Mancave Update – Exhaust Fan

Ferris928

Hey guys.
I’ve been hemming and hawing over finding some way of building a spray booth of some kind for a while now. I came to the conclusion recently, since I do my painting right on the desk, that I don’t need a ‘booth,’ but a fume or vapor exhaust system. So I perused the net and took a look again at what others have come up with on their own.
Most were dedicated booths, but I came across one guy who used 2 bathroom exhaust fans. I wish I had saved the picture. So I decided to finally do it and went out to pick up materials. I figured I’d only need one fan. Beside it can always be upgraded.

Materials:
Home Depot
70CFM fan was about $30.00
Menards
3” X 8’ Flexible tubing was about $5.00
36” X 12” Shelving unit shelf was about $5.00
Outside vent w/ 12” metal tube was about $5.00
2 - 3” clamps $0.89 each.
White extension cord w/ switch about $6.00
Wire mesh used as a guard – About $10.00 at Blick (An impulse buy last time I was there, still a lot left)
Black carbon filter (To protect the fan motor from spray, again a lot left) about $6.00
Black spray paint for vent – Free, was around the house.
Brown extension cord – Free, was around the house.
Foam used around the shelf used in window – Free, was around the house.
Total about $70.00.
Not too shabby, if I do say so myself (compared to what some pre-made booths cost).

Image3.jpg
Image5.jpg
Image4.jpg
Image6.jpg
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg
Image8.jpg
Image9.jpg
Image10.jpg
CA & foam goodness :)
Image7.jpg
I closed up all the various small holes and openings to get better suction. I forgot to take a pic of it.
Image11.jpg
Image12.jpg
Hardly noticeable.
Image13.jpg
Image14.jpg
The incense/smoke draw test. It worked well, though the camera didn’t pick it well.
Image16.jpg
Finished and after a little rearranging.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers!

I think you got a SWEET looking space. Great work on the exhaust. That should work great for you.

Essentially this is all the Mr. Hobby Paint booth is....a fan that you spray into and it extracts the fumes outside.

Only difference, theirs has a plastic shroud around the fan so it makes a slight pocket, and has a filter (which is essentially a piece of cardboard).

You paid about $70 for what Mr. Hobby wants $250+ for! Good job!

Thank you guys.

I gave it a test, I did the last future coat on my F-106. There was a slight smell of the future, nothing like before where the room was thick with it. Part of the reasons for wanting an exhaust system (besides breathing easier and not having to use my filter mask) was so I can get to using the Alclad metal paints. I once (and only once!) brushed laquors, and the smell nearly killed me. I don't know about being in the same room with them atomized. :)
Sounds wise, it's a little noisy; but i don't think it'll disturb the rest of the house. If it does, as Scott said during the Red-6 build, 'that's just the price I'm willing to pay.' (ah...that still cracks me up!)

Cheers!

Looks good! I was trying to figure out a way to make a booth but a box fan plop on the window works fine for me. Living in L.A. there really is no reason to close the windows. Only on heavy rainy days but I can crack the window open for that and the air would be sucking out because of the rain (heavy rain always comes with wind down here). Also when it gets cold enough that you need to close the window and well... that happens li9ke 5 or 6 times during a year down here. lol

Make sure you don't spray flammable paint/thinner directly into that fan you got set up though. Might spark and catch any flammable stuff going out.

Latest posts

Back