Nitto Ma.K Maschinen Krieger A.F.S. Mk I

Yes, the surface is looking fantastic.
AND I like your explanation for this pose.... Better than slipping on a Banana peel.
;)

I agree, the salt technique very well for you. What kind of salt did you use? I've used table salt, which I found too fine to work effectively, I wound up making more of a paste of it, than to have large-ish crystals that would mask and replicate chips. And I've used the salt left over from frozen soft pretzels (Mister Pretzel), which has good-sized crystals, but they're too regular. I've been wondering about trying kosher salt or sea salt, which are larger and irregularly sized in their crystals.

Nice work on this. I am playing around with the salt method right now, and itching to get up stars to play after seeing your work here.

Kosher salt is larger with irregular shaped crystals. I am using a mixture of that and regular table salt for my "experiment"

Grendels said:
...Kosher salt is larger with irregular shaped crystals. I am using a mixture of that and regular table salt for my "experiment"

Thanks for confirming that, Grendels, I'm going to try it and see.

Making progress on the base (Ken's magazine article is coming in handy!) and I've glued the figure into its final position. This will allow for easier weathering.

8366855746_235eabe621_o.jpg
8365787793_a42813c267_o.jpg
8366856316_87742c6148_o.jpg
8366856460_bd2220874d_o.jpg

Thank you. Still more washes and filters to do, but the full body and armor is set now.

I'm a little hesitant with the ground cover - not really sure how to tackle this as it's my first time doing it.

It's looking awesome Ian.

Unfortunately can't give you much advice on the ground though I acquired some modelling clay and may be getting some of those Tamiya texture paints, for something similar to what you are planning. Not sure how they work though :p

Looking sharp!

As for the ground work, just take a look at a few others work, and something will come to mind. I find ground work fun, and it is one of my favorite parts of a build.

Yeah groundwork is awesome. Give lightweight spackle a try, its easy to work with and cheap. Regular spackle also works well for sculpting the terrain.

Then you need some kind of texture for that, I usually use a mixture of various sands in white glue, but it really depends on what kind of terrain you want to make.

Cave_Dweller said:
Yeah groundwork is awesome. Give lightweight spackle a try, its easy to work with and cheap. Regular spackle also works well for sculpting the terrain.

Then you need some kind of texture for that, I usually use a mixture of various sands in white glue, but it really depends on what kind of terrain you want to make.

I gotta second on the light weight spackle. Takes a bit to dry, but very easy to work with.

That looks really awesome!!!
I have been curious myself, while trying to visualize how I would go about finishing a model with decals, AND chipping and weathering.
Yours looks like all the warning markings were painted on the armor after he has seen years of harsh service. Would there be a way to chip the paint after the application of decals?

Latest posts

Back