Lockheed Martin P-3 Orion

Chiefpettyofficer

...we all are victims of Shermans march to the sea
Well, its not really a Model Kit. Its a desk model, which I got from a friend in NC years ago. There were some US Navy Decals on it and some parts missing. Cause the whole aircraft was yellowed, I decided to sand it down and paint it new. I have to admit, Im not familiar with US aircraft, so I did a long research for possiple colors and markings. I had to make custom decals, so there mustnt be too much of them, because I have no color printer anymore.
During the research for the right color I found an interesting alternative. A private organisation use the Orion as an firefighting plane in California. I immediate liked the color and the paint job looks practicable!

So I started work on her. First I had to sand down the old color and decals. Then shes got a Tamiya grey overall coating. I also engraved the important panel lines. That was very difficult because the thermoplast was darned thick...
For the first step, shes got a XF-2 white layer.

[attachment deleted by admin]

After some masking work, shes got the red parts. Black, Aluminium followed soon. The civilian P-3 has an belly tank to transport water or chemicals. I used parts from a blister package to form this tank. Its not 100% original, but thats ok. Otherwise she wouldnt fit on her stand anymore.

I also masked windows and roof lights. I made some decals from clear and white sheet and add them to the Orion. I also found the fuselage number. It was really tricky to cut the small numbers, but it worked :)

I hadnt any idea for the stand, at first. But soon there was one. I heared the song "Hollywood Hills" on the radio and I remembered, that Hollywood is somewere in California. So I had the idea to let the Orion fly above those Hollywood hills :) I cut some letters from styrene sheet and add them to the stand, which I covered with diorama grass. I guess Im getting mad, aint I?
At least, my Orion get a varnish cover. I have to regard the propellers, now. 2 are missing. I have to rebuild them somehow. More soon

Thanks guys, Im very proud on her. It was an interesting but tricky masking work. The red color is too bright on the images :-/

Pretty Cool Job my man !!! Awesome Taping job.... not always easy to apply Tape on a Round shape !!! You did an outstanding job on the paint as well !

Keep up the good work....

Soo, I finished the Orion tonight. I add the missing propellers and weathering. The only left thing is to add the Aero Union insignia: I have to try to print them at work.

Hey, CPO, that is a really great restoration that you've got going! The finish is coming out very nice.

Thanks, Meister Baron. Glad you like it. It was a tricky but funny restoration. The orion make sure some distraction in my collection ;D

Latest posts

Back