CCWWII

Hello, I am a new member...I focus on 1-72 scale WWII Fighter Aircraft. I have just started doing these models in my retired years... I am looking forward to reading what you all are up to. I am sure I will learn lots and eventually share my thoughts as I go.

Hello, I am a new member...I focus on 1-72 scale WWII Fighter Aircraft. I have just started doing these models in my retired years... I am looking forward to reading what you all are up to. I am sure I will learn lots and eventually share my thoughts as I go.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Lot's of friendly help and advice here, just ask. Look forward to seeing your work. Pantherman

I have not built a model since I was 15, I am now 72...! I have already decided to start on WWII planes. I want to get the details correct on each build. I have never used an airbrush before, but I have one I will be using. I need to practice with it a lot before I try using it on a build. Many things have been improved over the years, so I am still in discovery and study mode.

More later....

I have not built a model since I was 15, I am now 72...! I have already decided to start on WWII planes. I want to get the details correct on each build. I have never used an airbrush before, but I have one I will be using. I need to practice with it a lot before I try using it on a build. Many things have been improved over the years, so I am still in discovery and study mode.

More later....
It's all a learning experience. I have only been modeling 18 months and have learnt so much, mainly from the forum but also alot on YouTube.

Every mistake is a chance to improve on the next build. Mainly have fun, that's what it's all about really. Pantherman

It's all a learning experience. I have only been modeling 18 months and have learnt so much, mainly from the forum but also alot on YouTube.

Every mistake is a chance to improve on the next build. Mainly have fun, that's what it's all about really. Pantherman
That's what I hope for....fun and learning new things....I always wanted to build a really nice model. I think I can do it now....Lord Welling!

Welcome!!!!! Lots of great advice here, dig into older posts for ideas and help. One thing that I have learned: Some models you build, some build you.:)

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the Herd!
Yeah, a lot of things are changed, much for the better. The general level of quality is higher than it was back in the day, for example. It's a golden age when we look at the subjects available, the tools and supplies, and the info you can get now over the Internet.
Some things are still the same, though. Get out to shows if you can, and if there's a local club, it's good to visit it and meet up in person with other modelers, as it always has been.
The big thing is to remember it's a hobby and enjoy yourself.
I look forward to seeing your builds!
Best regards,
Brad

Yeah, a lot of things are changed, much for the better. The general level of quality is higher than it was back in the day, for example. It's a golden age when we look at the subjects available, the tools and supplies, and the info you can get now over the Internet.
Some things are still the same, though. Get out to shows if you can, and if there's a local club, it's good to visit it and meet up in person with other modelers, as it always has been.
Best regards,
Brad
Brad thanks. I will look for any clubs in the Kansas City area. I suppose doing a search on 'Hobby Clubs' or Model Building Clubs or? Any other ideas for searching...? And you are so right...the internet is a wealth of information on most anything. You just have to sort out what right and what is not....

Thanks for the comments....

CC

Welcome!

Don't panic too much. Part #A still goes into slot 2 and spilled glue will still stick three pages of the instructions together. STILL won't matter cause you shouldn't be using instructions anyhow.

I need to practice with it a lot before I try using it on a build.

Man, I wish I could do thinkin' like that.

Rob.

Brad thanks. I will look for any clubs in the Kansas City area. I suppose doing a search on 'Hobby Clubs' or Model Building Clubs or? Any other ideas for searching...? And you are so right...the internet is a wealth of information on most anything. You just have to sort out what right and what is not....

Thanks for the comments....

CC
One resource is IPMS/USA, though there are clubs that aren't part of IPMS, too. But IPMS has a chapter finder at its website, and for their region that includes Kansas City, Kansas (as well as MO), this page shows a list of existing clubs:

https://calendar.ipmsusa3.org/region/region-14-mid-central

For finding clubs that aren't part of IPMS' organization, you can run some searches as you said. Also, if there are any hobby shops around, you can ask there if they know of any clubs or even just groups that get together. I know that here in my home area, the Lehigh Valley, PA, there are groups like that. Some meet at hobby shops-that's how our Lehigh Valley Scale Modelers started, for example-so it pays to ask around.

I hope you find some folks in your area, because it's fun to get together in person with others in the hobby.

Best regards,
Brad

One resource is IPMS/USA, though there are clubs that aren't part of IPMS, too. But IPMS has a chapter finder at its website, and for their region that includes Kansas City, Kansas (as well as MO), this page shows a list of existing clubs:

https://calendar.ipmsusa3.org/region/region-14-mid-central

For finding clubs that aren't part of IPMS' organization, you can run some searches as you said. Also, if there are any hobby shops around, you can ask there if they know of any clubs or even just groups that get together. I know that here in my home area, the Lehigh Valley, PA, there are groups like that. Some meet at hobby shops-that's how our Lehigh Valley Scale Modelers started, for example-so it pays to ask around.

I hope you find some folks in your area, because it's fun to get together in person with others in the hobby.

Best regards,
Brad
Thanks, I talked with a guy who owns a local hobby shop and he had all the information on the IPMS/West Central Missouri. They meet on the first Wednesday of the month. So in August I will attend that meeting. Also, they have a 2023 Modelfest Show coming up on August 26th, so I can check that out also.

Thanks for leading my down this path.

CC

Best regards,
Brad
As I commented above, I did find a local IPMS club and they have a show, Modelfest coming up in August. You guys all lead me down this path and I now have a bunch of folks I can link up with and have even more fun....

Thanks...
CC

As I commented above, I did find a local IPMS club and they have a show, Modelfest coming up in August. You guys all lead me down this path and I now have a bunch of folks I can link up with and have even more fun....

Thanks...
CC
Welcome CC. Relativley new here.

Age no concern started about 18 years ago & now 84.

My advice. Something you have not done before. Carry out a mock up first. Saves cock ups "mostly".
Airbrush spend a few hours just spraying anything. Try different paints same paint differing amounts
of thinners. Plus try different distances model to airbrush.

Laurie.

Welcome CC. Relativley new here.

Age no concern started about 18 years ago & now 84.

My advice. Something you have not done before. Carry out a mock up first. Saves cock ups "mostly".
Airbrush spend a few hours just spraying anything. Try different paints same paint differing amounts
of thinners. Plus try different distances model to airbrush.

Laurie.
Laurie,
Thanks, good comments. I am planning on painting some plastic spoons....for practice. Cheap and give you many different angles to work with...

CC

Laurie,
Thanks, good comments. I am planning on painting some plastic spoons....for practice. Cheap and give you many different angles to work with...

CC

I used empty plastic water bottles. Good large areas.

Latest posts

Back