Atlantis Space Missile Kit

Ok. Thank you. I’m sorry that I misread your post.

Not that this is an excuse, but I’ve been torn to shreds on other sites for ridiculous reasons, just bring up Hobby Lobby once and people start calling you racist and rooting for your demise. Such instances happen on the internet everyday, and it’s a social problem that I’m probably way too sensitive about.

So, I’m sorry Tim. Please, try not to hold this against me.

Ok. Thank you. I’m sorry that I misread your post.

Not that this is an excuse, but I’ve been torn to shreds on other sites for ridiculous reasons, just bring up Hobby Lobby once and people start calling you racist and rooting for your demise. Such instances happen on the internet everyday, and it’s a social problem that I’m probably way too sensitive about.

So, I’m sorry Tim. Please, try not to hold this against me.
Thanks for your response.
We all are here to enjoy our hobby of building scale models. We also share our experiences so others can learn different techniques and maybe not make the same mistakes.
Anyway, welcome the the madness. Share your builds with plenty of pictures.
Any questions have either been answered some where on the boards or can be answered by someone here. :cool:

Wow, this got long. I don’t have much to update on. It was a busy week and I got hammered at work. I like to look for builds done by other modelers on projects I’m close to starting, with this one I am coming up dry. Apparently not a hugely popular kit given it’s aged subject matter, the SaturnV isn’t even represented, which really dates the OG kit. I picked this info up from https://www.hyperscale.com/2023/reviews/kits/atlantism6871reviewcs_1.htm

Starting in the late 1950s model companies started releasing "sets" of kits or models that were based on a common theme – a leitmotiv for a specific genre. Monogram did two big ones then – a set of 1/128 scale US missiles labeled as the "U.S. Missile Arsenal" and a year later the famous 1/240 scale set of 18 USAF aircraft of the late 1950s. In 1969 they redid the first one as the "U.S. Space Missiles" set with a number of additions and deletions, and finally in the 1980s they did a 1/144 set of 22 US and Soviet missiles as a set. While the first two and the update were popular, the latter one was kind of a dud as all of the missiles were essentially cylindrical tubes that were hard to tell apart and not very appealing.

The original set consisted of 31 different missiles and covered the following subjects: Atlas; BOMARC; Bullpup; Corporal; Dart; Falcon; Genie; Hawk; Honest John; Jupiter; Jupiter C; Lacrosse; Little John; Matador; Nike Ajax; Nike Hercules; Petrel; Polaris; Rascal; RAT; Redstone; Regulus II; Sergeant; Sidwinder; Snark; Sparrow; Talos; Terrier; Thor; and Vanguard.

atlantismissilesreviewcs_2.jpg

The revised set dropped the Jupiter C, Matador, Regulus II, Snark, and Vanguard, and in their place they added ASROC, Hound Dog, Lance, Minuteman II, Pershing, Phoenix, Poseidon, Spartan, SUBROC, and Titan II. Ironically, while the first set had included space launch vehicles the new one only included combat weapons!

The 36 missiles in the kit all consist of one to five parts to represent the specific missile type and come in white plastic (I think the original ones were in silver as some of them were also offered in small sets of five missiles on their own). Details are somewhat subdued or missing on each missile, partially due to scale and partially due to not having access to detailed blueprints (they were all operational weapons or weapons prototypes in the 1950s and the updated ones got the same treatment). Painting directions also cover only what was observed in press releases so many missiles still have names and photo-op markings on them.

But the biggest problem is that many of these missiles – even in the updated set – either never entered production or had very short service lives. The result is that it is more of a snapshot in history than an actual representation of weapons in service.

The model comes with a nice sturdy base with raised lettering to identify each missile as well as two figures in 1/128 scale, one holding a convenient size gauge to give an idea of the size of the missiles. The bottom of the box is also given a lithographed "space" background for the model. Note that all models come with pegs to mount them to the base.

I have come close to ordering that kit on more than one occasion because I worked in both the Titan II and Minuteman II missile systems. Titan missiles at Little Rock AFB and after going through the shut down of the Titan missile system at LRAFB in the 80's it was off to Malmstrom AFB and the Minuteman missiles. Enjoy the build.

Any admin, @Pantherman, or anyone. Can we please close this thread? Not to hide or misrepresent any exchanges, but just to get back to normal modeling subjects? I feel like this thread could devolve. I will post to a new thread when I can for the sake of our combined hobby. Just, this thread got off-topic and that was 100% my own fault. Please delete this entire thread, and let’s all start over.

That is a Monogram kit that I first built in 1970. I started one of the Atlantis ones last year but lost interest in it once I had most of the missiles painted. BTW, build and paint your models however you want, but the painting instructions for some of the missiles are inaccurate. The Atlas, for example, is mostly stainless steel, bright and shiny, with the first stage (the lower part of the rocket) being a flat aluminum. Only the non-flying mockup was ever painted as they show.

Have fun and post pictures, please! I have an airbrush, but the pain of cleaning it causes me to let it accumulate dust and use rattle cans instead.

Larry

"Space Missiles" is a misnomer. These are mostly rocket-powered weapons used by the four military forces in the US. Only the Atlas, Titan II, Redstone, and Thor were used to launch stuff into space. I'd love to see it updated to include current hardware.

Larry

I’m fully paused on this build…I needed a break. I’ve been working on something different, and I’ll post a new thread for that when I’m ready to.

I fell in a trap where I felt like I had to be working on something, completely forgetting that modeling is a hobby, and meant to be enjoyed when it can fit the schedule, which isn’t everyday. To quote the Good Neighbah Governah “I’ll be back.”

Latest posts

Back