P-47D 'Big Ass Bird'

Chris S

Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
Hi folks ,

This is just a 'WIP' .Its another quick out of the box build for the shop ,Im hoping to have most of the paint done by Wednesday and maybe finished at the weekend ...thats the plan anyway ::)

Its Academys 1/48 scale P-47 ....nice kit and she'll be finished in these colours .....

p47bab.jpg

DSCF4488.jpg
DSCF4489.jpg
DSCF4487.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Chris.

Wow, gonna be.... colorful that's for sure. Can't wait to see it finished mate!

Cool Chris. I had a G.C. for my LHS and picked up an Academy P-47 this last weekend. Looking forward to following your build (as always).

Jason (JMac)

Looking nice! The instrument panel- how do you paint the gauges and suck? Drybrushing? Decals? It looks so perfect.

Thanks fella's :)

As I said ,this is just a wip as Im under a bit of pressure at the minute ,but Im hoping to have an update mid week ,if all goes well she should be in paint using Alclad II Aluminium and Burnt metal .

trekriffic said:
Looking nice! The instrument panel- how do you paint the gauges and suck? Drybrushing? Decals? It looks so perfect.

Nice to know I suck ??? ...lol least you're honest ;D , I know what you mean ,only joking ;)
There was no instrument Decals in this kit ,but the detail is well molded ,so the panel got a coat of flat Black followed by some gentle Dry brushing (light Grey ) After that I give it a very thin Black wash ,the wash helps to kill the dry brush effect a bit ,then I just picked out a few lights and things ;)

Chris.

Thanks FT , nice to see you around again too ;)

Chris.

Thanks Roy ,its a bit basic ..but it'll do ,its only a quick build for a window display so the inside will never be seen anyway :)

Chris.

Hey Chris, I forgot to mention earlier that it's great to see you building something with stripes. ;D

Thanks Jmac .....I like the stripes too ;D ;D ;D

DSCF3397.jpg

Chris.

Spud ....go finish something ;D ;)

Adam,Thanks fella . Those stripes are painted on ,although they did come as decals in the kit ( Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter TF MK X )

Chris.

Hi folks :)

I was hoping to have most of the painting finished on this today ,but I have a lot on and time was against me :(
However ..I did get to play with the Alclads ;D The whole airframe and a few other parts got Alclad Aluminium applied straight over the polished plastic ....came out ok I think :) ,I'll finish painting tomorrow ,just got the OD to go on the top .

Sorry about the dust in a couple of the pics ,I had just given the paint a buff and forgot to wipe it clean ::)

DSCF4495.jpg
DSCF4492.jpg
DSCF4494.jpg
DSCF4493.jpg
DSCF4491.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Chris.

Chris S said:
I did get to play with the Alclads ;D The whole airframe and a few other parts got Alclad Aluminium applied straight over the polished plastic.

Wow, really. I'm not trying to be funny or anything. The pictures and your post are really surprizing to me. Everything I've read says that you need to polish the surface like crazy, then gloss black it. Then polish some more. Then finally apply the Alclads. That whole proceedure seemed like a ton of work and has given me enough reason not to use Alclads. Alclads look wicked, and I would love to try them out, but I never have out of fear of messing up the required prep work. But if it's just a case of making sure everything is super smooth, clean and free of mould release...

Is it really that easy? Any special secrets to it?

Jason

Hi Jmac ,Believe me you have nothing to fear with Alclads .

Here is what I did .
After all the joints were sanded (which didnt require any filler ) using 800 grade wet and dry ,I sanded them again with 1500 and finally 2000 ,you need to make sure any sanded areas are completely smooth and scratch free .Once that was done the plastic was degreased ,I used an automotive degreaser that I normally use in my paintshop its called Panel Wipe .From then on be sure to wear latex gloves so as not to put any grease back on the plastic . After that the plastic was polished again using cotton balls ,this time the whole aircraft was done .The key is to have a completely clean dust and grease free glossy surface .By the way ,spraying onto the plastic only works for the Alclads that are NOT high shine ..ie Aluminium .

Now ,when the plastic is clean I start spraying ...Very light coats at first this is the KEY coat ,in other words it gives the rest of the coats something to bite too. Let it dry ...about 10 mins then buff with a soft cloth . Do the same with the second coat ,only make this coat a bit heavier .A third coat is then applied ..same as the second ,leave to dry for about 20 mins then buff again with soft cloth to remove the drieness and bring up the shine .
Thats all there is too it ,just make sure the plastic is really clean ! For high shine finishes such as Chrome ...yes a gloss black base is required .

Oh ..and do make sure where you are painting is warm and dry ,Alclads dont like cold moist air ;)

Heres a link to the How To page on Alclads site

http://alclad2.com/how-to/

And thanks for the comment ;)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back