Niki Lauda's Ferrari 312T F1 car from the biopic Rush, Hasegawa 1/20 kit

Carsenault

Started this build last week and figured it was time to post some pics... The Kit is Hasegawa's greatly detailed Ferrari 312T "1975 Monaco GP Winner" in 1/20. Comes with markings for both team cars, Niki Lauda #12 winning entry, and Clay Regazzoni's #11. The car is featured prominently in Ron Howard's film "Rush" about the rivalry between Niki Lauda and rival James Hunt. one of my favorite movies of this century so far, I highl.y reccomend it even if you are not an F1 fan.

002_zps442d69b9.jpg

001_zpsb0c75ad1.jpg

Ok, its been a while, why the heck are my pictures not showing? :-[

Inserted the links using the html tags from my facebook photo album.

edit: Created a photobucket album instead.

AS with most car kits, the build starts with the engine... In this case, engine, gearbox and rear suspension. The engine in an F1 car is a stressed member of the chassis, so a few extra braces too. I added some ignition wire to liven things up a little.

024_zps21eb4929.jpg

026_zpsc9e02846.jpg

027_zps8c1624e0.jpg

engine looks good. I have always wanted to build and indy/f-1 car. Need to track one down, well one that is affordable :). I see alot of these going for big bucks.

Id recommend a Tamiya 1/20 scale kit for a first time build, they are a bit simpler in construction and still offer great detail. The newer releases are a bit pricey but you should be able to find some of the older kits at a decent price.

I guess an update is in order. :p

I was really chugging along on this build and forgot to take pics most of the time, here are a few I did take...

Engine joined to the chassis.

003_zps42b9f28c.jpg

004_zps64538b72.jpg

And the chassis more or less complete...

114_zps723a6751.jpg

I stripped the chrome off the wing parts and sprayed Alclad polished aluminum in its place. The effect is far more realistic. The decals are from the kit and are really nicely printed, with very little carrier around the print.

120_zps391a12d2.jpg

And its at this stage I really forgot about taking pictures, ran into a few challenges, first off with my paint, and then a very tricky fit of the kit parts, Hasegawa has a long way to go before they match the quality of Tamiya and Fujimi's F1 kits. Once I got the paint sorted out, I started with the rest of the decals. The paint is Zero Paint's Rosso Corsa.

001_zpsc318f099.jpg

And nearly complete... I thought I was done then noticed I forgot to add the red tail light. Better pictures soon...
011_zpsc6c80d2d.jpg

012_zps1227ca67.jpg

012_zps1227ca67.jpg

Thanks for watching! ;D

Very nice kit choice , that looks really great , and some of us more older guys here remember watch those when they were cutting edge engineering 😄
10 /10

Latest posts

Back