Hase F-4B with lots of goodies

ShutterAce

Entry #2...

This will be a first for me with the aftermarket stuff. Still waiting on some burner cans but I can get started.

http://www.shutterace.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1718&fullsize=1

DSCF1859s.jpg

Sweet... look at all the fun in that picture! Some of the best models I've ever seen have been phantoms, for some reason those things just look so freakin' sweet. Can't wait to see this one! Good Luck on the build.

What burner cans did you order? I see you have some quickboost resin there, I've always had great success with them.

Myke said:
What burner cans did you order? I see you have some quickboost resin there, I've always had great success with them.

I haven't ordered them yet because I'm going to be out of town the beginning of next week. I plan on getting the Aires set. This is all new to me. I'm usually an out of the box builder with some small scratch pieces thrown in if needed.

I started cutting parts off the sprues last night and began my attempt at cleaning up the resin cockpit parts. I've spent more time staring at the parts than cleaning them up. It's my first experience with resin and I am unsure how best to proceed. Fell free to advise as you see fit. ;)

I do like the idea of the aftermarket products. I get the impression it helps make the build your own! Will hopefully tackle something like this in the future. Thanks for sharing your progress.

I need to get back to it. I haven't touched it in a week. Been working on other builds. I actually have 7 active builds right now, one of which will be finished tomorrow for a contest tomorrow night. Kind of overwhelming because I usually do one at a time. :eek:

ShutterAce said:
I started cutting parts off the sprues last night and began my attempt at cleaning up the resin cockpit parts. I've spent more time staring at the parts than cleaning them up. It's my first experience with resin and I am unsure how best to proceed. Fell free to advise as you see fit. ;)

Just remember to be patient when cutting them off and handling them. Resin is rather brittle, especially them little pieces. Wash the parts with some dish washing detergent, they almost always have mold release agent on them and primer/paint will not stick to it at all. When washing them make sure you use warm (on the cooler side of warm) water. If you heat that stuff up it WILL start reforming and taking on new shapes, even just slightly, and especially thin parts like canopy frames. It glues on well with some standard CA, and always wear a mask when sanding and cutting parts.

I'm sure you've heard a lot of that before, that's more "resin 101" i guess. The only tips I could give you would be:
1. don't expect anything to fit, especially if it's a cockit tub, or some sort of bay (gear/weapons). If it does fit perfectly, consider this a big WIN and go celebrate. (I've had great success with quickboost)
2. when cleaning the parts, I like to use a stiff paintbrush to clean them with. Just seems the perfect tool for the delicate parts.

Good luck mate!

A bit of an update here. The resin cockpit is all cleaned up and base coated. I just need to detail it out and then this thing should go together quick. I had a BIG win over the weekend. We were in Colorado Springs, CO over the weekend. My oldest son and I made the mandatory hobby shop tour which consists of two Hobbytown's. We weren't expecting much but at the second and larger of the two my boy found this.

es48096a.jpg

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The exact sheet I need for this build!!!

So what? I've been looking for this sheet for at least six months. I want to do the VF-111 CAG bird. Hannant's has it but I didn't want to order just that alone because of the postage.

Anyway, I'm a happy guy!!!

Now I can really get rolling on this one. I can make it. Plenty of time left. ;)

This one probably won't make the contest deadline. That resin cockpit sure slowed me down. I'll still get it done for IPMS Nats in August.

Latest posts

Back