Jagdpanzer E 100

IT’S ALIVE!

Oh yes... Today the Jagdpanzer E 100 fired up its engines for the first time and left the workshop, heading for the paintbooth...

Man, what a rush to finally getting it done...

I’ve spent almost a month just turning it over and over in my hands, wondering what to do with it. Originally I had planned to festoon it with stowage, camo-netting, crew, tank riders, tools, whatever to show a tank that was working on the fringes of the Third Reich towards the end of the war. But the more stowage I added, the more displeased I was with the result.
Finally, three days ago, I figured out what was wrong. The tank is simply so big that the stowage looks absolutely ridiculously out of place. I just couldn’t make it all click together without covering the entire tank. And I still wanted to preserve the overall smooth lines of the hull so...

Three days ago I simply tore off all the gubbinz. That, of course, left me with a pitted and cratered surface, filled with holes and patches of half-melted plastic where the stowage had been glued on. So I had to cover the entire casemate in 0.5 mm. plastic-sheets to cover it all and then seal the edges with brownstuff. The next two days was spent running greenstuff welding seams around the tank to recreate the texture that shows the areas where the armour plates meet. Yes, I know, it looks a bit overdone but that was the whole look that I was going after. I wanted to model a tank that had obviously been crudely welded together from whatever types of steel plates were available at Krupp towards late ’45 or early ’46.

This then, is the completed Jagdpanzer E 100 Ausf. a as it would look in the spring of 1947. Or, as I have nicknamed it, the Frankentank...

The front show the extremely thick glacis plate, measuring a full 200 mm. angled at 60 degrees, and the fearsome 15 cm. KwK L/63 anti-tank gun.

A close up of the front shows the top of the casemate with the gunners periscope in the foreground and Oberleutnant Jürgen Hoffmann, commander of Kampfgruppe Hoffmann (consisting of his Jagdpanzer and a small mixed unit of Heer and Volksgrenadier troops – a sorry lot to be sure, but at this point in the war you should count yourself fortunate to have a unit to command at all...).

Also, if you look closely at the commander’s hatch you might notice small pieces of plastic-sheet in the openings. For some reason the kit didn’t include optics for the hatch so I had to make my own, using plastic-sheets backed by greenstuff.

The rear shows the engine deck and the tools stowed away there. It also shows the small double-hatch leading into the tank itself.

The top shows a peculiar assortment of equipment.

In the middle is the opening for a snorkel system. However, the system was never installed and so the holes for securing the snorkel is missing altogether.
To the right of the commander's hatch is what was supposed to be the gunner's hatch. However, since the tank was equipped with a rangefinder salvaged from another project the gunner had to be moved to the left side of the tank, being placed right in front of the commander. The hatch is now used by the right-side loader.
Behind the commander's hatch is a fan and right behind that is a compression filter. As Kampfgruppe Hoffmann was originally detailed to operate along the edges of the irradiated Zeelow Heights, it was deemed necessary to install equipment that could pressurise the casemate.
And behind the loader’s hatch is a plate welded into place over what should originally have been a third hatch, designed to ease the stowage of ammunition.

Well, that was the tank itself. The final picture shows why I need to win one of those spraybooths – the tank is too large to fit into my homemade booth... ;D

;D

Good work!

Not sure if I saw it or read it...but I think Trumpeter is actually releasing it!! This year...

Part of their paper tiger series!

Keep the good work coming! You are almost done!

Nice!

I noticed the figure in the hatch. Do you paint your figures in place? If so why? Doesn't that make it harder than it needs to be?

schweinhund227 said:
;D

Good work!

Not sure if I saw it or read it...but I think Trumpeter is actually releasing it!! This year...

Part of their paper tiger series!

Keep the good work coming! You are almost done!

Yeah, I heard that rumour myself. Just my rotten luck...

Anyway, all this work hasn’t been wasted. It’s helped me to get back into scale-modelling and given we a lot of experience when converting scale-models. Experience which will be useful when I start tackling the big projects...

ShutterAce said:
Nice!

I noticed the figure in the hatch. Do you paint your figures in place? If so why? Doesn't that make it harder than it needs to be?

Usually I wouldn’t do it. But in this case, in order to get the commander to lean naturally on the copula, I had to take of some of the plastic on the underside of the arms. I then used brownstuff to sculpt the fabric back into place, slightly hanging out over the side of the copula. For this reason, i found it easier to glue him in place and the complete the sculpting and painting later.

I didn't mean to blow your bubble.... But just bringing the good news.... We to! Will be able to get one in our collection...... I have seen others like you do a scratch built of this beast.... It's always impressive! And yes! If it brought you back to modeling! Even better!

Can't wait to see more color photos....

Later.

Norm.

Well, as I described http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,2743.msg36353.html#msg36353]here[/url], I’ve had a few problems with getting the paint down. But that’s not going to slow me down, now that we’ve entered the final sprint.

You may ask why I tried to use the same technique to darken the colour on the Jagdpanzer as on the KV-2 when I already knew that it wasn’t working quite as intended. Well, I had the airbrush loaded and in hand so...

Anyway...

So the camo is done and the first filter has been applied. Right now the tank is in quarantine as the hairspray I used in preparation for some weathering is drying. Seriously, my man-cave smells like a cheap hair salon right now... Phooey...

Pics of the camo. And speaking of which... Does any of you have any good tutorials on how to do a proper camo-job? I can never seem to get it looking quite as I want it to...

Now with a filter applied. Don’t know if the difference is that obvious...

thats totally awesome dude, i like how the plates look like they have been welded, nice touch..

8)

There are many ways to apply Camo ! First we need to find out what sort of Air Brush you are using ?

I could tell you some info... but if you paint with a Single action ? then what I would tell you wouldn't necessary help you ?

First things first... tell us what you are using and at what pressure you Spray ?

and your camo isn't bad at all ! and if you don't like it... that's an indication it might actually work ? a pretty camo.. could be pleasing to the eye... but would make you Stick out like a sore Thumb !!!

Ok.. the floor is to you !

What a machine! Camo looks great to me.

I love the welds. Looking really good.

Thanks for your willingness to help guys. Really appreciate it...

I’m using a dual-action airbrush. Tried a cheap single action first but quickly decided that it wasn’t worth it...

I’ll usually have my compressor set for somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1,75 PSI. Sometimes I crank it up to 2 PSI if the paint I’m using is slightly thick. Sometimes I lower it to 1,5 PSI if the paint is a bit thin or if I have to work really close to the model – painting camouflage, for example.

So far I’ve been sticking exclusively with Vallejo paints and Games Workshop Washes, thinned in a ratio of 1:1 so I have a paint that’s ever so slightly thicker than milk. I’ve tried to up the ratio to almost 1 part paint to 2 parts water, but I found that it made the paint extremely runny and hard to control unless I sprays at a fairly great distance (a foot or thereabout) from the model in order to let the paint partially dry before hitting the model.

In truth, it’s all been down to a lot of trial and error. I haven’t had my airbrush for that long and this is the first big scale-model that I’m using it for. Using it to lay the first few layers of paint on a tabletop model is easy enough. Painting a three-tone camouflage on a 1:35 scale model is something quite different...

In retrospect I should probably have done some testing on cheap 1:72 scale models... But... Baaah... Who dares wins... ;D

F2K,

This has turned out Great !! I like all of th Weld Beads & The Camo !! I'm lookin forward to seein' some Weathering on this Beast !!

Did I even mention that I'm making all of this up as I go along?

Sigh...

Yet another change of plans...

As soon as I started to apply the weathering, the paint began to peel off. I must admit that I'm completely mystified by this. This is the first model were I've experienced this. Usually, the paint adheres nicely as long as the first coat includes some foundation paint. But not this one...

So, I had to do something - and quickly...

I tried to repair all the tears in the paint. But since the new patches of paint hadn't been weathered it just ended up looking like... Well... You know...

So, in desperation, I changed it to a winter camouflage.

I hit the entire tank with a good dose of varnish and then some hairspray. A coat of white (and a lot of careful scrubbing) and the tank ended up looking like this:

As so many other things on this tank, things didn't end up being quite as planed. With some of the original weathering caught under then varnish, the winter-wash ended up looking more like a dirty greyish-white than a proper white camouflage. But meeeh...

The tracks were also a bit of an experiment. They were a strange yellowish-brown due to the overspray from working with the road wheels and lower superstructure. So I used a sponge with a bit of dark red-brown paint to make it look as if the primer was peeking through in places. I then airbrushed the tracks, road wheels, and engine-deck with a very light coat of light-brown paint to simulate dirt. Finally, I gave it a thorough treatment with several shades of brown pigment, letting it build up in recesses.

The end result is a nice contrast between the dirty tracks / road wheels and the white casemate.

So, that's the Jagdpanzer E 100 done. Quite a struggle, if I may say so. This is easily the most jinxed build I've ever done, fighting me all the way.

But... Nevermind... It's done and I managed to get an email out the door at two minutes to midnight...

Way to go f2k!! I think it came out brilliant! 2 minutes eh?? too close for comfort! ;D Well done.....good luck!!

Latest posts

Back