P-47D 'Big Ass Bird'

you're welcome Jason ,If you are stuck ...just ask ;)

Im off to get the OD on now ;D

Chris.

Don't ya love Alclad?
Base coat came out really well, nice work Chris. You're a busy man lately.

Thanks Myke ,yes I do love Alclads ;D Busy ...you dont know the half of it mate ::) ???

Chris.

That Alclad has a nice look to it! Really clean work you've got going there Chris. ;)

Thanks Fruit ,

I got the OD on ...and the decs after a lot of problems with them ::) If you've got Academy's P47-D 'Nose Art ' kit , I recomend you throw the decals away and get a good AM set ;)

Pics soon :)

Chris.

Chris S said:
If you've got Academy's P47-D 'Nose Art ' kit , I recomend you throw the decals away and get a good AM set ;)

What was the problem with the decals?

Hi Jason ,

To be honest I had my doubts about them from the start .They are very thin and brittle ,so brittle in fact that they broke up on contact !! As I had my doubts I started with the decals for around the nose ,the big red bits Thinking if they went wrong I could change the aircraft with out having to redo everything ,Im stuck because I have to do what came in the box ,so now she aint the Big ass Bird ,I changed to the other option in the kit 'Chief Ski-U-MAM II , So far working really carefully I've managed to get the decals down ok ,just have to add the Indian Chiefs head to the cowl ..which is a bit worrying ??? but I think I will get there .
But if you have this kit do yourself a favour and replace the decs . Im building this for a shop and needs to be what came out of the box ,s'pose I could have cheated and got an AM set ::) but I struggled on and Im nearly there ;)

Chris.

Maybe some decal film over the decals might help? Just depend if you're on a tight time line to finish the build for the shop.

microscale_liquid_decal_film.jpg

Jason

Must get some of that . But I dont think even that would help them .. lol I am kinda pushed ,should of had most of the build finished this weekend ::) ...But he's a friend ,he'll understand ;) only a day or so behind .

Chris.

Ok folks ,

As I mentioned earlier ,I ran into problems with the Decals on this one ...The Big Ass Bird decs pretty well fell to bits ::) So I had to go with the second option in the kit 'Chief Ski-U-MAH II ,I spent some time fighting with these too ,but eventually got there ,I still have a few tiny decs and the Indian Head to go on ,but I think its working out ok ???

Here's where she is at .....

DSCF4516.jpg
DSCF4517.jpg
DSCF4513.jpg
DSCF4515.jpg

Hopefully I can crack on and get her done this week ::)

Thanks for looking.

Chris.

Sorry to hear about the decal problem, but looks like you got it sorted out very well. This looks awsome chris!

Looking good! I've never had much luck with Academy decals.

Go Gophers! Ski-U-Mah!

Thanks guys ;)

Those decs were a real PITA :mad: Its not noticable in the pics ,but most of the Red parts needed repaired , the stripes on the tail ..bits just lifted out all over the place ! ,I repaired and made up paper masks ,then blew some Red over them with the AB , the no step anels on the wings also came apart at the edges ...touched in with a brush and again the red at the front was touched in Vallejo's Red 70947 is a near perfect match :)

Chris.

Excellent recovery Chris, the feat was surely a testament to your skill!

Your work continues to impress :)

Hi Chris,

kinda missed the party :-[

but have to say your P47 is to notch ;D

great stuff,

shane

Hi Shane ,sorry buddy ,I didnt see you come in there ::) Thanks for the comment ;)

Just a quick update on this one .

The engine has been fitted ,the cowl was painted ,decaled and fitted ,And the whole thing is getting the panel lines done at the minute ,just have to finish the panel lines on the underside then I'll add more parts and do some weathering ....Nearly done ;D

DSCF4539.jpg
DSCF4542.jpg

DSCF4541.jpg
DSCF4543.jpg

Hoping the next update will be the last for this one ...really want it done and outta here ::)

Thanks for looking.

Chris.

Latest posts

Back