My spray booth I'm building

spud

Irish and proud of it :)
So after getting my ab I've decided to build a small booth 18x16 inches hoping to get it done today, so here is a pic,

I was planning on having it raised with them 2 bits you see in front but that seems too high so gona change that,
e82ff890.jpg

I'll post the specs once I finish it

i watched yours Grendels and yours is a monster ;D my room is small so i plan on putting it on my desk when needed. as for lights my new light is a big ass adjustable so i may just use that or i may get some and build them in, ill see

and i also forgot about a filter... ill need to get that tomorrow

One tip....once you get it all built. Paint the inside of your booth white....helps reflect any light around your booth better. My lighting is 2, small 25W halogen bulbs that clip on, and with the inside painted white it reflects the light around very nicely as opposed to the bare wood finish. Also adds an element of heat to aide in drying the paint. Now if I had a set of doors on the front, with built in lighting, I am sure I could put that heat to better used.....that will be on paint booth 2.0

Friend of mine is an Engineer, (yeah, yeah I know....damn engineer) but he isn't like normal engineers, got his degree later in life, and knew better than to believe the BS retoric that the profs spue about Engineers being superior beings. He referenced them to being mini-Hitler's with their mild master race of engineers concept.

Anyway, he builds alot of large 1/12 cars, as well has a few other very large kits (Revell 1/72 HMCS Snowberry Corvette and 1/35 Dora rail gun for a couple of them) and had a friend of his build him a paint booth of out scrap stainless steel, 64" long, 24" deep, uses 3 non explosive fans (something crazy like 640cfm total) and 4 furnace filters. I haven't seen it yet, but the next time I get over to his house I will take a few pics and post them. Supposed to be a beast.

LOL that kind of booth is mental.

as for the paint i had that in mind any how, I also cant seem to get hold of some peg board here so ima have to make my own.. ;( a job for tomorrow. i also need to pick up a filter tomorrow. and wire up my fan fingers crossed ill have a working booth tomorrow

Holy crap spud! Deja vu! your booth is pretty much identical to the first one I built in 1992. It served me well for many years.

When I set up shop in the new house here about a year ago I modified a pre-fab work bench into a spray booth. It's huge and takes up quite a bit of room, but some of the radio control boats I do are 3 feet long so....
DSC02074small.jpg

You will love having the booth! It's also nice for other smelly tasks like soldering and gluing. If you get yourself a liitle lazy susan type turntable to set your model or part holder on you will have an easier time getting all sides. Lookin' great buddy!!

lol thats some extraction unit you have there. Im realy looking forward to getting it finished its, somthing that is defo needed in this game

spud said:
LOL that kind of booth is mental.

as for the paint i had that in mind any how, I also cant seem to get hold of some peg board here so ima have to make my own.. ;( a job for tomorrow. i also need to pick up a filter tomorrow. and wire up my fan fingers crossed ill have a working booth tomorrow

Well he figures that with a fair number of large kits....he wanted a spray booth big enough to put them in and paint as opposed to having them half stick out. Having seen his collection, I can see why. He has all with the exception of 5 or 6 of the Tamiya 1/12 car kits, which I think number in the 40 odd kits I believe. And only reason he hasn't completed the collection is that Tamiya hasn't re-released them yet.

I have one tamiya 1/12 kit it's a Williams fw14b F1 car I bought in 1995, I have my lhs trying to get replacement screws for me, been wanting to build it since I got it but never got around to getting an air brush until now so I'm hoping to build it after christmass or before it, it cost me 125 Irish pounds back then before the euro that was a Kota money then.

I hope it fits my booth...

:eek: thats a bnig booth....

my booth is going slowly at the moment Rain and i got my new desk for my pc today so that needed sorting, all i have done since last up date was cut the hole for my extrator fan and make some peg board wich was a pain.

your name is familure to me. from eve. prob not the same person tough.

That's nothing. You should have seen the booth my father and I built for his cabinet shop. The idea here was to have one big enough to accommodate my 1/350 Enterprises.

eve? Not familiar with that one. Nah, probably not me ;)

so i actulay had some time to my self today and i got my ass in gear and finished up the booth, only thing it needs is wiring, i aint gona do that because i value my life ;D, i have a mate gona do it for me on monday so its finished i geuss, ill post an other pic of it when its wired up

i removed my pully only cos it was a tad too tight over the paint and it broke ;D ive sanded the edges and its fine now.
i stapled on some lats to hide all teh srews
IMG_0516.jpg
IMG_0517.jpg
IMG_0518.jpg
IMG_0519.jpg

thanks fumblethumbs. i forgot to say i had to drill all them holes... and it was a pain in the ass

Latest posts

Back