Hello from Indiana

keith41

Hello all. I'm getting back into modeling. I'm going to have some beginner questions, and I don't want to be "that guy" that posts questions in the wrong area. Is there a beginner forum?

If not, here a first question regarding painting plastic miniatures:

My first project is 5 WW2 German Infantrymen (Tamiya, 1:35). I'm taking it slow, and am using this as a "test run" (trying my best, but knowing I'll make mistakes).

Is it advisable to do the painting on the sprue, or glue most of the figure (excluding equipment) then paint?

Any advice is appreciated.

-Keith

Hello from across the border and welcome to SMA!

While not really a beginner forum, if you scroll down you'll see the "TIPS, TECHNIQUES & TRICKS OF THE TRADE" forum where you can ask any questions you have and look at some of the questions and answers others had.

Some people do painting on the sprue, but I find it easier to assemble most parts of a similar color and then paint them. Leaving parts on the sprue can make cleaning mold seams difficult and you won't know if there are any gaps between joints before painting. Paint will also have to be removed from any contact points if you are using plastic cement, because plastic cement works by melting and fusing the plastic together. I don't build many figures, but when I do I usually assemble them first so that I can take care of gaps between parts and then paint. You can drill a small hole in the feet, or rear if sitting, and then insert a toothpick, skewer, etc. to hold them for painting. Equipment can be painted separately and then attached. However, I will do any kind of weathering when everything is attached so that everything blends nicely.

Latest posts

Back