Just passing. Saw the light on. Thought I'd drop in.

Ember

You can only eat an elephant a mouthful at a time
Greetings and salutations from the big island at the bottom of the world.

I built a few plastic static kits as a kid, but never anything substantial. My older brothers took their turns at Airfix aircraft and battleships, but cars were always where my heart lay. But for some reason I could never convince my mother that plastic kit car building was a suitable hobby for a girl. :(

As a young adult I bought a few kits for a boyfriend who was a massive Star Trek nut. From memory there was a 1701 Enterprise and a 1701D. Anyway, the kits sat around for ages before he eventually got around to building the original version, which was the simplest kit. I'm not sure who got more frustrated, he with the build and trying to be patient, or me watching him. Suffice to say he had a bit of a hissy fit over some small part that he couldn't get right and the Enterprise actually flew :eek: though not quite at warp speed. I decided it was safer for my nerves and physical well being if I built the 1701D for him. We parted company shortly after the build was completed.

So, we'll fast forward to a few years ago when I let my car passion get the better of me again. Not static kits this time, I wanted movement. The real cars that I want are a little hard to store, not to mention expensive, so I settled for slot cars. My modelling tends to be 1:32 scale scenery for the slot car track and dioramas for displaying cars. I also have a pile of 1:32 static kits that I've been gathering intending to build and convert them to slots one day.

NicandGonzo2.jpg
I can't take credit for the cars unfortunately, only the surroundings.
cherry_criser.jpg

Looking forward to learning lots from you all.

Cheers
Embs

I have hard that 1/32 slot cars are making a comeback, I had no idea that there was a whole other side of it with making scenery for it. That is awesome. Great work there Ember. Id love to see more of it. Welcome to SMA.

Please dont hold it against me, but I have also launched a troublesome Enterprise A kit accross the room once. It did get completed though after I cooled off my plasma injectors a bit.. lol.

Thanks for the welcome folks

Carsenault said:
I have hard that 1/32 slot cars are making a comeback, I had no idea that there was a whole other side of it with making scenery for it. That is awesome.
I think somewhere along the line a train guy got bored with going backwards and forwards and decided to go round and around instead... at speed. ;)

But seriously, there is so much detail in some of the new slot cars on offer it doesn't seem right to neglect the environment that they run in. So, there is now a third and growing branch to the hobby. Alongside the Racers and the Collectors we now also have the Modellers.

If I can get Photobucket to play the game today I'll post some other work in appropriate places.

Cheers
Embs

I would really like to some more of that scenery, looks really good.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the welcome folks.

Ravhin, there's plenty more of the scenery to see. The track table is 3.5m x 1.5m. That makes for a rather large diorama. :)

Cheers
Embs
Tiger_prowl.jpg

Latest posts

Back