Omegaman's MPC Falcon build.

Grendels said:
I would be very careful with the paint. A lot of paints will block light. For example, metallic paints and black paints will block light. I don't think it will matter how thin those paints are either. I would experiment if you can.

Or you can just leave the rim of the fan unpainted. It will be hard to see too much detail under that photoetch vent.
I agree! I am thinking of painting the centre "hub" leaving the bottom and outer tube section to be lit.
I'm now thinking of lighting them from behind as they have a more pleasing glow rather than a "toy" like lights....

That does look like a cool idea with the vents and lighting. However, I would make it more subtle, maybe paint the center opaque, with no light bleeding through and a ring of light in the deepest recess, with the outside ring opaque with no light bleeding through. Almost as if the vent is radiating heat and cooling the vent all in the same process.

Sweet, stored that idea in the back of my brain. ;)

scratchy said:
That does look like a cool idea with the vents and lighting. However, I would make it more subtle, maybe paint the center opaque, with no light bleeding through and a ring of light in the deepest recess, with the outside ring opaque with no light bleeding through. Almost as if the vent is radiating heat and cooling the vent all in the same process.

Sweet, stored that idea in the back of my brain. ;)
That is the plan, The pic's are a little harsh though, I shot them with most of my lights of in the room and I obscured the flash. In the lit room it's quite good.
The plan is now to paint as you say and mount the LED's behind but not in the vent piece.
I did have just one snag last night which forced me to learn yet another first.... Part casting!!!! More to follow...

Ok, yesterday, I got a little too excited at putting LED's into my cooling vents and I only drilled right through the vent piece!!!!
IMG_5632.jpg

So, Now I need another skill, Casting my own vent!
First I made a mould for one of the other vents using a putty we use at work... Much like the stuff they use for making dentures.....
IMG_5634.jpg

As you can see I also filled it with a little resin...
Then I ground of what was left of the drilled out vent.
Then CA'd the new piece in....

IMG_5637.jpg

IMG_5638.jpg

While I was in a good mood for saving the vent, I thought I'd do some more... Those thust vector plates need seperating!!!!
IMG_5639.jpg

IMG_5642.jpg

Ok, It's too cold in my shop now and it's getting late! Time for me to go to sleep...
As ever, all comments very welcome. :)

Thanks people, it did put me back a little but it's all good now. :)
Another thing I'm doing is stripping off the pipes/cables from the upper and lower decks.
I really don't like that they are cast on, they don't look like they are round at all so I'm removing them and making new ones from metal rod. More on this later.
Thanks again for looking. ;)

Your build is looking very good Omegaman, I recently bought the same kit just before Christmas.....it really brings back memories of the 70's/80's.
What plans have you got for the other kit?
J

Jaitea said:
Your build is looking very good Omegaman, I recently bought the same kit just before Christmas.....it really brings back memories of the 70's/80's.
What plans have you got for the other kit?
J
Thank you Jaitea,
Not sure what to do with the other, maybe hack it up and build a one-off??? YT-3000????

Hi Oamegaman55,

I only just saw your post regarding the side walls height etc. So if you dont mind I have cut and past something I posted on SSM forum regarding the same thing. You mentioned 14mm and 16mm for the side walls which I think would have come from John Martins build at SSM. When speeking to John about my first build we found John had mis-quoted the side walls height in his blog. His were 15mm not 14. He has no idea why he put 14mm.

Anyway, If you have not already made adjustment to the walls here are my measurements and adjustments to the AMT Falcon against the 5 foot falcon. I have never made comparisments against the 32inch falcon so I dont know if it is a good reference when converting AMT to represent the 32 inch.

Mandible walls 15mm
Secondary circile Walls 15mm or 15.5
Engine grill 16mm

Overhang secondary circile 4.4mm
Overhang engine grill 8.75mm

Viewable area after overhang
Mandible walls 1.5mm
Seconday circile walls 13.5mm
Engine grill 11.5mm

For those wanting to correct the dish

Scanner dish 43.97mm

Side cones/escape pods

inner dia 38.69mm
outer dia 43.97mm
overhang 4.mm

Docking arms
Lenght 100.26m
Width top 28.14mm
width of sides walls/inner 47.49
width of side walls/ outer 33.42

Corrections to Cockpit tube and canopy
John Martins templates represent this very well.

Walkway
Diameter 43.79mm
Length/short part 99mm
Length/long part 121mm

Cockpit tube section
Diameter 43.79mm
Length long side 51.0mm
Lenght short side 24.62

Canopy
length 28.14
Diam rear 43.79mm

Windows
Centre window diam/inner 14.8mm
Center window diam/outer 18.8mm
Front split windows dia/inner 18.8mm
Four split windows dia/outer 30.5mm

Outer rim of front windows/diam 31.8mm

Here is a pic of when I built my new walls.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/guancheisland/Millennium%20Falcon/IMG_0236.jpg

And a pic of the actual 5' falcon wall. It looks correct width
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/guancheisland/Millennium%20Falcon/P1010058.jpg

And the other side compared
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/guancheisland/Millennium%20Falcon/IMG_0549.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/guancheisland/Millennium%20Falcon/12220234.jpg

PS: your falcon is looking good so far.

Ozzy

Hi Ozzy,

Thank you for the help even if it is a little late. ::)
Not to worry, I have all but fitted the side Walls to the lower hull and yep, I have problems but working through them....

I will post more pic's when I get more time....

Dose anybody know what base colours to use? Including the red, yellow and greys???
I think I'll be using Vallejo Model Air paints....

Thanks again Ozzy and all others, you know who you are! ;)

Thanks Ozzy, I bought an MPC just before christmas & these measurements will sort me out...

Omegaman, can you not post some of your updates on the group build thread also, yunno to keep all resources in one place

J

Jaitea said:
Thanks Ozzy, I bought an MPC just before christmas & these measurements will sort me out...

Omegaman, can you not post some of your updates on the group build thread also, yunno to keep all resources in one place

J

Hi Jaitea,

Ozzy is indeed a helpful chap! :)
As far as my posts go, I didn't enter the comp' so I didn't feel I should be in there :-\

Hey, Omega.
It's not a competition. Just a bunch of people building Falcons.
I can move this thread over there, if you'd like

Quaralane said:
Hey, Omega.
It's not a competition. Just a bunch of people building Falcons.
I can move this thread over there, if you'd like

Hi Q,

As an ice hockey player, EVERYTHING'S A COMPETITION! ;)
Ok, sure.... I think I'll be cool with it going into the group build.... I guess??!! :-\ :-\ :-\
What with work and life, I've not done very much, plus I'm waiting for paints and a new airbrush to turn up....
I'm also treading water with dealing with problems I've made myself so, I will get back on track and post more soon. :) :) :)

I have started my falcon back up and I am going to be posting over there as well. Next video will be posted on Tuesday.

Grendels said:
I have started my falcon back up and I am going to be posting over there as well. Next video will be posted on Tuesday.
I'll look forward to stealing ideas, Oh, I mean seeing how you get on! ;)

Quaralane said:
Your work looks pretty good, too, Omega.
Going to bring you into the fold now
THANKS Q!!! No pressure then!?!? :-\ :-\ :-\ Lol....
Ok, well I guess I had better get on with it then! :)

Latest posts

Back