New member saying Hi

mboyd

Hello.

I only recently got into scale modeling. I broke my foot about 6 months ago and was laid-up, unable to walk at the time, and I’ve just fallen in love with the hobby.

My first model was a beautifully made Titanic model from Academy, I’m sure many are familiar with it. It went together like a dream, and I felt cool adding some smoot and shading…it was great.

Then…I got a Monarch [error: Monogram] (Revell) M48A2 Patton tank. Glorious vehicle in real life, what could go wrong? . That’s where I got a crash course in misfit parts, old molds and flare and…truly what an old garbage kit looks like, as well as how to work with what you’ve got.

Anyway, I’ve got “model-block” at the moment with 2 works-in-progress and a dozen in my stash that must wait until I finish my Cutty Sark and Sherman.

I absolutely love doing warships, and just ships in general. Tanks…Im already tired of (thanks Revell!). I have a couple of planes, a few cars and I’m dying to get started on them, but I don’t want to start a new model with two undone. Is that normal? I could easily see myself with multiple painted but not assembled, or assembled but not painted models.

Last edited:
Welcome Aboard !
Post some pix please ,
and , yeah , you're allowed to work on multiple builds at once -- it's common for builds to hibernate for extended periods .

Monarch (Revell)? No such kit brand. I believe you mean the old Monogram kit. The Revell kit is a repop of the original Mongram kit - hence the name Revellogram by most hobbyists today.

Those are very old molds and it’s no big surprise you experienced misfit/warped parts on the Patton tank. Revell acquired some very old molds due to its age and never bothered to make new ones. I would never buy any new repop Revell kits when they’re actually old Monogram molds. HobbyLobby is guilty of having those on their shelves these days. I can spot them easily.

Pffftt…. I’ve got at least 5 started in various stages of builds. Don’t ask how many kits I have in my stash. I couldn’t tell you the number.

I’m all over the maps on kit subjects… from land, air and sea.

Don’t let your experience with Revell armor dissuade you from doing another armor kit. There are far better armor kits out there besides Revell.

Hello.

I only recently got into scale modeling. I broke my foot about 6 months ago and was laid-up, unable to walk at the time, and I’ve just fallen in love with the hobby.

My first model was a beautifully made Titanic model from Academy, I’m sure many are familiar with it. It went together like a dream, and I felt cool adding some smoot and shading…it was great.

Then…I got a Monarch [error: Monogram] (Revell) M48A2 Patton tank. Glorious vehicle in real life, what could go wrong? . That’s where I got a crash course in misfit parts, old molds and flare and…truly what an old garbage kit looks like, as well as how to work with what you’ve got.

Anyway, I’ve got “model-block” at the moment with 2 works-in-progress and a dozen in my stash that must wait until I finish my Cutty Sark and Sherman.

I absolutely love doing warships, and just ships in general. Tanks…Im already tired of (thanks Revell!). I have a couple of planes, a few cars and I’m dying to get started on them, but I don’t want to start a new model with two undone. Is that normal? I could easily see myself with multiple painted but not assembled, or assembled but not painted models.
Hi and welcome to the forum. I think we all have a "shelf of doom" where some kit's just end up for various reasons, too difficult, bored with building, wanting something new, and many more.

Always best to walk away and try something different that makes you want to carry on, remember, it's supposed to be fun......
Pantherman

Monogram 1/35 M48A2 from Hobby Lobby as an IDF Magach2.
100_0112.JPG

Take your time. Work through it. Don't let the nay-sayers tell you it's a bad kit, because it isn't. 3 more in the stash. This ones waiting for me to finish a 1/48 B25J (Revell, also from Hobby Lobby) so I can get the tracks on and build the diorama/base.

WELCOME!!!!!!!
Revell Kits are confidence builders, keep in mind some kits you build, some build you.
Post pictures as you go, we like.to see.

what, only 5 started - I've got at least 8, couple cars, couple or three AFV, planes, etc. More if you count cars that I've painted the body because I didn;t want some paint to go bad.
Yeah, 5 in various stages of build at one time. Thus far, I had to bin a couple due to bad fit or it fought me and I took a hammer to it. Again, it’s rare I have up to 5 kits started in various stages of build.
I always stick with working on one kit at a time to avoid losing modeling mojo. Sometimes, I’ll lose some mojo on a current kit. Not too often but it has happened. I’ll step away to clear my head for a bit instead of starting another kit.

I never paint car bodies ahead of time. It’s not because I’m worried about paint going bad. It’s because I tend to change my mind what color I’m deciding on. LOL!

WELCOME!!!!!!!
Revell Kits are confidence builders, keep in mind some kits you build, some build you.
Post pictures as you go, we like.to see.
Confident builders? Hardly. I’ve done a good number of Revell kits in the past but I absolutely hate the infamous Revellogram kits. (the old original Monogram repop kits)

I’ve binned a couple of Revellogram kits in the past because they’re pure garbage due to the age of the original Monogram molds. Horrible fit, parts seem off, etc… I prefer to build the classic original Monogram kits over the crappy Monogram repop Revellogram kits.

Building Revellogram kit is enough to make you a raging alcoholic and bring out the flak hammer to put it out of its misery for my sanity’s sake.

Confident builders? Hardly. I’ve done a good number of Revell kits in the past but I absolutely hate the infamous Revellogram kits. (the old original Monogram repop kits)

I’ve binned a couple of Revellogram kits in the past because they’re pure garbage due to the age of the original Monogram molds. Horrible fit, parts seem off, etc… I prefer to build the classic original Monogram kits over the crappy Monogram repop Revellogram kits.

Building Revellogram kit is enough to make you a raging alcoholic and bring out the flak hammer to put it out of its misery for my sanity’s sake.
This is from a vintage Monogram kit, almost became runway wreckage, was not an easy save. I agree, Revell/Monogram are terrible.

IMG_20220424_162252-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back