Roden 1914 Pattern RR Armored Car

MystRacing

After deciding I wanted to get in on the Mark 1 group build, I went to researching WW1 tanks and other armor etc. Being as the group build is planned to begin in January, I painted up some crew figures, and then decided to do a quick build to get back into the plastic model world. When I was looking at the various tanks and available kits I came across the Rolls Royce armored car and decided I'd like to build one. I watched a video comparing the Takom and Roden version and opted for the Roden because it had the engine and interior.

When I started this, I wasn't planning on posting anything about it, but after looking around there isn't a lot of information, I could find beyond a few reviews that made some generalizations and didn't actually build it. So, at any rate here we go.

For starters this is the kit I have, Roden makes a couple versions with the most obvious difference being the spoked wheels on the 1914 pattern vs solid wheels on the 1920 pattern. They also have different fenders, lights, and turret for the other main differences. The 1914 Pattern kit is actually the 1920 Pattern kit with one extra sprue containing the parts that are different from the 1920 Pattern, and of course the spoked wheels. The 1920 pattern tires and wheels are not included so you can't really build the 1920 Pattern with this kit unless you make or source wheels elsewhere.

1914-001-L.jpg

All of the reviews I saw both videos and pictures show the plastic as molded in a dark green. To my surprise when I opened the box everything in my kit was molded in medium gray plastic with the exception of one sprue.

SO, being as I wasn't planning on doing this thread I sat down and went to work. I started on the engine as that is the first step, and when gluing the 4th or 5th piece, I reached across the bench and managed to knock my bottle of Tamiya extra thin cement over and soaked the instruction book. I said something like "Gosh that's not great", Then cleaned up the bench and set the instructions outside to dry. Almost threw them away, fortunately I gathered myself back up before that.

After a few deep breaths I opened Fusion 360 and drew a glue bottle holder and printed it on my 3D printer. Picture below.

Glue%20Holder-L.jpg

I have accidentally tested the glue holder already and it works great.

So, I finished assembling the engine, there are about 42 parts for the engine, very nicely detailed IMO.

The next part in the instruction manual was the wheels. I was nervous about building these as I have had some major issues with PE in the part. The spokes are made from PE as you would expect. After removing from the tree, all 12 of the PE sections with gaps have to be bent to shape.

1914-003-M.jpg

Roden sent along these 4 round what I guess I'll refer to as forms. You take the PE spoke section that corresponds with each plastic piece and basically just mash the brass down on the plastic and it creates the needed shape. If you press rite on the outer ring it also bends the outer section so it will lay flat in the wheel.

A couple of these don't seem to put much of a bend in the brass but it turns out just right. You also have to be careful which brass pieces you do on which forms. The instructions tell you, just a warning though, the number on the brass tree doesn't match the number molded on the form.

1914-002-M.jpg

Much to my surprise these went together really easy. You don't even need any CA if you don't want to use it. The inside of the brass pieces are captured on both sides by the plastic inner hub, and the outer portion is captured between the wheel and a plastic inner ring, or rings for the duels. I'm extremely impressed with Roden's design on the wheels. There are a lot of parts a total of 60 for the 6 wheel assemblies.

AA-001-L.jpg

Next I went to work on the chassis. The rails are separate and there are a lot of little detail pieces for the brakes etc. I have somewhere around 6 hours of work in this so far not counting the 2 hours I spent on the wheels. I have had two issues with fitment. The drive shaft from the engine to the transmission, and the one from the rear axle housing to the transmission were too long. Both had to be trimmed about 1mm to make things fit. That could be an issue with my building of course but I don't think it was. Other than that everything fit great. Here's where I am rite now on the build.

AA-002-L.jpg

Generally, here are some thoughts I have on this kit.

First the plastic seems about as soft as any plastic kit I've ever built. Doesn't seem to be a problem but even assembled it's a little surprising how flexible it is. It does not seem to be causing any problems. On some of the really thin parts it seems to help keep them from snapping in two.

Second thought is there are a lot of parts. The chassis with engine is probably around 100 parts. If that is good or bad is certainly subjective. The detail is great, but if the hood is installed over the engine and the doors behind the turret are closed it's a waste of time. Oddly after all the effort making a nicely detailed engine the hood isn't designed to be mounted open. It'll have to be custom modified to be open. Just a side note; I watched a youtube video of building the Meng version of this vehicle and the Meng chassis only has about 20 parts with no engine.

So far I'm happy with this kit. I'm trying to figure out when to paint what. I think I want to do It basically in 3 separate parts. The chassis, the body, and the wheels. Kits with interiors and engines are always a challenge to paint.

Last edited:
I fixed it, usually I do like I did here on the second try. I have a professional photo account and external link them. Some forums prefer I use the provided upload space, so I gave that a shot. Not entirely sure what happened when I tried to do the direct upload. Doesn't really matter to me but doesn't use up the forums resources if I external link them I think.

Yeah , I host all my photos on Imgur .
There was a problem with the site hosted pix last week and Blackbeard fixed it .
The problem might be back . I'll DM him about it .

After deciding I wanted to get in on the Mark 1 group build, I went to researching WW1 tanks and other armor etc. Being as the group build is planned to begin in January, I painted up some crew figures, and then decided to do a quick build to get back into the plastic model world. When I was looking at the various tanks and available kits I came across the Rolls Royce armored car and decided I'd like to build one. I watched a video comparing the Takom and Roden version and opted for the Roden because it had the engine and interior.

When I started this, I wasn't planning on posting anything about it, but after looking around there isn't a lot of information, I could find beyond a few reviews that made some generalizations and didn't actually build it. So, at any rate here we go.

For starters this is the kit I have, Roden makes a couple versions with the most obvious difference being the spoked wheels on the 1914 pattern vs solid wheels on the 1920 pattern. They also have different fenders, lights, and turret for the other main differences. The 1914 Pattern kit is actually the 1920 Pattern kit with one extra sprue containing the parts that are different from the 1920 Pattern, and of course the spoked wheels. The 1920 pattern tires and wheels are not included so you can't really build the 1920 Pattern with this kit unless you make or source wheels elsewhere.

View attachment 110726

All of the reviews I saw both videos and pictures show the plastic as molded in a dark green. To my surprise when I opened the box everything in my kit was molded in medium gray plastic with the exception of one sprue.

SO, being as I wasn't planning on doing this thread I sat down and went to work. I started on the engine as that is the first step, and when gluing the 4th or 5th piece, I reached across the bench and managed to knock my bottle of Tamiya extra thin cement over and soaked the instruction book. I said something like "Gosh that's not great", Then cleaned up the bench and set the instructions outside to dry. Almost threw them away, fortunately I gathered myself back up before that.

After a few deep breaths I opened Fusion 360 and drew a glue bottle holder and printed it on my 3D printer. Picture below.

View attachment 110727

So, I finished assembling the engine, there are about 42 parts for the engine, very nicely detailed IMO.

The next part in the instruction manual was the wheels. I was nervous about building these as I have had some major issues with PE in the part. The spokes are made from PE as you would expect. After removing from the tree, all 12 of the PE sections with gaps have to be bent to shape.

View attachment 110728

Roden sent along these 4 round what I guess I'll refer to as forms. You take the PE spoke section that corresponds with each plastic piece and basically just mash the brass down on the plastic and it creates the needed shape. If you press rite on the outer ring it also bends the outer section so it will lay flat in the wheel.

A couple of these don't seem to put much of a bend in the brass but it turns out just right. You also have to be careful which brass pieces you do on which forms. The instructions tell you, just a warning though, the number on the brass tree doesn't match the number molded on the form.

View attachment 110729

Much to my surprise these went together really easy. You don't even need any CA if you don't want to use it. The inside of the brass pieces are captured on both sides by the plastic inner hub, and the outer portion is captured between the wheel and a plastic inner ring, or rings for the duels. I'm extremely impressed with Roden's design on the wheels. There are a lot of parts a total of 60 for the 6 wheel assemblies.

View attachment 110730

Next I went to work on the chassis. The rails are separate and there are a lot of little detail pieces for the brakes etc. I have somewhere around 6 hours of work in this so far not counting the 2 hours I spent on the wheels. I have had two issues with fitment. The drive shaft from the engine to the transmission, and the one from the rear axle housing to the transmission were too long. Both had to be trimmed about 1mm to make things fit. That could be an issue with my building of course but I don't think it was. Other than that everything fit great. Here's where I am rite now on the build.

View attachment 110731

First the plastic seems about as soft as any plastic kit I've ever built. Doesn't seem to be a problem but even assembled it's a little surprising how flexible it is. It does not seem to be causing any problems. On some of the really thin parts it seems to help keep them from snapping in two.

Second thought is there are a lot of parts. The chassis with engine is probably around 100 parts. If that is good or bad is certainly subjective. The detail is great, but if the hood is installed over the engine and the doors behind the turret are closed it's a waste of time. Oddly after all the effort making a nicely detailed engine the hood isn't designed to be mounted open. It'll have to be custom modified to be open. Just a side note; I watched a youtube video of building the Takom version of this and the chassis only has about 20 parts with no engine.

So far I'm happy with this kit. I'm trying to figure out when to paint what. I think I want to do It basically in 3 separate parts. The chassis, the body, and the wheels. Kits with interiors and engines are always a challenge to paint.
I'm inspired to have a go at this kit. Keep posting. Thanks. Pantherman

View attachment 110726

View attachment 110727

View attachment 110728

View attachment 110729

View attachment 110730

View attachment 110731

Second thought is there are a lot of parts. The chassis with engine is probably around 100 parts. If that is good or bad is certainly subjective. The detail is great, but if the hood is installed over the engine and the doors behind the turret are closed it's a waste of time. Oddly after all the effort making a nicely detailed engine the hood isn't designed to be mounted open. It'll have to be custom modified to be open. Just a side note; I watched a youtube video of building the Takom version of this and the chassis only has about 20 parts with no engine.

I am also intrigued by this kit. I may have to add it to my stash

I took a photo from the opposite side so you can see the detail of the exhaust etc.

AA-003-L.jpg

Next step was to build the bed for the back, this portion has 31 parts. This is not glued tot he chassis. I'm still trying to figure out how much of this to assemble before painting. I know I'm going to do the chassis separate from the bed and body but not sure about the running boards and fenders.

AA-006-L.jpg

And a shot of the overall.

AA-005-L.jpg

I took a photo from the opposite side so you can see the detail of the exhaust etc.

View attachment 110821

Next step was to build the bed for the back, this portion has 31 parts. This is not glued tot he chassis. I'm still trying to figure out how much of this to assemble before painting. I know I'm going to do the chassis separate from the bed and body but not sure about the running boards and fenders.

View attachment 110822

And a shot of the overall.

View attachment 110823
I haven’t figured out at what point to paint the hull when doing armor. Maybe PM can help with that. He’s the tank man.

I used to paint everything on the sprue and then scrape and touch up. On tanks like, the T34 in my icon on the left wasn't painted until it was fully assembled except for the tracks and accessories like the cable and saw. I prefer that method on armour usually. The challenge this presents is I want the engine visible and obviously can't paint it after it's all assembled. It's just further complicated by fact that with the front fenders and running boards the body can't be fully assembled without the chassis to tie it all together.

At any rate here is what I decided on. This is all of the parts that make up the entire vehicle. This is the point I decided to paint them.

AA-006-L.jpg

So I put a base coat of a custom mixxed lightned Olive drab color on everything except the top of the turred which is white. I'm happy with the color, it's still maybe a little darker than I wanted but I like it.

AA-007-L.jpg

Of course we always learn what we did wrong as we go along in these builds. In refrence to the spoked wheels. If anyone reading this is planning on building one of these with the spoked wheels I highly recommend painting the brass spoke sections before assembling the tires and hubs. The spokes, particularly in the duels, are really hard to get painted after assembly. Now time to brush paint some details.

Well I definately should have painted the wheel spokes separate from the tires. I started hand painting the ttires and it was appearant it was going to be a long project. So I took a step back and decided to go a different direction. I have a vinyl cutter, so I decided to make some masks by cutting some 18.5mm circles from some extra vinyl I have. I bought a pack with about 100 different colors of vynyl sheets a couple years ago so purple wasq on top and I used it. Here's the wheels masked.

AA-020-L.jpg

The masks didn't fit the fronts great but good enough it didn't require too much cleanup, here is my final result. I did a lot of research and the early Rolls Royces did have white tires not just white side walls. Ford and Cadillac also used all white tires in the beginning. I even found one picture of a 1914 pattern with one white walled black tread tire on the front and all white tires everywhere else.

AA-021-L.jpg

After that I went to work just painting little details here and there. This photo shows all the parts that had different colors on the detail parts.

AA-023-L.jpg

The run on the right front fender is really interest, you have to hold it at exactly the right angle to see it. I think it is where I wiped the drip off and repainted it because there is no raised portion jusr the shiny line you can see in the photo when the light hits it just right. I did not do anything for the interior of the cab as I'm not going to open it up so it won't be seen.

One other notable thing is I didn't have any rust colored paint so I used a method I had done before on the exhaust pipe. I painted the pipe a dark brown and immediately while it was still very wet applied some vallejo rust colored pigment. Then took a junk brush and basically mixxed the pigment and paint rite on the surfeace. I really like this effect but it does make it look older than I was really intending it too. I might adjust my other weathering to be more extreme because of the exhaust.

Would also note that I would have fixed the seam on the gas tank if this was for a contest instead of just for fun.
Here's all of the parts ready to start combining together.

AA-022-XL.jpg

Well I definately should have painted the wheel spokes separate from the tires. I started hand painting the ttires and it was appearant it was going to be a long project. So I took a step back and decided to go a different direction. I have a vinyl cutter, so I decided to make some masks by cutting some 18.5mm circles from some extra vinyl I have. I bought a pack with about 100 different colors of vynyl sheets a couple years ago so purple wasq on top and I used it. Here's the wheels masked.

View attachment 110923

The masks didn't fit the fronts great but good enough it didn't require too much cleanup, here is my final result. I did a lot of research and the early Rolls Royces did have white tires not just white side walls. Ford and Cadillac also used all white tires in the beginning. I even found one picture of a 1914 pattern with one white walled black tread tire on the front and all white tires everywhere else.

View attachment 110924

After that I went to work just painting little details here and there. This photo shows all the parts that had different colors on the detail parts.

View attachment 110925

The run on the right front fender is really interest, you have to hold it at exactly the right angle to see it. I think it is where I wiped the drip off and repainted it because there is no raised portion jusr the shiny line you can see in the photo when the light hits it just right. I did not do anything for the interior of the cab as I'm not going to open it up so it won't be seen.

One other notable thing is I didn't have any rust colored paint so I used a method I had done before on the exhaust pipe. I painted the pipe a dark brown and immediately while it was still very wet applied some vallejo rust colored pigment. Then took a junk brush and basically mixxed the pigment and paint rite on the surfeace. I really like this effect but it does make it look older than I was really intending it too. I might adjust my other weathering to be more extreme because of the exhaust.

Would also note that I would have fixed the seam on the gas tank if this was for a contest instead of just for fun.
Here's all of the parts ready to start combining together.

View attachment 110926
Looking good. Pantherman

Looking great, Pantherman! To go back to your first post, I see that the wheel forms and the instructions disagree about which brass part go with which forms. Which is correct?

Michael

I thought you meant that there was a number on the plastic form part but it isn't the same as the number on the brass parts. How did you match them up?
Sorry, I'm not building this one, just commenting on it. If you go to the start of the thread it's all there. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back