Have my videos improved?

so have you seen any improvement in my videos?

• Yes! A lot!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • yea.... a little.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No improvement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like Chicken! :D

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No they are worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i cant tell, i need to watch more of them...

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

13aceofspades13

lets kick some tires and lights some fires!
have you guys noticed any improvements in my videos... lately i have been using this cool new camera john gave me, so what do you guys think, are they any better? please feel free to comment or leave suggestions.

One thing you may want to consider, Dan, is using some vocal descriptions in your videos, rather than relying totally on the pictures to tell the story.
Your shooting has definitely improved, though

Quaralane said:
One thing you may want to consider, Dan, is using some vocal descriptions in your videos, rather than relying totally on the pictures to tell the story.
Your shooting has definitely improved, though

in my newest videos, i am describing the model buy talking about it, unless im missing something... ???

thanks for the imput ;D

Must have missed it in the first couple I watched.
Took me until now to realize that the first minute or so is just the intro

Quaralane said:
Must have missed it in the first couple I watched.
Took me until now to realize that the first minute or so is just the intro

yep... XD the beginning is just the intro.

If you really want to improve, go watch a few model videos from these people:

Scott, He got a lot of viewers for a reason. Examine how he talks to the camera, and how he explains things.

Scale model mad man: He doesn't have a lot of videos, but what he does have up is quality

Dreamknight: Look at how he interacts with the camera. It is like he is talking to a friend.

terrainoob‬‏: Again he is talking to the camera like it is his friend, especially in the earlier videos

And last of all:

hobbylink‬‏ : They are very professional with their videos. I think that they have a camera man to take them.

The next few things you should do is get a tripod. That camera is not heavy so you don't need an expensive one. You can find a good one for under $30. I have three of them, one was cheap, but it works great for a light weight camera. Since you are taking video, try to find one with handles on it, instead of knobs. Kind of like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Concepts-TR-60N-Camera-Carrying/dp/B000093UDQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1298353375&sr=1-3

It will make it easier to work with for adjusting your cameras position. Knobs are more for still images.

Second, good video editing software. You don't have to spend a lot here. The software I use cost me $60 on Amazon.com. This is the software I am using and it is on sale for $30, with free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Corel-VSPRX3ENMB-VideoStudio-Pro-X3/dp/B002J9PO2E/ref=sr_1_6?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1298353446&sr=1-6

And last of all, good lighting helps. This is one thing I need to fix with my videos.

May look into that software myself, Grendels.
Thanks for posting that advice. Lord knows I can use it, too

Corel's customer support is great!! I had an issue with the program crashing, and contacted them. Talked with someone on the phone to work out the issue. It turns out that the icore 7 processor does a few things that the program doesn't like. They helped me fix it so that the software works on my computer.

And for that price it is hard to go wrong, the only thing I can think of is that there is a new version coming out soon.

these are great vids. 13 aces i liked the history and the pictures of some of those planes. but i would go easy on the coffee before taping i felt like i was in one of those planes during a dog fight ;D And quaralane can you turn your volume up i had mine up to max and still could not hear all you were saying. and grendals i seen you had mr surfacer how do you use that. GENTLEMEN these are great vids and i have added them to my reference files they were great look forward to more

Mr. Surfacer is kind of a fine filler. First I fill the seam with putty, sand it smooth. But sometimes putty just can't fill the small areas, or fine cracks so I hit those with Mr. Surfacer. That will fill in those small areas. It is really just like a thick paint, that you can sand really easily.

Dan, I agree with Grendels comments about about tripod and lighting. If you can afford it get a tripod, it will last for years and years (if you don't play hockey with it) and will instantly improve your videos. Lightng is key too (I'm working that out on my videos too). Ken used GE Reveal bulbs for his still photos and they are what I'm looking into for video lighting....

With a tripod you can still get some 'moves' in your video. Try setting up the models you want to show us and then panning the camera on the tripod. Nice and smooth. Then you could video tape your voice over separately and combine the two in software.

Whether you want to video yourself talking or not - like as am intro - is up to you. It does ad something to videos when we can see who's talking, for sure. Don't forget, you're basically talking to us - when I make my videos the camera is you, and John, and Ken, and Chung and .....you get the point. I'm just talking to 'us'.

lonewolf said:
And quaralane can you turn your volume up i had mine up to max and still could not hear all you were saying.
Been working on the settings in the last few videos. That, and the mike on the old camera wasn't quite as good as on the new one.
But I'll see what I can do to improve

wow guys, thanks for the tips, i will invest in a tripod, and work on my talking, yea i need to learn to talk like im talking to a person.

Latest posts

Back