Hello from Hogansville, GA.!!

Jeffro 50

My Son (15yrs old) , and I are just getting into the hobby. We're interested in Scale Model aircraft builds for the time being. I'd like to get some input on what tools to start out with, magnifying lamps/lighting, workbench setup, etc. THANKS in advance for your help !

We bought a pair of sprue cutters a couple weeks ago. Looking to buy some sanding sticks or would small files be better? We will be building a Revell F4U Corsair. I built some plastic models and R/C planes growing up. But it's been a LONG time since I've built anything. Thanks for reaching out!

Sprue cutters are great for removing each part .
A hobby knife ( Xacto ) for part cleanup .
Either files or sanding sticks will work . You don't need to buy hi-end tools , nail files will usually work fine .

Might need some tweezers but you should be able to get thru most kits without them unless it has PE ( photoetch ) parts .

Glue ?
I recommend the thin solvent cements applied via capillary action .
Tamiya Extra Thin as example .
Just hold the parts together and apply a small amount of solvent cement to the joint .

Primer assemblies after assembly prior to paint .
I assume you're going to be using rattle-cans and brush applied paints ?
Or are you acquiring an airbrush ?

Lighting and magnification devices are builder dependent .
I get by 95% of the time using just my dime-store readers but sometimes a more powerful mag-visor or other magnifying glass is necessary .

I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch -- I'm only on my first cup of coffee .
Ask away .

You can order different grits of emery boards from Amazon. I also will buy sheets of good sandpaper at the hardware store, cut them into strips, and glue them to paint sticks- but don't forget to write the grit number on them.

Also, An airbrush will make (in my opinion) the single biggest improvement in your game. It doesn't have to be an expensive one... I have an old Paasche single-action that I've used forever. The compressor is an investment, but a real airbrush compressor (with a tank, regulator and moisture trap) is quiet and pleasant to use.

One of my side hobbies is trying to get good finishes with craft paints, like Delta Ceramcoat. It's a little more work, but it's possible. Real model paint usually gives a nicer finish, though.

I'm in GA also, it's a shame that there aren't any real hobby shops here- at least not in coastal GA. I used to love going to a good hobby shop!

Have fun!

Sprue cutters are great for removing each part . A hobby knife ( Xacto ) for part cleanup . Either files or sanding sticks will work . You don't need to buy hi-end tools , nail files will usually work fine . Might need some tweezers but you should be able to get thru most kits without them unless it has PE ( photoetch ) parts . Glue ? I recommend the thin solvent cements applied via capillary action . Tamiya Extra Thin as example . Just hold the parts together and apply a small amount of solvent cement to the joint . Primer assemblies after assembly prior to paint . I assume you're going to be using rattle-cans and brush applied paints ? Or are you acquiring an airbrush ? Lighting and magnification devices are builder dependent . I get by 95% of the time using just my dime-store readers but sometimes a more powerful mag-visor or other magnifying glass is necessary . I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch -- I'm only on my first cup of coffee . Ask away . Sprue cutters are great for removing each part . A hobby knife ( Xacto ) for part cleanup . Either files or sanding sticks will work . You don't need to buy hi-end tools , nail files will usually work fine . Might need some tweezers but you should be able to get thru most kits without them unless it has PE ( photoetch ) parts . Glue ? I recommend the thin solvent cements applied via capillary action . Tamiya Extra Thin as example . Just hold the parts together and apply a small amount of solvent cement to the joint . Primer assemblies after assembly prior to paint . I assume you're going to be using rattle-cans and brush applied paints ? Or are you acquiring an airbrush ? Lighting and magnification devices are builder dependent . I get by 95% of the time using just my dime-store readers but sometimes a more powerful mag-visor or other magnifying glass is necessary . I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch -- I'm only on my first cup of coffee . Ask away .
Sprue cutters are great for removing each part .
A hobby knife ( Xacto ) for part cleanup .
Either files or sanding sticks will work . You don't need to buy hi-end tools , nail files will usually work fine .

Might need some tweezers but you should be able to get thru most kits without them unless it has PE ( photoetch ) parts .

Glue ?
I recommend the thin solvent cements applied via capillary action .
Tamiya Extra Thin as example .
Just hold the parts together and apply a small amount of solvent cement to the joint .

Primer assemblies after assembly prior to paint .
I assume you're going to be using rattle-cans and brush applied paints ?
Or are you acquiring an airbrush ?

Lighting and magnification devices are builder dependent .
I get by 95% of the time using just my dime-store readers but sometimes a more powerful mag-visor or other magnifying glass is necessary .

I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch -- I'm only on my first cup of coffee .
Ask away .
Thanks for the info. urumomo! I appreciate you taking the time to get back with me.
We will definitely get some tweezers. Also will invest in some extra thin cement to get started on the right foot! Yes we will start out with rattle cans for now, (Will see how it goes and invest in an airbrush later on). I have an Xacto knife from earlier modeling days. THANKS again for your help. I'll be sure to reach out to you from time to time with questions that may arise. Enjoy your day! Be safe!!

Also, An airbrush will make (in my opinion) the single biggest improvement in your game. It doesn't have to be an expensive one... I have an old Paasche single-action that I've used forever. The compressor is an investment, but a real airbrush compressor (with a tank, regulator and moisture trap) is quiet and pleasant to use.

One of my side hobbies is trying to get good finishes with craft paints, like Delta Ceramcoat. It's a little more work, but it's possible. Real model paint usually gives a nicer finish, though.

I'm in GA also, it's a shame that there aren't any real hobby shops here- at least not in coastal GA. I used to love going to a good hobby shop!

Have fun!
Thanks for the encouragement, info. and support BGS!! We are on the south end of Atlanta, and hobby shops are a drive for us as well. Have a Great Day and THANKS for taking the time to get back with me!!

My Son (15yrs old) , and I are just getting into the hobby. We're interested in Scale Model aircraft builds for the time being. I'd like to get some input on what tools to start out with, magnifying lamps/lighting, workbench setup, etc. THANKS in advance for your help !
Hi and welcome to the forum, loads of advice and help here so just ask and I'm sure someone will have the answer.

Not been modeling for long myself but have learnt alot here. Very friendly members.

I just bought really cheap stuff to start with and found after a while which stuff I really used alot, then bought a slightly better version.

Would recommend a cheap airbrush as gives a nice finish, practice with it and if you like using it maybe get a better one later.

Post plenty of photos of your builds and especially if asking a question about your build. Pantherman

THANKS for the welcome and info Pantherman! Points well taken. I look forward to getting into this with my Son and building some interesting projects in the future. There's a lot of neat kits out there. And the history of the subject matter is fascinating as well! Looking forward to meeting more of the members here also. Thanks again!

Welcome to the hobby and to the Herd, to you and your son!
I can't add much, you've got the basics covered, but I look forward to seeing your builds.
Best regards,
Brad

Thanks Brad for the welcome! We appreciate the hospitality we're receiving . Glad to have found the forum!! looking forward to getting set up/build soon. I look forward to getting tips and suggestions from everyone to help our builds progressively get better and better. Best Regards

Welcome!!!! Lots of great info here, dig into older threads for suggestions and solutions, or, just ask!!

Keep in mind:
Some kits you build, some build you:)

Thanks D.T. !! We are getting work table, tools etc. Gathered to start building the Corsair. I'm excited about building and learning new skills. But most of all doing it with my Son. Life gets so hectic these days and I don't get to spend quality time with him the way that I need to. Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate y'alls help and hospitality here on the forum!

Time spent and how it's spent is crucial. When we shove off this big blue ball we want to make sure we are remembered well.

Yes Sir! No doubt about that. Trying to do my best. Thanks for the pearls of wisdom, D.T. !! Have a great rest of your weekend

One of the most important things for you to get is a good paint booth like this one. I got it on Amazon
Here are some pictures of my work bench it may give you some ideas on how to set up your bench 20230910_073438.jpg20230910_073444.jpg20230910_073616.jpg

One of the most important things for you to get is a good paint booth like this one. I got it on Amazon

Latest posts

Back