P51 D vs. Fw190D

schweinhund227

We are having a little Club Build at my Local Club here in Kingston, ON. and the subject is Friend or Foe !

the goal is easy.... Display 2 adversaries from any era ! Air to Air or Ground or Sea Elements, all is Good ! I like Open subjects like that.... as peoples don't feel contained in building out of their comfort zone...

So far we have a few peoples that are working on various subjects and it may turn out Good ! once peoples are done with their models.... probably near Xmas we should see more models make it to our Club Case in Leading Edge Hobbies....

Me ! I picked Two easy subject ! the P51D Mustang and Fw 190D Two great 1/48th Tamiya kits which I build in 1 day each. I got them for peanuts from HLJ during one of their Huge Tamiya 70% off !!!! with Free shipping... so they came at 20$ ea. a Steal !!!

The Tamiya Fit on these is phenomenal ! I didn't have to glue the wings... its so good ! But I did ! since that's the Game ! right !

Tamiya was nice enough to give me a Pre stenciled Mask ! to enable me to do the nice Curve masking necessary for the paint scheme on the Mustang.... all you need to do is follow the line with an Xacto knife or scissors and tack in place... and mask the remainders of the plane and Go ! Nicely done Tamiya ! You got my VOTE !

as for the Fw190 I have use a lot of Maskol from Humbrol to define a clean zone where the Molting will go ! after the Top Camouflage has been done.... what's underneath is a Light Blue color which will be patched up partially with the molting... The Belly is Bright Red ! for the JV44 Sqn. Although I doubt these "very two" airplanes ever saw each other in the sky... the A/C Type sure did !

I am not after a Show Model here... just trying to support my Local Club endeavors !!! and promote modeling at our LHS.... so far this venture in the Airplane world is a Good one !!! Thanks to Tamiya !

I haven't touched these guys in a while now.... I am fighting a bad case of the Flu !!! so I have no energy for that or anything else in between ! I just wanted to share with you where I was at on this !

Hope to bring you some more pictures at a later time.....

later guys !

DSC08228_resize.jpg

Looks like you're well on your way to having a couple of very nice models there.

i cant wait to see what your mustang looks like finished, im making my own mustang as well, but i cant seem to find a FW-109D-9 anywhere. im also looking for a P-47D Thunderbolt.

I keep checking HLJ for Tamiya sales.... If I were you! I got both of those for 12$ea. On sale.

I started working on those two birds again.... Got the wheels on and gave the Fw 190 a coat of darker green to start on the camo.... And took off the latex mask..... So far so good... A little touch up job to do and I'll start on the mottling... To blend it all in!

The mustang needs a touch up on the green part..... Manhandling the silver did leave some flakes on the dull green and they won't clean up! So.... A quick pass should hide those blemishes...

I'll post more shots when I get the chance.

Later.

guess what, my diorama if you want to check it out, is going to include a P-51D Mustang, and a FW-190D-9 duking it out! yep i found a Tamiya FW-190D-9 for a reasonable price at tower hobbies XD, i also have a 1/48th scale M-26 Pershing, may be doing battle with a Tiger tank or Panther tank on the same diorama... if you want to see it go check it out man XD

Hope, we get some Pictures of the 190 soon. The Jagdverband 44 is a very special Unit. Its a part of our local history, here :) The JV44 based at Freilassing Airport, some Kilometers away. Their Job was to protect the Messerschmitt 262 during take off and landings. It was the only way for allied Fighters to intercept them. It wasnt allowed to attack any Bombers or other Aircraft! Cause german Flak-Gunners were very nervous at this stage of War, they get a bright red unterbelly with white strips. This very unusual colour, brought them the nickname "Papageienvögel" should prevent them for friendly Flak-Fire. They also had funny inscriptions like "Verkafft´s mei Gwand, i fahr in Himmel" (Sell my clothes, I will go to heaven". There were just a few Fighters operational. 4 190´s D-9 or D-11 most of the time.

I might try to keep on working on both of them during the Hollidays...

Very interesting to read a little more history about that SQN, Thanks!

Latest posts

Back