Jagdpanzer E 100

f2k

I just realized that I still haven’t posted anything from my contest entry, so here it is: The Jagdpanzer E 100.

The inspiration from this was a small section in Panzer Tracts 6-3 regarding Krupp’s suggestion to create a Sturmgeschütz based on the chassis of both the Maus and E 100 chassis. Equiped with either a 15 cm. or 17 cm. anti-tank gun, this would have been a beast of a tank destroyer, quite capable of taking out any tank at ranges well over 3000 m.

But while the armament was certainly impressive, the usefulness of the tank destroyer itself must be questioned. Equiped with a 15 cm. KwK L/63 gun, the vehicle would likely have had a length of 15+ m. and a combat weight of somewhere between 100 t. and 120 t - much too large to be practical as a weapon of war.

Not that that’s going to stop me from building it anyway…

I’m aware that there already exists a conversion-kit for the 1/35 scale Super Heavy E 100 Tank. However, the company doesn’t seem to exist anymore and, in any case, I’m not a fan of the conversion. Besides, kit-bashing is so much funnier than simply slapping a conversion-kit together…

This then, is my take on the design of the Jagdpanzer E 100.

My main priority was to retain the characteristic 60 degree slope on the front. Behind this I wanted to create a large casemate stretching all the way back to the engine deck like on the Jagdtiger. For a while I toyed with the possibility of sloping the sides of the casemate to match the slope on the track guards. But that would have reduced the available space within the tank to a point where I had some difficulties to imagine how that would have worked in reality. So I settled on using a far more conservative slope, again taking inspiration from the Jagdtiger.

For the first attempt at a design, I created a polystyrene mockup of the casemate to help me get a feel for the angles involved. However, I wasn’t entirely happy with the outcome. The E 100 was a fairly heavily sloped tank and the box-like casemate just didn’t fit the rest of the tank.

While I was wrestling with this problem I keep turning the model over and over in my hands. And then inspiration struck! The turret had nearly the same width as the tank (minus a few mm. on each side) and it was fairly sloped. If I cut it down a bit and used that to created the rear part of the casemate it would not only provide the slope I was looking for, it would also create a foundation that I could use to fix my kit-bashed parts and a near perfect mount for the gun.

As can be seen from the last picture, I have created the majority of the plates for the front of the tank. I cut off parts of the front-slope and the glued-in-place turret and connected them with plastic card. This, unfortunately, left the part of the gun mount sticking out of the glacis plate, but that couldn’t be helped. I could have placed the gun even lower in the chassis, but that would have required even more cutting and gluing. So I decided to go with the original mount as that was simply far more convenient…

Nice work so far. Thanks for the info on the tank. Do you have any pics. of the original tank?

Nice scratch work, this should look cool when done. Reminds me of my friend Steve Reid's E 75 kitbash/scratchwork.

scratchmod

noname said:
Nice work so far. Thanks for the info on the tank. Do you have any pics. of the original tank?

I'm glad you like the info - there're those who think I talk way to much about such things. But I do have a certain interest for the German paper panzers...

The original tank never got further than a half-finished chassis, so no pictures of a completed real.life tank. There is one, however, of a couple of GI's inspecting the chassis:

a0002240_48a98e9eb0c71.jpg

This is a picture of the model that the basis for my Jagdpanzen:

e-100-trumpeter.jpg

And of the conversion-kit that I mentioned:

35_llm_sjgdpz_e100-003.jpg

As you can see, particularly in the picture with the GI's, this is an absolute beast of a tank. The sheer size of the tank is also the reason why I entered it into the contest as a diorama. I want to include a few soldiers to give the viewer a sense of scale...

Thanks for that. I have a better picture of where you are going with this now. :)

Liking this! Nice conversion happening. Waiting to see what next! ;D

Yeah, I dig it !! Research & All ! Thanx for th background. Your work looks Steller !! It looks like what would happen if a Jagd-Panther & a King Tiger had a Baby !!!

I'm really liking this one !!

panzerace007 said:
Yeah, I dig it !! Research & All ! Thanx for th background. Your work looks Steller !! It looks like what would happen if a Jagd-Panther & a King Tiger had a Baby !!!

I'm really liking this one !!

LOL! The picture that made in my head was truly priceless... ;D

I’m glad you all like it. I’m actually quite happy with the progress myself. The build’s been going along much faster and smoother than I had dared hope. In fact, I’m getting close to the part of the build that I dread the most: greenstuffing. I’ve got quite a few gaps to fill in and I need to rebuild the welding-seams going around the top of the turret and I need to take them down along the edges of the glacis plate. That’s not going to be any fun at all. Last time I did that much greenstuffing at once was when I was building my 1/100 scale “Ratte”. And I had some real difficulties getting the greenstuff smoothed down again...

Perhaps I should try brownstuff this time...?

To tell you the truth, I’m sooooooo tempted to cover the tank in zimmerit in order to avoid all the tedious detailing and grinding. But that would be completely out of place on a vehicle that would realistically not have been in service until late 1946 or thereabout...

In any case, here’s a small update from today’s work. I’ve filled in the missing areas on the top of the casemate, installed a shot-deflector, and kit-bashed the barrel. With the barrel loosely fitted into place (I won’t glue it in until after I’ve painted the tank), you can begin to appreciate the size of this thing. From breach to the tip of the barrel, the length of the gun itself is a whopping 9 m. - as long as the tank itself. And with the gun installed partly retracted into the chassis, the tank itself measures just above 14 m. from exhaust to the tip of the barrel. Quite a monster, this thing, being almost 50% longer, wider, and heavier than the Jagdtiger.

Cool project !!...looks like its of to a good start too :)

Chris.

I’ve gotten a bit more work done. But not nearly enough, I’m afraid...

The basic shape of the casemate and the lower portion of the hull is done. But now I’ve just hit a wall. Hard...

My plan was to make a greenstuff casting of the texture on the welding seams. But it turned out, that the texture was so shallow that I simply couldn’t get a proper casting of it. I could, of course, try to sculpt it myself. But I must admit that I’m having a slightly hard time figuring out how to replicate the really fine detail. And there’s a LOT of areas that needs to be covered in these seams.

Right now I’m wondering if I should simply sculpt it up somewhat smooth and then cover the entire front of the casemate with camouflage nets, stowage, sticks and leaves, and whatever bitz’n’pieces I can think of. But that would, I fear, obscure the otherwise clean lines of the tank.
On the other hand, I fell that it would be somewhat appropriate for a tank from so late in the war. Build from whatever materials could be procured and festooned with all kinds of odss’n’ends...

Anyway, here’re a few pictures of the tank as it stands now. The scratch-build parts have been brownstuffed and then smoothed down to as smooth a finish I could. But I still, just as with my Ratte, can’t get an entirely smooth transition from the original parts to the plast-card. Just as I feared...

Definitely look good there! I personally like the camo, stick, mud idea! Bringing some life into the beast! Looking forward to you next installment!! ;D

With a Gun this Big and this Long.... you might have to ADD some Counterweight somewhere....????

LOL just kidding !

what a Monster !!! Just Massive !!!

keep gluing

schweinhund227 said:
With a Gun this Big and this Long.... you might have to ADD some Counterweight somewhere....????

There's actually a bit of truth to that. I was originally going to keep the gun off the tank until it was all painted but now I'm not so sure. The barrel is a lot heavier than the original and the mounting-point might not be entirely up to the job. I might have to pin it in place and add some greenstuff before assembling the chassis.
I'm also wondering if perhaps I should add a gun travel limiter to add extra support. But the extremely long mantle is kinda in the way. It would have to project a fair bit forward from the tank in order to fit...

I guess we'll just have to see... Right now I'm simply working in proper scratch-build-mode... Making it all up as I go along...

Who needs a plan anyway...?

And speaking of going along, here's a small update. The brownstuff has been added to the casemate and I've tried, as best I could, to replicate the texture from the original turret. But, to be honest, I'm not entirely satisfied with the result.

In the end I'll probably end up covering the large welding-seams on the front with camo-netting, boxes, whatever I can come up with...

I think your weld effects look spot on too me fella , over all its coming on very nice ;D,she'll look a lot better with a coat of primer on .

Chris.

Latest posts

Back