New Member from Idaho

jnicholes

Hi everyone,

I am new to this Forum. I just joined today. My name is Jared, and I am beginning to get back into model airplane building.

I used to be quite into it when I was a teenager, I even had a 1:72 B-36 Peacemaker model I built. It was so big, I had to hang it from my ceiling. Unfortunately, it broke in a move.

Now, I want to get back into model airplane building.

My main goal is to hang model airplanes from the ceiling of my room. I want to have multiple different types of models, but all the same scale. I was thinking 1:72 scale.

As for what kinds of airplanes, I was thinking about trying WW2 planes. I actually have a 1:72 P-47 thunderbolt model kit right now. I’m gonna get paint for it and all the tools I need tomorrow. I also have a 1:72 Dornier Do-335 model kit in the mail.

I came here to share pictures of what I build and get ideas of what WW2 aircraft to build.

That’s pretty much it for my introduction.

Have a good day,

Jared

Hi everyone,

I am new to this Forum. I just joined today. My name is Jared, and I am beginning to get back into model airplane building.

I used to be quite into it when I was a teenager, I even had a 1:72 B-36 Peacemaker model I built. It was so big, I had to hang it from my ceiling. Unfortunately, it broke in a move.

My main goal is to hang model airplanes from the ceiling of my room. I want to have multiple different types of models, but all the same scale. I was thinking 1:72 scale.

As for what kinds of airplanes, I was thinking about trying WW2 planes. I actually have a 1:72 P-47 thunderbolt model kit right now. I’m gonna get paint for it and all the tools I need tomorrow. I also have a 1:72 Dornier Do-335 model kit in the mail.

I came here to share pictures of what I build and get ideas of what WW2 aircraft to build.

Have a good day,

Jared
Welcome to the forum Jared, loads of advice to be had here so just ask away. Pantherman

Welcome!!!!!! Lots of great advice here, dig deep into older posts for ideas and help. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Attachments

• 20221124_153050.jpg
    20221124_153050.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 10
Hello! Glad to have you back in the hobby. When I picked up the hobby 3 years ago I joined this space and it has been a great! Everyone is super helpful. As far as WWII aircraft, pick subjects that interest you. This guy makes a good case for starting with Tamiya.

Hello! Glad to have you back in the hobby. When I picked up the hobby 3 years ago I joined this space and it has been a great! Everyone is super helpful. As far as WWII aircraft, pick subjects that interest you. This guy makes a good case for starting with Tamiya.

Though I will say I am a Airfix person for a few reasons. Tamiya is not the only company worth buying. But his advice on their older kits is good

Hi everyone,

Have a good day,

Jared
Welcome! I too am from Idaho, I live in Nampa. It sounds like you're similar to me in that, I built a lot as a kid and went away from the Hobby for awhile. I started again in my late 20's but it didn't last. I returned again in about 2004 and got back into it seriously in about 2009.
Feel free to reach out in you need anything, suggestions, tips, info on local gross, etc.

Welcome!!!!!! Lots of great advice here, dig deep into older posts for ideas and help. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Wow, looks like somebody already tried out my idea! That’s amazing. Is that a P 51 going against an Me262?

Anyway, thank you all for the welcomes. I appreciate it. As I said before, I’m going to try picking up paints and supplies today. I will let you know if I have questions and I will also post pictures of the models I build when they are finished.

Jared

Wow, looks like somebody already tried out my idea! That’s amazing. Is that a P 51 going against an Me262?

Anyway, thank you all for the welcomes. I appreciate it. As I said before, I’m going to try picking up paints and supplies today. I will let you know if I have questions and I will also post pictures of the models I build when they are finished.

Jared
Glamorous Glen III, Yeager's shoot down of a 262

Welcome back to the hobby, Jared, and welcome to the Herd! Are you going to get another B-36 and build it again? That's a great kit; when Monogram released it, they billed it as the largest 1/72 airplane model ever. That's a good subject for a ceiling display!
I look forward to seeing your builds!
Best regards,
Brad

Welcome back to the hobby, Jared, and welcome to the Herd! Are you going to get another B-36 and build it again? That's a great kit; when Monogram released it, they billed it as the largest 1/72 airplane model ever. That's a good subject for a ceiling display!
I look forward to seeing your builds!
Best regards,
Brad

I’ve actually been thinking about doing that. I just got to save up for the B36 model itself.

My house used to be a church in the 1950s. My room was once a church classroom. I’ve got plenty of ceiling space.

As for getting the paints I need for the models I got so far, I have to put it off until July 11. The reason is that I’m trying to save up for a special elk tag.

Anyway, I was able to get two 1:48 scale aircraft in the mail today. One of them is an F4F-4 wildcat. The other is an SBD dauntless.

I figured it might be wise to try some bigger models first, before going down to 1:72 scale. Maybe just to help me get back into it.

Welcome aboard - It's a great place, full of many, many talented and great folks... Small world - You being from Idaho... As I type, 'we' are prepping to move to the Gem State and leave the Puget Sound region AND I am looking forward to it. Again, welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard - It's a great place, full of many, many talented and great folks... Small world - You being from Idaho... As I type, 'we' are prepping to move to the Gem State and leave the Puget Sound region AND I am looking forward to it. Again, welcome aboard!
That makes three people on the thread from and/or moving to Idaho, including myself! It really is a small world!

As I said, before, I’m still trying to get my elk tag on the 10th. As a result, I can’t get a hold of the paints that I need until the 11th.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I appreciate it.

Hi guys,

Good news for model making, but not good news for hunting. I was not able to get the elk tag I was looking for.

Well, I guess I can put more money into the model paints now!

Anyway, I appreciate the warm welcome. I really appreciate it. I have a few other questions concerning painting, but I will post them on a different thread.

Latest posts

Back