TIE Fighter in progress

ohbejuan

I think I go the hull color right. brush painted a mix 4 parts Dark Ghost Grey, 1 part Ocean Gray. Trying to decide on a weathering strategy. I want it to be fairly minimal.

Attachments

• 237F008D-696F-4AE6-B24B-007B7F8F4C06.jpeg
    237F008D-696F-4AE6-B24B-007B7F8F4C06.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 7890A91C-5ABE-493C-BF7E-9E06155D7B72_1_201_a.jpeg
    7890A91C-5ABE-493C-BF7E-9E06155D7B72_1_201_a.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 14
Looks nice. I think you got the grey right, a couple I did turned out a little too blue as I tried to capture the bluescreen tinge some TIEs show. The weathering is tricky to now where to start! The things are just grey! Perhaps some wash in the bigger recesses to bring attention to shadowed areas and highlighting on raised areas to make it pop?

I agree, it's hard to beat a wash for first steps.
Maybe a nice pin wash too to bring out panel lines, and then streaking the lines down in logical places to show running grime.

It is somewhat controversial... A pannelwash almost always is a good thing. But none of the TIE models had any washes... All they had/have are dinks I en surfaces, tho I'm sure they come from the crew handling the models.

I'm no expert. Even tho it felt wrong I finished my Vader TIE fighter with very little wear. I was considering giving it a light dry brush to highlight the details that way, but I decided against it.

But I guess it's personal preference. You Defenatley hit the color hue.

Yeah I have decided to just do a little wash and NO wear. When I think of the Empire and Imperial ships I think sterile and clean.

And I decided to SLATHER it in semi gloss and get wrinkles .

Attachments

• 2C444550-DB8B-4116-9C25-9584EE04EC42.jpeg
    2C444550-DB8B-4116-9C25-9584EE04EC42.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 24
That's interesting! I guess that you didn't want that to happen in this case. Is the fix to sand it back a little and retouch? I actually thought it looks quite good in an unusual way.

The solvent in the lacquer dissolved the acrylic -- only fix is strip and repaint . Or sand with fine grit ( like 1000 grit sponge ) and see what you end up with .

By " Pledge " I assume you're talking about " Future " floor coating ? It's acrylic resin . Maybe the damage is confined to that layer . Probably not though .

Man, that is disheartening to see. Pledge Future is acrylic, and lacquer can be applied over acrylic if one goes slowly in fine mists. Unfortunately though, if this Tamiya lacquer is from a rattle can rather than the glass bottle, rattle cans belch out a lot all at once and you can't control well.

Man, that is disheartening to see. Pledge Future is acrylic, and lacquer can be applied over acrylic if one goes slowly in fine mists. Unfortunately though, if this Tamiya lacquer is from a rattle can rather than the glass bottle, rattle cans belch out a lot all at once and you can't control well.
I think that is exactly what happened. I do not think I can be trusted with rattle cans :). I have had good success with their Flat Clear spray. The gloss and semi gloss I seem to be too heavy handed. Also, it was coldish and I had to spray outside.

I think that is exactly what happened. I do not think I can be trusted with rattle cans :). I have had good success with their Flat Clear spray. The gloss and semi gloss I seem to be too heavy handed. Also, it was coldish and I had to spray outside.
Oh my gosh. I stopped using Tamiya clears because I felt like I was using less than 1/3 of the can and inhaling/wasting the rest in an attempt to not over saturate. Modgepodge acrylic spray might be worth a try. I used it to seal some plaster recently on a build recently...and then used it to seal the whole damn thing when it was done because it was so easy to use.

Oh my gosh. I stopped using Tamiya clears because I felt like I was using less than 1/3 of the can and inhaling/wasting the rest in an attempt to not over saturate. Modgepodge acrylic spray might be worth a try. I used it to seal some plaster recently on a build recently...and then used it to seal the whole damn thing when it was done because it was so easy to use.
I am reading about this. I am very curious though there is not a ton of material on scale model forums, but I am going to try it on a cheaper "weekend" build.

Uggh I feel your pain...
Uru is right, best to strip and start over unfortunately...
Good luck it was looking great after pin washing by the way

Well...

Lesson learned... It's always a good idea to try new things on a scrap model.

Thankfully you can save this thing, just strip the paint. And start over... But first, set it aside for a time, do another model, and get some distance from this one. Then when you're ready, strip the paint and start over.

If you didn't glue it you can even disample the wings very carefully... Tho I'd probably just mask them.

You learned a lot from this build.

Latest posts

Back