GWH 1/72 F-14 D

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphi...ide-scale-drone-operation/#Vw2DiV-Z-i8twitter

"I'd prefer nobody knew about it, but the information is out there," said Col. Michael Shenk. "It's more important to me that folks get the accurate information about what we are doing."

In a secured spot, there is a control room. It is among just 12 around the country where simulated cockpits will allow pilots to control unmanned MQ-9's or attack drones to war-zones thousands of miles away.

It has been quite a while, and I seemed to have gone from zero to 60 in terms of in progress pics, but this is where it is at now.

tried to match weathering I have seen in pics without overdoing it. The hardest part was the streaks from the wings

I tried to get that "mottled" look that is very distinctive of the F-14 weathering I have seen using white oils dabbed onto the surface and blended a bit

using these as reference

Right overwing fairing.jpg
Right upper intake.jpg
turtle_back_2.jpgright_upper_wing.jpg
Hope to get it done soon. Cockpit is not glued on yet as I still have an odd fit issue and where it mates with the front but...

P2061840a.JPGP2061846a.JPG
P2061842a.JPG
P2061844a.JPGP2061843a.JPG
P2061847a.JPG

Last edited:
It has been quite a while, and I seemed to have gone from zero to 60 in terms of in progress pics, but this is where it is at now.

tried to match weathering I have seen in pics without overdoing it. The hardest part was the streaks from the wings

I tried to get that "mottled" look that is very distinctive of the F-14 weathering I have seen using white oils dabbed onto the surface and blended a bit

using these as reference

View attachment 113314
View attachment 113317
View attachment 113319View attachment 113318
Hope to get it done soon. Cockpit is not glued on yet as I still have an odd fit issue and where it mates with the front but...

View attachment 113303View attachment 113302
View attachment 113304
View attachment 113306View attachment 113305
View attachment 113307
That's some mighty fine work, I like it. Pantherman

Great Wall Hobby has an amazing kit. I remembered seeing a review in Fine Scale Modeler and originally picked it up because out of the box you can build one in take-off position without needing any after market parts

View attachment 92951

There are 4 different marking options, 2 CAG birds, and one in High VIs Legacy scheme from 25th anniversary
I will be using the generic non-CAG one

You have the option to display just about anything you could think of in open/closed/deployed states from the Radar dome to the air intake mechanisms

This thing has all the bells and whistles a modeler could want, expect for pilot figures :D

So I picked up Pilot and RIO from Reed Oak
http://reedoak.com/#!/1-72/c/13281312/offset=100
The details on the pilots are amazing

Although to fit, I had to cut off the feet, do a little sanding on the inner calf and for the RIO I had to cut off the arm and reposition it

Forgive me if this a dumb question though, but isn't there supposed to be that yellow/black striped handle thing on top of these ejection seats, or are these a different model that does not have those

It seems off that all the fiddley detail they put into this thing it would be one detail like that to leave off?
View attachment 92953
View attachment 92966View attachment 92965

View attachment 92952

I mean they give your different options for the intake air bleed configuration.

I had to send some time trying to figure out when these should be in the open/closed states when in take off

I think I got it right. The closed states seem to be for supersonic speed?

View attachment 92954
View attachment 92955
View attachment 92956
View attachment 92957

I haven't glued the parts yet other than the piston thing since I have to get in there to paint it
I love these GWH kits. I did an F-15 in 1/72

I love these GWH kits. I did an F-15 in 1/72

They are great kits. Very detailed and you have the option for just about anything. There are also parts in their to build a couple different F-14 variants as well. Very impressed by them and would love to get the F-15 kit

Latest posts

Back