HobbyBoss M3A1 scout car and Celticwerks resin base

S

ScaleModelMadman

This is a project I have been working on behind the scenes for Military Modelcraft International and will be featured in a future issue. The photos posted here were not submitted to the magazine, so I thought I would share them. The Hobby Boss kit is a lot better than the old M3A1 kit available under many different manufacturers re-boxing's but it still has some parts that are a bit over scale and clunky that I replaced with parts from kits that had more finesse.

The resin display base is a Celticwerks base and can be found on their products page, number CWS005. The foliage is from the Silflor range and while fairly expensive, looks the part when it comes to live plants. The figure is made up of some older Verlinden airborne soldier parts taken from the spares box. All the stowage was either scratchbuilt, or random pieces from the spares box and painted in place. Everything is painted in acrylics and weathered with AK Interactive enamels.

The build was loosely based upon a photo in a Steve Zaloga book, showing a camouflaged scout car providing support to the 82nd airborne in Italy, found on page 29 of Concords, US Tank Battles- in North Africa and Italy 1943-45.

ONE.jpg
TWO.jpg
THREE.jpg
FOUR.jpg

Incredible Ken!!! Love the painting, the ground cover, stowage, the fig.....Everything!!! ;) Well done!! Hoby Boss you say?? You have certainly done this one justice!! 8)

Thanks for sharing!

Ken ! Awesome !

You are sure making this look easy... I can only dream of painting like this....
and you use those new Foilage like a pro ! Can't wait for those guys to get store on line....

One thing though.... The star on the Hood ! shouldn't be pointing towards the Windshield ?
I always thought the star had to point up while looking at it from the ground.... ?
I know there mentions of Crooked Stars due to stencilling by troops but... just asking !

Not trying to stir anything .... don't get me wrong! just a question !

T! thanks dudeman.

Looks a little different than the way it was when you saw it at Steve's eh? I told you I'd dirty up the interior to match the exterior. ;D

Unca' Tony, I appreciate the kind words. I'm only doing what I love to do my good sir. Glad to here you thinks it's a keeper.

Norm, thanks. And to answer your Q's:

schweinhund227 said:
and you use those new Foilage like a pro ! Can't wait for those guys to get store on line....

Norm, these are Silflor products, (not Armorfarm) you can find them online somewhere, the name escapes me at the moment. Just google Silflor and you should find it.

schweinhund227 said:
One thing though.... The star on the Hood ! shouldn't be pointing towards the Windshield ?
I always thought the star had to point up while looking at it from the ground.... ?

Actually, the 'by the book' way called out in the field manuals have the star positioned as I have it, oriented in the direction of travel. However, what happens in the field is not always by the book.

Anyway, both ways are correct as you can find photos showing both orientations. *see below

Untitled-9.jpg

Wow. Very nice job! I've always liked the look of that car. Any issues with the kit?

Big difference!!! :eek: Keep looking back at em...really like that splash of color you through in there...it set everything off perfectly!!! Goin on a google search myself, need some of that IVY!!!! ;)

Then Ken ! for the info on the foiliage and the photos, Now that puts a rest to that question....
in my mind !

I will have to try those color modulations on my Dragon wagon... one of these days !

Later ! and great job again on that Vignette !

:eek: :eek: :eek: WOW ....Now that is the Koala's coconuts !!!! Up to your usual excellent standard Ken ....you da man ;D .Looks like another good read coming up :) ....Love it ;)

Chris.

Neat. I'd like to get one of these someday and do a Canadain version. Nicely done.

@Ken, Great finish (as usual) how was the kit to build....got one here in the stash, do mine up Canadian of course.

The Silfor products come from Scenic Express. I have tried multiple times as a business to buy from them for the shop, but they don't seem interested. Silfor is made in Germany (I think), unfortunately their own website is all in German and I no spek en sin Deutch.....so I have no idea what they are going on about...nor do they answer their e-mails.

Will be glad when this new company gets off the ground in the US....I assume they might be open to wholesale sales.

Thanks again guys.

Chris, this should be a better read, unlike the other one, this was meant to be an article from the start. Unless they edit the heck out of it. ;) I guess we'll see (maybe January's issue?)

SoarinSukhoi said:
Any issues with the kit?

Elm City Hobbies said:
@Ken, ...how was the kit to build....got one here in the stash, do mine up Canadian of course.

Thanks guys, the kit was a fun build. I found no major assembly issues with it at all. Only some pin marks on the crew/troop compartment divider but nothing major.

The skate rail and the machine guns and dollies and the tools are kinda' clunky and over scale, there's also an accuracy issue with the skate rail but that's only for the more picky builders like myself. I go into length in the article about this stuff but it's still much better than the what we had prior.

wow Ken thats epic, ill look forward to getting hold of a copy and read it. i have another mag were somguy made one so it will be interesting to see your build

nah yeah, it's not too bad dude

It's freakin awesome :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I got to see this while he was working on it, but the final product looks even better now.

Very nice brotha.

hhhmmm.....might have to go on the Slifor German site and see if I can order some direct. I'll need a lot for the Loki dio.

Fantastic build and I must say I do envy you your skills. My complements M8.
Cheers
Lukasz

Latest posts

Back