Master Box DAK WW II WIP

Tony lee

Why OH Why am I doing this ???
"Nothing ventured Nothing Gained" I guess.

The Master Box figure sets:
PI000000151620.jpg

100_1081.jpg

What the figures will go on:
100_1075.jpg

I've never seriously tried doing figures before other than this one and I gave up on it.
100_0677.jpg
I've never done a dio for that matter either but with winter coming on like gang busters what better time to dive in?

I assembled these seven over the past couple of days. They need a little tuning up in a few spots and they'll be ready for primer.
100_1087.jpg
I was hoping to find a SBS DAK tutorial and found that North Africa is just not a popular subject I guess.

This WIP is not going to be what you would call show quality but just a simple and hopefully presentable
set of figures to add interest and a sense of scale to the dio.

Join in if you like and Thanks
Tony lee

:) Coming together, Tony,

I´m in here, following... ;)

The matter of the firts-time dio / vignette is just the same to me,
winter time an is ideal moment, I think.

RG

Hi there Tony! Great to know your venturing into uncharted territory!! LOL..I have the Afika Korps kit with the dude on the donkey. Nice kit I thought (still didn't finish it myself yet ::) ) Looking forward to you digging in! They will look awesome with your dio setup!!

Thinking once Chris is up and around, he will definitely help were he can!! Don't forget the Lizard!!! You'll find him on the sprue!! ;D

Lizard What Lizard?????
I didn't get a Lizard or he's buried in the sand to escape the heat. ;D

Chris is laid up? Didn't know about that.

Tony lee :)

Arrrrg! I think your right Tony. I have this set, but had the add on set for my PZ III...The lizzard was in the set with the PZ. LOL...thought I was going nuts! ::) (ok, nuts already but still) ;D

Chris is better letting you know(he posted it on his threads) , but he had gone in for a procedure and is home resting now! He might be back at the bench real soon!! ???

Hi ya Bud ;D Didnt realise you had started this thread ! fair play to ya for having a go ;) they look like a nice set of figs too . I think I mentioned Mark Bannermans book 'modelling Panzer Crewmen of the Heer' before ,if you can get your hands on it he does a good section on painting Dak figures ;) The only thing is ,like myself he works in oils ,Im assuming you're going with acrylics ?

Chris.

Hey Chris
Yep i've got Marks book but i've only looked at the pictures and skimmed over the text.
I did read your tut though but your subject is much larger than mine so i'll need to miniaturize your technique ;D

Keep an eye on me since you now know where to find my attempt.
Thanks
Tony lee

Tony ,I do all my faces the same mate from 1/10 to 1/35 the only thing different is the eyes on 1/35 I place the eye in last ,but use a toothpick/cocktail stick to place them ,you'll see in Marks book he does the same as it gives much more control than using a brush ;)
But the highlighting /shadows are all done the same just on a smaller scale ,The clothing is also painted in the same way if using oils .

Chris.

Just remember the little engine that could, I think I can........I think I can...........I think I can.

OK here we go.
Take your pick,The center ring act at the Deutschland Circus or my Tamiya primer coated DAK figures. ;D
100_1089.jpg

Base color coming up
Tony lee

OH btw I meant to ask if "White" primer was best to use instead of "GREY" or does it matter?

Thanks
Tony lee

Tony lee said:
OH btw I meant to ask if "White" primer was best to use instead of "GREY" or does it matter?

Thanks
Tony lee
:) Hi, Tony, my friend,

I think that using the grey primer is OK 100%,

I´m not a master precisely, a lot of mates here are "Experten" grade painting figures, but I´m convinced that there´s no advantage on using white primer...

:) Cheers, Tony
RG

Howdy
My tared come down on me so I closed up shop. I got the base coats on four of them and the flesh on the other three. I see they could of used a little more clean up but for learning purposes they're good enough.
I noticed the batts in the camera are getting low but was too tired to put in fresh ones and retake the pictures, you get the idea.

It seems that the LifeColor paints are like Tamiya's and you can't re-coat until the first coat is dry or you'll pull it up if trying to brush them on.

100_1095.jpg

This guy must have a friend in the Air Force and got a sweater from him.
100_1094.jpg

100_1091.jpg

100_1090.jpg

Tomorrow the other three will get some variation of their uniform color.

Thanks for droppin by.

Nice line up Tony ;D

Grey primer is fine buddy ,white can sometimes make it hard to see what you are painting ;)

Chris.

Heck,I just went ahead and base coated the last three.
100_1098.jpg

100_1097.jpg

100_1096.jpg

Now i'll sleep tonight and not be thinking about having to do them tomorrow. ::)
Later folks

Latest posts

Back