Hobby Boss German Pz.Kpfw.II Ausf.J (VK16.01)

Looks nice T, is that an authentic camo scheme or is it just a pigment of your imagination... ( I crack myself up ) ;D

JohnSimmons said:
Most excellent mate :)

Thank you John!!! ;)
rookie said:
Looks nice T, is that an authentic camo scheme or is it just a pigment of your imagination... ( I crack myself up ) ;D

Thanks Rook!! LOL...He made a funny!! ;D ;D Well, I can say that the scheme of Gelbbraun over Dunkelgelb was used in invasion of Russia. As for the layout it follows a scheme I found and I rolled with this would have been field applied so anything is almost possible as long as it fit into the guidelines of the command...LOL!! So with that, this is what I came up with!! ::)

bdr65 said:
Cool lookin build :) Great review on this kit as well TRM

Thank you Sir! Appreciate you checking out the review as well! Just an all around fun kit to work on!!

Big-John said:
Looking most excellent bro!

Thank BJ...Appreciate it!! ;)

I have to ask----what's your thinking behind all the layers of primer and paint? I would think that at least one of those layers is redundant and unnecessary.?

The final camo paint looks tremendous, ;D but I'm not getting why you would have done all that undercoating if you weren't going to do some kind of hairspray method of chipping with it? I believe that you're just throwing away money using up paint, and covering up tiny details in unnecessary layers. What am I missing? ???

the doog said:
I have to ask----what's your thinking behind all the layers of primer and paint? I would think that at least one of those layers is redundant and unnecessary.?

The final camo paint looks tremendous, ;D but I'm not getting why you would have done all that undercoating if you weren't going to do some kind of hairspray method of chipping with it? I believe that you're just throwing away money using up paint, and covering up tiny details in unnecessary layers. What am I missing? ???

Hi Doog!! First, thanks for the kind words on the camo!! ;D

Onto the "other" stuff!! I actually only needed the mono-tone oxide color per se...the shading was going one set further whether it was needed or not...kind of like painting the engine on a car model and the hood is getting closed..."you know it's there". Since I painted the Dunkelgrau in very thin coats make sure to go even lighter near the joint and welds I was able to leave a hint of the oxide that show ever so subtlety. Paint jobs on these could have been thinned down at this time period and there could be the hint of the primer base there…more evident in the tanks with Dunkelgelb than the grau but still there. Same applied with the Gelbbraun on top…some of the evidence is still there. Just adding a point of interest to the piece.

Nothing really gets covered at all as the layers I put on are thin. I don’t lose any details and because they are thin not too much paint. I think I painted the whole grey section with 10-12 drops of paint….thinner lets me get more bang for the buck!!
;D

T, thanks for the explanation, and for not taking my question with umbrage. ;D I use heavy pre-shading and post-shading as well, but normally I don't put down sub-layers beneath the primer. I like where you're going with this build--I"ll be interested in seeing what you ultimately do with it. :D

the doog said:
T, thanks for the explanation, and for not taking my question with umbrage. ;D I use heavy pre-shading and post-shading as well, but normally I don't put down sub-layers beneath the primer. I like where you're going with this build--I"ll be interested in seeing what you ultimately do with it. :D

LOL...thank you, for hanging in there on this one! I like to try things from time to time...keeps thing interesting. Not everything works but that is good too! The more depth I can get on what I am doing the better!! ;)
I should have an update soon on it! I needed to finish some things th past couple days so she has been patient and just sitting next to me at the table!! ;D

OK...again with the tiny updates..but it is, what it is!! :)

Here she is with some legs on here....

020_zpsb9cbde1e.jpg

026_zps814207d1.jpg

There was a quick wash in there somewhere....onto figuring out she will lie. Was thinking this....

029_zpsc91d1499.jpg

Nothing too over the top...simple and sweet for the short and small!!

Thanks for playing along for a bit!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Not sure, but maybe you could turn it around and have it going down hill? ;)

Looks like a winner to me dude!

Thanks Adam!! Was going with the show of struggling up hill instead of running away downhill... :p Tell ya what, I will leave it loose and if I bring it to AMPS with me for the table, I will turn it around for ya!! 8) Lets see what it looks like with some "stuff" on there foist! ;)

It is a tiny little thing. If I was stuck in one of those I would spend a lot more time running away too! haha

LOL...yeah they are a bit of a death-trap!! Can't see the 2cm doing to much to a charging T-34 or even a BT-7 for that matter...reconnaissance mainly but they still got into the mix with them!! ::)

Thanks John!! Might upscale the base in size to make room for a fig or two....might be interesting!! ::)

Latest posts

Back