GWH 1/72 F-14 D

blakeh1

Great Wall Hobby has an amazing kit. I remembered seeing a review in Fine Scale Modeler and originally picked it up because out of the box you can build one in take-off position without needing any after market parts

1661209787748.jpeg

There are 4 different marking options, 2 CAG birds, and one in High VIs Legacy scheme from 25th anniversary
I will be using the generic non-CAG one

You have the option to display just about anything you could think of in open/closed/deployed states from the Radar dome to the air intake mechanisms

This thing has all the bells and whistles a modeler could want, expect for pilot figures :D

So I picked up Pilot and RIO from Reed Oak
http://reedoak.com/#!/1-72/c/13281312/offset=100
The details on the pilots are amazing

Although to fit, I had to cut off the feet, do a little sanding on the inner calf and for the RIO I had to cut off the arm and reposition it

Forgive me if this a dumb question though, but isn't there supposed to be that yellow/black striped handle thing on top of these ejection seats, or are these a different model that does not have those

It seems off that all the fiddley detail they put into this thing it would be one detail like that to leave off?
P8202340 (2).JPG
P8222346 (2).JPGP8222344 (2).JPG

P82223391 (2).JPG

I mean they give your different options for the intake air bleed configuration.

I had to send some time trying to figure out when these should be in the open/closed states when in take off

I think I got it right. The closed states seem to be for supersonic speed?

P8222357.JPG
P8222356.JPG
P8222355 (2).JPG
P8222351 (2).JPG

I haven't glued the parts yet other than the piston thing since I have to get in there to paint it

Last edited:
This may have been answered in regards to the seat, but the "D" model of the F-14 had different seats that the "A" model. The ejection loop/handle was between the legs, not on top of the seats. I was wondering the same thing on my build until I looked it up. This is a pretty cool build, looking forward to seeing what comes from it.

This may have been answered in regards to the seat, but the "D" model of the F-14 had different seats that the "A" model. The ejection loop/handle was between the legs, not on top of the seats. I was wondering the same thing on my build until I looked it up. This is a pretty cool build, looking forward to seeing what comes from it.
Thanks for that tidbit!

Exactly the info I was looking for

I am glad I did not try scratching those loops. I was going to

Does anyone now what function these highlighted parts are for? i.e. why is one pointing downward while the other option is straight

And more importantly, which would be the appropriate option for takeoff position

1667918359093.png

And a second question,

what is the open state vs closed state purpose here. Is this an airbrake for landing, or would this be up when preppring for take-off?

1667918497926.png

Those tabs at the rear of the ventral fins are tow bar attachments so they are normally always stowed . ( upward )
http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-towbar.htm

The other is the upper section of the split speed brakes .
Closed for takeoff .
Used for air combat maneuvering and carrier recovery
http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-speedbrake.htm

You can see the speed brake retracting here @ about the 2:55 mark :

View attachment 95046

Thanks for the info!

So build tow bars up and dorsal brakes closed then for take off

Looks like I made a mistake though with the wings for takeoff as I have built it with the spoilers raised, but they apparently would only be that way when landing

I have seen commercial airlines raise them while taxiing, or briefly before take-off.

Maybe chalk it up to some kind of pre-flight control check that was captured at just the it moment in time rather than actually in the act of launching?

Or, maybe the spoilers could be up during taxi on the runway due to winds or something or just to keep it more grounded before dropping for take-off?

1667932043206.png

Set to play at the time you're speaking of :
Don't Blink !
They operate independently , like ailerons

Only one side at a time though .
Ward Carroll goes thru the whole thing in that video above

Although based on that last video maybe not totally excused as it sounded like they would raise one side, then the other rather than both.

Close artistic license enough to explain away

A friend of mine in Ordnance took me up there for flight ops at night .
I got to be up there where those guys are at the far right in that thumbnail for that Triple Tomcat Launch video up above .
Friggin awesome .

Or glass half full option?

GIves me an excuse to have to buy another one and have t in take off by swapping out one wing with them down on each, or one in take off one in landed

A friend of mine in Ordnance took me up there for flight ops at night .
I got to be up there where those guys are at the far right in that thumbnail for that Triple Tomcat Launch video up above .
Friggin awesome .

Sounds like a blast, literally!

I used to watch the A-10s take off as the start of the runway at the Willow Grove air base used to be right near the street and a parking lot across the street

I really miss the air shows there after it closed. I think the last airshow they had was the year the F-14 went down after stalling during one o it's maneuvers

Supposedly they are recently using the facilities now to remote pilot drones

Latest posts

Back