Merseajohn's BCI Resin 1/36 Tie Fighter

JohnSimmons

For Spud: I was once Merseajohn
Well chaps I'm getting withdrawal symtems from not modeling after the total of 4 hours lol. This site isnt called scale model addict for nothing! I'm lucky enough to have a nice lot of kits in my stash, but I thought with xmas looming I dont want to get stuck into a couple of 100 plus parts kit. So I've chosen a kit with 10 parts ;D
Its the BCI Resin 1/36 Tie Fighter (same scale as the AMT Vader Tie). Its a golden oldy but its still great and HUGE! Theres a little clean up to be done but thats expected for a resin kit. Here it is dry fitted (and I know its down side up!):
IMG_1497.jpg
And the parts:
IMG_1499.jpg
Cant decide wheather to go for ROTJ blue/grey or ANH sky grey? :-\

Excellent choice, John! This kit looks pretty sweet.
And I'd say go for the ANH gray scheme - it looks cooler imho :)

Queue March of the Empire song. ;)

Looking forwards to watching more tech vids ;D

Where do you find these wonderful molds? First the troop transport, now this?! This looks to be a nice, simple yet elegantly detailed showstopper!

Yup I think I'm going for ANH grey Sol (tamiya sky grey should be the right colour, unless anyone knows of a perfect ANH tie grey?). And Fubar I'm sure there will be a vid or two! Necro I found this gem on eBay that's the only place you can pick them up really apart from trade sections on certain web sites.

Sorry for the lack of updates on this guys, what with xmas and now I've done my back in at work! :mad:
But its starting to get better so I should be getting back into this within the next few days. But while I'm layed up I thought I'd make a new banner, what do you think?
banner3-Copy.jpg

I'd say it is pretty cool! 8)
And it brought me to an idea for the new version of SMA which is now in progress: an extended limit of letters in the sign-area of the posts, for it was possible to add tiny pics of ones chosen builds which are the links to the topics related to these builds. Say, a small personal gallery of the best works, always following it's owner. What do You think, John? Legitable for posting in "suggestions" topic? :)

Thanks Sol, Yeah thats a great idea. Ive always liked your pics in your sig showing what your building/built and a link to them would be great!

I couldnt take it anymore! Everyone seems to be modeling like crazy at the moment, and what with all the models I kindly got from santa claus I just had to do some work on my TIE. I hobbled out to my shed today with my bad back, and gave a final coat of flat black (humbrol acrylic from the rattle can) to the wings (they will have a satin coat at the end):
0139e806.jpg
Decanted some tamiya haze grey into a pot (without the lid on!) I'm going for the ESB look now. And I did some horrid pre shading lol, too much pressure not thinned enough, thats what you get when you dont take your time because your in pain!! But I want this is looking CLEAN so most of the pre shading will be covered up.
Heres the zebra tie fighter pre shaded:
IMG_1633.jpg
Next up is the masking and then shooting the haze grey through the air brush. Enjoy ;)

Vids, vids, vids, vids........... ;D

Seriously though i hope you get better soon dude, i know how you feel i'm off to the hopsital for the 4th time in a month tomorrow. ::)

P.S. What colour Tamiya grey you using now?

TTFN Matt

Ha ha thanks Igard! And Thanks Fubar, hope all goes well tomorrow. I'm now using tamiya haze grey from the rattle can for the base http://www.emodels.co.uk/plastic-kits/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=Tamiya+haze+grey&Submit=Search
Iv also sprayed the window frame neutral grey: 83b1817f.jpg
And iv replaced the guns at the front to look more like the studio version:
14bd81a2.jpg
2bcbf2d4.jpg
Theres still clean up of filler to do. I cut 2 equal lengths of brass tube and stuck AK Interactive 'light lenses' on the back of the tube and in the right light you can see them shine:
9e2dd6ec.jpg

Thanks Sol, does anyone know the colour used on the 'medium grey' parts found on the tie body? And I'm wondering if the cockpit frame colour maybe a little off..? Maybe german grey would match better?

merseajohn said:
Thanks Sol, does anyone know the colour used on the 'medium grey' parts found on the tie body? And I'm wondering if the cockpit frame colour maybe a little off..? Maybe german grey would match better?

I am not sure, but if you look about half way down this page:

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,2984.0.html

PpP says:

Hey thanks! Originally I was going to use the Tamiya Haze Grey but it didn't have the correct blueish hue the Scale models had. So I tried the Vallejo Blue Grey Pale. it was perfect. weathered it with brownish black pastels in a water wash the clear coated matte.

Maybe that will help?

The Fine Molds TiE fighter instructions call up XF-53 and XF-63, dunno if that's any help? ???

TTFN Matt

Thanks Grendels, Love JJjesse's stuff, I did buy some of that colour in Vallejio but Vallejio and my technique/airbrush/lack of skills lol dont get on that well!
And Fubar I completley forgot to check the Fine Molds suggestions ::).
Anyway I now know that I'm going for Tamiya neautral grey for the 'engines/greeblies' etc and Looking at the model with Haze grey on I'm pretty happy.....IMG_1242.jpgIMG_1249.jpgbut the canopy is too light (Tamiya neautral grey) so Iv shot it with a layer of thinned german grey. Also note that this is just dry fitted I'll try and get the wings lined up better than that when glue is involved lol! And the pre shade can just be seen in normal light. Enjoy, comments welcome as always. :)

merseajohn said:
Thanks Grendels, Love JJjesse's stuff, I did buy some of that colour in Vallejio but Vallejio and my technique/airbrush/lack of skills lol dont get on that well!

Lack of skills!!!! :eek:

I think you underestimate the power of your airbrushing skills young Padawan. ;D
I wish i had your 'lack of skills'. ;)

P.S. Lookin' cool, hope this will be serving on my Star Destoryer when it's finished. 8)

TTFN Matt

Latest posts

Back