Mercury 9

Great update, John. I totally agree with you about hidden details...as long as you know they are there...
that's all that matters. I enjoyed watching your work procedures on P.E. . That's an area I don't often
get into so it was very helpful watching your methods. She's almost done...keep going! Bill

Grendels said:
JMac said:
Good update John.

One side thing I'd wanted to mention is I use an old ceramic bathroom wall tile as a surface to cut my PE on. It was a left over from a bathroom reno project. At about 1500 mm x 1500mm (just under 6" square) it's a nice size to manage on the desk - not taking up too much room.

Jason

That is a good idea, and probably easier to store than my solution.

Whoa, I was a just a little bit off on those measurements last day; I meant 150mm x 150mm. :-\
If you do pick up a tile to use as a cutting surface, be sure to get a tile with a smooth glaze finish.

Jason

Using the photos in the windows is brilliant, it really looks awesome like that. The lighted console looked very sharp too.

Pretty cool vid G.

...and just to add to the conversation above, I cut my PE and even trim the sprue gates from parts on my Ausfwerks 'block' which is super cheap (IMO) at like $6.40 US.

It is rigid enough to hold the PE and avoid bending (even super thin Aber stuff) yet allows the tip of your blade to penetrate it slightly to ensure a super clean cut all the way through... I have had it for at least six years and it stills serves me well.

Those consoles look great. Very much looking forward to seeing this finished now! 8)

May I ask, how are you going to mask those smaller windows with the decal film backing them? I would have thought that would be quite fragile?

I'm almost finished my PE for the big E, so most of the damage is done I'm afraid. I'll have a rummage through my dad's shed to see if there are any bathroom tiles lying around I can use.

Ken those guys look like they make some seriously nice tools. I was checking out the fender bender. Expensive, but it would solve so many problems!

Igard said:
I was checking out the fender bender. Expensive, but it would solve so many problems!

Unfortunately it's out of production, but it was an incredible tool.

I had one for a few years but since I don't do enough PE, I sold it to a friend who really wanted one but yeah, there's lots of other stuff on that site as well.

Thanks for the comments:

Ken, that block reminds me of a restaurant cutting board. It looks like the same material:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanton-Trading-2-Inch-Cutting-Board/dp/B0032AM0BC/ref=sr_1_10?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1346263142&sr=1-10

They are designed to do exactly what you describe your board to do.

As for the photo film, I think I figured out how to make my own in the future. Take and print your photo on white decal film and transfer that to clear styrene. Should come out the same so you don't have to purchase from a third party.

It really does add quite a bit to the command center.

Quite the site you posted there and I love the how too's.

Igard: That decal film worked great, but I used the wrong masking technique on it and had to tear it out. I used silly putty and instead I should have just stuffed cotton balls in the frames. would have worked much better. The silly putty stuck to the decal film. Causing quite a mess.

And for the fender bender, paragrafix makes something similar:

http://www.paragrafix.biz/product_detail.asp?PPartNum=pft-5

1.jpg

Not as nice, but should do the job.

Cool update, John. Love the detailing of the Command ctr.. Microsurgery is what you're doing..Huh?
Looking forward to the next update. Go! Mercury9! Bill

At times it does feel that way. The next update should be up and running today or tomorrow.

Thanks Bill!

John,
Nice update video. Everything is starting to come together towards the finish.
Great work...keep those videos coming. Bill

This control room is fantastic !

Can't wait to see the next video. :D

Catching up with your latest updates, G.
What an awesome project!
Can't wait to see this complete more and more!
And looking forward for the next update ;)

Thanks Sol! Work is in the way right now, but this weekend I will be posting quite a bit!

Playing a bit of catch up here too.

That control room looks incredible! Nice stuff! 8)

Latest posts

Back