trying to one up each other with their fancy mold abilities. In short a high parts count usually means they are over engineered.

Bronco, AFV Club, Dragon and sometimes Trumpeter are guilty of this. I still build them but more then once I have looked at the instructions of an assembly and cursed under my breath about the insanity of what they want me to build. Don't get me wrong, I love to build kits but I also wonder if sometimes its gone to far.

How many of us have kits in the stash we want to build but we pull it out, look at the parts count, the crazy insructions and go .."Hmm....I don't really feel up to this right now."

I know I do.

Jeff

*EDIT* I just had a very quick glance through that thread on ML. Its pretty much the same thing as what I said in my post.

Thanks Jeff
It seems the count matters little to a few people and the subject is what counts the most.
The majority look for ease of construction as the number one priority.

We've got the best of both worlds folks
Tony lee ;D

I'm good with manufacturers who have reasonable part counts. Not sure where my threshold is, I think it depend for me on the scale and subject.

What I can't understand is why some kits are manufactured with crazy high parts counts in areas that won't be seen by anyone after assembly. I understand that some guys open up the panels, and scratch build everything. But many modellers don't. At least with aircraft, my hat is off to Eduard, they often offer the same base kit in various (what I'll call) "trim packages"; those being "weekend", "Profipack" and in a few cases "Royal". I wish more manufactures would follow that product/business model...

JMax how many times have you heard it said "I know you can't see it but I know it's there"?

Different strokes for different folks ;D
Tony lee

I'd guess that my threshold is a couple of hundred parts. It would really depend on the subject. As long as its well detailed and crisply molded I'm happy. It does seem that some manufacturers enjoy seeing just how many parts they can break something down into though. ???

I have indi links tracks. Otherwise parts count in Dragon's Panzer IV is a bit extreme + add the PE goodies...

Latest posts

Back