Introduction to Airbrushing with Ken Schlotfeldt

Ok so I just watched all hour and a half of this video and am very glad I did. Very very valuable information from Mr. Badger himself. Now my question is this. A few pieces of info were contradicting to info people have shared on different forums. Updating my notes now lol. Thanks for sharing this Mate, that was a very informative video.

hooterville75 said:
Now my question is this. A few pieces of info were contradicting to info people have shared on different forums.

Like what?

Remember, what you may have been told on forums might come from people who have shaped their craft to fit what they do over years of experience, while Ken speaks from a manufacturers point of view.

Yea I thought about that after I posted Ken!!!! Good point. Just like he didnt recommend spraying higher then 30 lbs but said he knows of two people that have mastered spraying scale models at 60 psi's.

Well, I wouldn't recommend spraying above 30 either but I spray at about 10-15 on average. 8)

Ken and I have talked about airbrushing quite a few times and we don't always agree on everything. He thinks the Patriot 105 is all a modeler needs and brushes like the SOTAR 20/20 are more of an artists 'detail pen', and while technically he's absolutely correct, I couldn't have done the German mottling on my 1/72 scale 229 with a Patriot 105.

He knows his tools extremely well but I know what works for me ...and he and I still remain good friends anyway lol. ;) ;D

For anyone getting started it's a great Video. And Ken does say that need to work with it to find out what works for You and what You are doing. I have and old Pasche H model, and Ken is right it's a great large area air brush, but lousy at detail work. Got My eye on a Krome when I get some extra funds.

Its a good video for those that want to know how airbrushes actually work and basic care. His stories and genuine care for customers will always put badgers at the top of my buying list.

Ken Abrams said:
Ken and I have talked about airbrushing quite a few times and we don't always agree on everything. He thinks the Patriot 105 is all a modeler needs and brushes like the SOTAR 20/20 are more of an artists 'detail pen', and while technically he's absolutely correct, I couldn't have done the German mottling on my 1/72 scale 229 with a Patriot 105.

So glad that the airbrush I have is actually a Badger Patriot 105 LOL. Waiting patiently for my order from Coast Air Brush to get here from CA to replace the needle. Ordered the nozzle and spring as well just to have wish Id have ordered another spare needle to have more spare parts on hand. Spud mentioned that AFTER I placed the order. Wish he'd have chimed in a bit earlier HA HA. I defiantely need to get a cleaning station so I have an airbrush holder because I'm forever dropping the god for saken thing. Hoping that will stop so I don't have to stop so much to fill the cup lol.

While I really enjoy my Iwata Eclipse HP-CS, I can see I'm also going to need a bottom siphon feed airbrush to. Since I plan on building larger scale models like 1/35, 1/32 and 1/24, I could use an airbrush that's more like a spray gun and put down primer or clear coats faster. The Badger Anthem 155 looks like it might be what I'm looking for, I want to stay with an internal mix airbrush.

Oops - guess I should have checked to see if anyone posted a link to Chung's video here already. Sorry for my redundant post.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding what, why, when, why not - please eamil me directly at [email protected]

KenBadger said:
Oops - guess I should have checked to see if anyone posted a link to Chung's video here already. Sorry for my redundant post.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding what, why, when, why not - please eamil me directly at [email protected]

Ken, I will be emailing you as well as I was going to be emailing you later this week before you even made this post. So stay tuned for a email from [email protected] I think its in regards to something that will be of great interest to you. Thanks again.

Deron

Thanks for the heads up Ken. I also posted this to the SMA Facebook today.

Great video and really a must see...if you have any questions about airbrushing guys, this is the video to watch.

Good video! There were some things I didn't know and some things I do differently. Definitely gave me some insights - thanks for posting the video!

Thought You all would like this. ;D

Thanks to Chung for making this, and for Ken for letting Chung tape Him giving this class.

Makes Me want a Badger!

Texaslobo said:
Makes Me want a Badger!

Ha ha - I was thinking the same thing at times during the video. I was very impressed with Ken and his gracious treatment of the competition. He said they all make great brushes. He never once took a shot. That's a classy and practical stance. If I ever do need a new AB I will definitely consider the Badger brushes. ;)

Daf57 said:
I was very impressed with Ken and his gracious treatment of the competition. He said they all make great brushes. He never once took a shot.

Yup. Super guy all around.

I thought it was really interesting how he is completely against fully disassembling the airbrush and using cleaning kits. It does make since though, I probably damaged my anthem 155 by using one of those kits.

WOW certainly a great video. Kens candid and clearly explained beliefs and suggestions dispelled a lot of myths for me. From a clear basic point of view best instructional vid yet. I agree with the sentiments that his clean approach to his company and his competitors is refreshing to see.

I noted he mentioned a denture product in regards to dis-assembly cleaning if you don't have a ultrasonic cleaner. This name he mentioned unknown to me in New Zealand but are there similar products out there and has anyone tried it?

Cheers to all who had a hand in producing this vid

Gav ;D

Great video. I will be buying a new set up next week. My first venture into air brushing. Up till now I have just been using the cheap air can kit. I don't feel as intimidated by it after watching this and instructional set.

I loved this video! I have a Badger velocity in route now hoping it will arrive today or tomorrow. I am pretty sure that I have made a great choice in product. It is great to see a man stand behind his product so diligently, I believe I am now a Badger fan for life. Even though I still have yet to ever use an AB LOL...

Latest posts

Back