Gundam F-91, resin kit, 1/72

YOULI

That which does not kill us makes us stronger !
I post it here since I don't think the old group builds are readen anymore... :)

You can find the orginal post here
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,6980.0.html

Since I simply really build the kit, it's no big deal actually, but we'll try to resume the build process, shall we ? :)

Here is a resin kit found on Ebay years ago (those were the days when I bought anything I can that was a bargain... Sometimes with genuine GK, some times with recast... Horrible ones...).
It's obviously a recast, badly done, greasy, with bubles and delicate parts to be reshape.
The kit is static, no articulation at all, there is not a lot of parts, and the color scheme is not that complex.

Here is what it's supposed to look like.

Here are the parts I received, with no pictures (Thought there was no instructions pages but found one in another pile of resin parts). That's a recast all right... :(

The details are poor, the panels in the shoulders (what's their purpose anyway ?) will certainly need to be done with plastic card, there is no need to waste time with resin parts full of bubbles, fragiles...

But I think I won't go for this color scheme...

images

More certainly for this kind of colors (I love blue !).

F91-gff-hf.jpg
BlueF91e8c4d76e-s.jpg

It should be original, and the less I work with white paint, the better ! :)
The kit is with me in the south of France so, I but the parts in soapy water, again, and began the painting phase since most of the preparation was already done (the mold lines were horrible).

After washing the parts again, I give them a good dark coat of Citadel base color. It's shiny when done...

... It's matt when dry.

Then some paint in white... 2 or 3 coats more when needed.

Some details are painted silver and steel on the legs, torso and arms.

It's not white everywhere and I'm OK with that. The purpose is to see more efficiently the details. Some white panels will be painted correctly later.

The front of the back weapons is horrible. This will be difficult to cut without doing some intensive resculpt work.

This details on the neck part are not details bu resin parts from the molding. Without the proper tools this kinda thing is difficult to be rid off.

I immediatly paint in blue the parts that need to be in blue with Revell Aqua Color. I used the document I posted above. I paint carefully in order to save some surface in white.

The shoulder, for example, are painted extra carefully, to save the F-91 marking in white.

The torso has also a white surface saved for later. I will paint all that in yellow eventually. The abdominals are painted dark grey.

The legs are painted blue, and some parts are saved in white, including some details and future markings.

Same treatment for the head. The white parts will be painted in different teint of blue, or red or green...

Same thing for the arms and so on...

All in all a good start, better than the colors in the movie IMHO. And it didn't take long to do... a couple of hours...

After that I worked on it a lot, forgeting to take pictures for the WIP. I'm really sorry, I was very busy and wanted to resume the work... And I'm building several kits in the same time (VF-1J, Rancor, Alien ID4 and this Gundam). :)

Some teaser for the things to come... :)

DSC05819_zps41cca34c.jpg

The focus is bad but it will allow you to understand the purpose to paint white before painting yellow, red or green. It's easy and it's more efficient than 4 or 5 coat of this colors.

Some yellow on the chest. I later painted other yellow pattern, as straight as possible...

Same treatment fort the head, chin and red diamond on the head, green for the eyes and sensors, the white make it easier to do in transparency. It's more vivid this way.

This minuscule detail is painted red. It add details in various colors that will be more appealing with the decals and dry transfer I will provide (some general markings).

The same way, the triangular markings are painted yellow and the little triangle red.

There is no V-fin. The instruction provide some drawing to cut some in some plastic card I think. I began like so, on a plastic card and some scissors, but eventually found appealing to cut the V-fin in brass metal since it's thinner, and somewhat less fragile. Once cut, an end is bend to provide a surface to glue on the resin head.

The V-fin cut in some brass metal, and painted white.

Detail and chat about my cat : to avoid him to lap in my water used for the paints, I cover the recipient with another one. It's always covered so my cat won't be able to drink it.

Checking the general look with all the parts. Looks good to me.

Here is the result with the V-fin, the big ones in metal, the little ones in plastic. Neat isn't it ?

Let's see my improvised workbench, on my bedroom. The fact is that the weather was so bad it was rather difficult to stay in some of the rooms in my new big house. And I can't heat all of them for the moment. But soon I'll be able to work on a new workbench, at my "bureau" with a new table and even a new carpet (help to keep the warm).

I finally glued together all the parts, even though I wanted to add the decals before that.

Took shots in a bright daylight, the sun revealed some flaws here and there...

More as soon as I'll have time to deal with Photobucket.
Next phase, more paint, decals, weathering and eventually a coat of good old varnish. :)

Hey Youli ,
I just got caught up on this -- that's come out beautifully .
Some really great shots ,, pic #10 is my favorite :)
Keith

Amazing work on that model YOULI! Love the painting on the hands.

By the way, is your signature true?

Thanks !

The last picture is from a Parisian Exhibition, JAPAN EXPO, from last week.

And, yeah, i've got a looooooooot of models... 1/3 built so far. In fact I've made a list on Excell of every models I have to know what I've got. And My listing enlist everything but the RPG models (Lord of the rings, WHK), including conversion kits, some option parts, very little model kits so sometimes ONE model kit built include conversion kits, option parts and stuff... It's even more complicated since I scratch a lot lately to obtain some very original models (Dart Wraith, Ulysses's Trident made out from plastic forks and spoons :) ).
And you have to know I began very young, at age 9, with a lot of Matchbox and airfix kits, Dinosaurs, space ships, tanks, cars, figures... You name it. So you have a perfect explanation about the number of models I claim to have, and to have done, so far... :D

Latest posts

Back