Grendels lighting advice and tutorials

mercs32118

Simon "Papa Smurf" Mercs in the Studio
Hey SMA folks! A warm greeting from myself, and all the Smurfs! The Enterprise E project currently on the Workbench, has pretty much snagged every waking moment for now, but not forever.

I really like this forum, and there is a lot of excellent talent here. I am constantly being asked for lighting tips, from visitors to my website, so many, I can't answer them all. Well........ I thought it would be nice, to have a place where I can post many of these methods, to add simple lighting to your model. I hope some of you will join me for that.

I'm going to start some simple "lessons" for you guys, some easy, and effective methods of lighting that will really accent your projects. We'll start with some basic stuff, 3 Volt systems that don't require resistors. Simple switch configurations. Some of you probably know a lot already, so this is more for builders that are interested, but don't exactly know how to begin. I always find that lighting in a model really makes it have an extra "Ooomph!"

Even in Military, or Aircraft, those little lighted extras really add to the entire display.

As we get more familiar with these basic concepts, we'll go into fiber optics, LED variety sequencing, "Matrix" effects, and so on........

Perhaps, even, do I dare say it?.......LASERS! Muhahahaha............... 8)

These updates will be done with safety in mind, especially if were dealing with household current systems, (120 V), you gotta be cool with this stuff. But most will be affordable, so 3 to 9 volt systems will cover most of everything I can share.

If your interested in these little lessons, please let me know with a quick post here, Thanks.

Scott has been a great friend to the Kit Factory, I thought I'd do something nice on his website.

Take care all, and have a great weekend! ;D

Re: PAPA SMURF TO START SOME "LIGHTING" HOW-TO'S, IN SEPTEMBER!

AWESOME! glad to have you here! ;D

Should be interesting

I am definitely open to hearing more-- would love to try adding some smallish lights to one of my planes...

Well that's great, love the enthusiasm guys! I'd like to see a few more people show some interest, but it's the weekend, kids are heading back to school, and the contest is on everybody's priority list, so let's see if anybody responds next week.

I'm looking for about 10 members to join our little "cyber-classroom". I think it would be nice to have some chat going on during a pre-set time, something interactive would be interesting! I can answer some questions, maybe do a video thing, we'll see. I'm just sort of pondering this right now, so suggestions are highly welcome guys.

I'm not saying "I Know It All", far from it, but I do have some simple techniques to impart in this area, stuff that really applies to models and dioramas. I know what I need to know, to do the builds you've seen on my website. If you haven't seen the work I do, please visit www.simonmercs.biz to get an idea of what is possible with some lighting goodies.

I want this to be a fun experience for anyone interested, please let me know your thoughts on how to get it "fine-tuned", hints on what chat program we should use, what's a good time and day for those interested, subjects you really want to go over, and so on..

Have a great weekend! ;D

I would be interested. I took Electronics Engineering in school and circuit theory was drilled into our heads, but that was 10+ years ago, and I am afraid I have forgotten more than I learned from it, but I am sure a refresher would bring it all back.

Elm City Hobbies said:
I would be interested. I took Electronics Engineering in school and circuit theory was drilled into our heads, but that was 10+ years ago, and I am afraid I have forgotten more than I learned from it, but I am sure a refresher would bring it all back.

Jeez! Sounds to me like you should be teaching this, instead of me Dude! I just have electronics assembly training, and computer science schooling. My College degrees were for Graphic, and Commercial Arts. Engineering is wayyyy out of my league! :eek:

What I want to go over is very basic circuits using leds, fiber optic concepts as they apply to modeling, and such. I'm going to stick with 3 volt power ranges, and get into resistors for higher voltages later on.

This is definitely going to be application for models, not theory. It's more "art" than technology. I use technology to enhance this art form. What might interest you, is how the technology your familiar with, is used in modeling applications..I hope!

I welcome you, but I get a feeling this is going to bore you to death. But if a concept I throw in there is something new for you, I'll feel fuzzy all over! ;D

Not boring at all...my schooling for Electronics Engineering was to go on into the aviation field as an Av Tech....and how the course worked, everyone took a common first year, and then chose your "specialty" for your 2nd year. Unfortunately for me, they canceled the Av Tech program about a month before I was supposed to start.

None of the other options were appealing to me, as I am from the school of thought that if I am paying for the education, I am going to take something that interests me, as opposed to just filling a seat for someone's quota, and would be a big waste of money. So I went to work in the alarm industry with the background in electronics, left that and now run my own hobby shop....so not alot of need to use the knowledge of what resistor goes where, and such, and therefore have forgotten probably more than I learned, that and since turning 40...seems like I sometimes forget my name if it wasn't tattooed to the inside of my eyelids! LOL

At one time I could look at a resistor and tell you the resistance by just looking at the colors on it, or figure out a simple Ohms law problem in my head. These days I am apt to mix up Ohms law with E=MC2 so any refresher would be great, and with more than a few kits here that could use some lighting to enhance them, it just means that I might "catch on" a little quicker as the info comes back to me a little faster, but by far no teacher! LOL

Simple circuits would be no problem, just when it gets into figuring out resistance, higher voltage circuits and god forbid adding in timing chips and capacitors, that is where it goes a little fuzzy, without opening one of my boring text books and trying to remember what I am supposed to do.

Great Ent E by the way.....been following the trials and tribulations of it.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Not boring at all...my schooling for Electronics Engineering was to go on into the aviation field as an Av Tech....and how the course worked, everyone took a common first year, and then chose your "specialty" for your 2nd year. Unfortunately for me, they canceled the Av Tech program about a month before I was supposed to start.

None of the other options were appealing to me, as I am from the school of thought that if I am paying for the education, I am going to take something that interests me, as opposed to just filling a seat for someone's quota, and would be a big waste of money. So I went to work in the alarm industry with the background in electronics, left that and now run my own hobby shop....so not alot of need to use the knowledge of what resistor goes where, and such, and therefore have forgotten probably more than I learned, that and since turning 40...seems like I sometimes forget my name if it wasn't tattooed to the inside of my eyelids! LOL

At one time I could look at a resistor and tell you the resistance by just looking at the colors on it, or figure out a simple Ohms law problem in my head. These days I am apt to mix up Ohms law with E=MC2 so any refresher would be great, and with more than a few kits here that could use some lighting to enhance them, it just means that I might "catch on" a little quicker as the info comes back to me a little faster, but by far no teacher! LOL

Simple circuits would be no problem, just when it gets into figuring out resistance, higher voltage circuits and god forbid adding in timing chips and capacitors, that is where it goes a little fuzzy, without opening one of my boring text books and trying to remember what I am supposed to do.

Great Ent E by the way.....been following the trials and tribulations of it.

Wow! You sound a lot like me in my college years. Indeed, I resented the forced curriculum, and after reaching my AS, decided to only take what I felt would be useful, credits be damned! And, like you, I need to break out my old textbooks often, as at 51, the memory begins to get sketchy at best.

I am not going to get into Ohm's law, but the resistance values of the resistors will be covered. As 3 volt systems do not require resistors, I will skip that mathematical doodah altogether at first. I will show which resistors work on common leds, at the 9 volt level however. I really didn't want to bore the guys with "math stuff", just the application, and simple shortcuts, as in "This is the one you use".

I would welcome you as another "instructor" however, if your up to it, you can explain the finer points of how I reached the value of the resistors that work each, and every time, for this voltage. But no pressure Dude!

I'd say you will catch on a tad quicker than most, heck, you have a stronger background in the field. I simply learned enough to build props and models in media, and then as an artist in my studio. It kills me when people ask me to fix their stereo or old vcr!!

As far as timing chips, capacitors and that lot, in my field, you have "techs" for that. I employ several outside sources, to provide me with certain circuits, that are not built "In House". I simply don't have the time to do everything. I've spent over 2100 hours on the Enterprise E, that's just prep, assembly, structural fittings, early paint applications, and now, final detailing. However, I do send schematics (simple stuff) and basic info. like power outputs, capabilities, and the lot, to the techs, to make it as I need it. You can't ask for it, if you can't describe it!

This is strictly the "very simple nuts and bolts", to get the guys (and maybe girls), there are a few, to get started on lighting their kits, in a very fun and easy way.

I am so pleased you have been following the E build, very cool! 8)

If you need another instructor, I might be able to do so. It all depends upon timing, I have a small business with about 16 employees and well they keep me pretty busy....

I have a degree in Physics and routinely teach basic circuits. I can explain what Voltage is, and why you care about it in a circuits, as well as resistance and what it does. I can also explain what mA is and why you care.

I am not trying to take over this thread, but I will offer advice if needed. I also understand the math behind these circuits and I have designed basic timing circuits for model applications. I can explain why capacitors are used for timing and how a couple of basic timing circuits work.

Let me know if you want some help!

:eek:

This'll be just like going back to school! I'm anxious to learn from you all...biology doesn't get all too technical, but if you ever want to know something's taxonomy, I'm your man! ;)

WOW! This is awesome, more than I hoped for! I like to keep it fun and interesting, but to really understand "why" this stuff works, there is some "hard science and math" involved. Most guys my age go screaming down the hallway, if they are told they need to learn something else. By then, the brain rejects even the concept of any "more stuff". Awwright.............just kiddin..well..sort of............... ;D

Let's consider this, a post by me showing simple application. Then, a follow up post, we can call it the "advanced" concept follow-up, for those interested.

Grendel, Oh High Lord of mischievous behavior, we can discuss, via pm or phone, a few preliminary points, so we make sense....somehow, and are "in tune" with what we both post.

I'm thinking late September, possibly mid-October, before the big E is finished, and I get back to a less demanding time schedule.This project looks like it's going to only be a few weeks short of a year, to finish.

BTW: can you post pictures on this forum, or is strictly link? I moderated at IPMS for about a year, and at first you could post images, then they came up with the dreaded, "quota"! Aaaaargh.............Once your limit was reached, it was links only. Well, I can live with that, but images are a lot more fun in my book. IPMS has some great members, but it's a bit too tightly structured (and just a tad "right-wing") now, so I split.

I'm still very much a newbie here, and have not looked around much. Most forum interfaces are pretty much the same, but there are some different things on each one I've been to. I've thought about doing my own forum once or twice, but it's a lot of work, so kudos to Scott and his guys, this is a very well developed one.

It's really great if we can get the "lighting" guys all in one area, and show how easy (sometimes) and effective lighting is in any model display. I now build only lighted models for clients, no one asks for static versions anymore. It's the "eye candy" that really gives the display that "zing" that's so satisfying! :)

Sorry for babbling on, but yes! I would like some other input on this, that's what a forum is all about, interaction, learning from other members, it can really be a very positive thing for all.

So let's keep "brainstorming" here, and make this as cool and new as possible.

Later! ;D

Posting in-line images is fine here, especially if they are being hosted off-site.

And while I have done some lighting, I freely confess to being a rank amateur

Quaralane said:
Posting in-line images is fine here, especially if they are being hosted off-site.

And while I have done some lighting, I freely confess to being a rank amateur

Hey that's great, nearly all my images originate from my website. A few will have to be from my files, when I take pictures of assembly and circuit layouts. I'll keep the image files small. It's just more straightforward to have the text explanation near the image, rather than clicking links. Just my humble opinion.

Well Quaralane, it sounds like you may benefit from this little "experiment", lighting is a lot of fun. And, can make a build or display a lot more interesting. It's going to be beneficial to builders like you, who may have done a little, or even none at all. Once you get some basic concepts, it isn't quite so "scary" ???

I'm sure some builders here are quite proficient already, and may not need this at all.

Well.....back to the "Smurf Cave" for me tomorrow, looking forward to the contest results coming up mid-week. I'll be offline until the weekend, see you all then!

Colonel Shofer said:
Please create a PIC circuit to do this for under a buck - TY ;) ...

Landing Pad (Part 2)
http://colshofer.blogspot.com/2011/05/killa-quickie.html

Welcome :)

CS

Hey Colonel, thanks for the comment, as it's something I wanted to address eventually. As I said, I don't spend a lot of time on the net during the week, I'm in the studio, and keep my focus on the project. But I have terminals for my personal intranet throughout the house, and keep up to date with what's going on "out there".

Your post brings up an important subject, cost, moola, bucks, dineros, and what's all this stuff about anyways? I'll address this, and sulk back to the "Smurf Cave".

"You get what you pay for", it was true then, it still stands now. I have to be honest, I never really consider cost of materials. As I do projects for anywhere between 1500.00, to 65,000.00, depending on the clients needs, and how freakin' long it's going to take, quality is always the word of the day. On a high end project, materials can be 25-35% of the overall cost, yep, that's a lot of money.
But, even on a low end project, I use the same quality materials. Why? Because it's all about the results, not the few bucks you saved in the process.

If your going to build for another, or a "labor of love" for yourself, why use a cheap, and therefore unreliable item, in it's creation? What's the point? ???

So, my dear friends, I will not be considering cost, however, some of the simpler circuits probably don't cost more than 10 bucks. I read a lot of posts on how to buy dollar store items, that supposedly "do the job". They don't.

Once you seal that puppy up, that 50 cent lighting system is going to fritz out a week later, and the fun is over.......... Dude. :p

I understand that to some builders, on a limited budget, that is a consideration, and as I have larger budgets to work with, it's a bit different from my perspective. On that, I have no argument.

But look at the products promoted on SMA, all very good stuff, and not cheap. I use a lot of these products. In a month, it's easy to spend hundreds, if not, thousands to keep the "good" stuff in stock. But that's the commercial side of this hobby. But if your going to expect the very best results for your time and effort, don't skimp on materials. The end results is what matters. If you can't buy the "best", then buy the next level down, but don't head to the bottom of the heap so fast.

Now this is just my opinion, lot's of people like to spend as little as possible, and that's strictly up to you.

It's a much higher satisfaction level to have used high quality materials, and to see your project reflects this consideration. Use crap, get crap. So if you have to save up a bit before proceeding, do it, it will be a much better experience overall.

I really wanted to stress this, and broke my usual "Radio Silence" during the work week, as it's important you understand this concept before we begin this "How-To" thread.

Thanks for bringing it up Colonel! 8)

Colonel Shofer said:
So ... that's a 'yes' then? ;) ;) ;)

CS

Hahahahahahahahaha! Oh man, you KILL me! Your invited to my next party Dude! LOL! Made my day, superb comeback Colonel, 10 Points! I laughed so hard, my soda came out my nose!

Beautiful Dude, just awesome... :D

Colonel Shofer said:
So ... that's a 'yes' then? ;) ;) ;)

CS

WOW! Just checked out your site, couldn't resist after that joke. Man, you got skill in the lighting dept. Dude!

You gotta help out on this thread! We already know you have a sense of humor, but I really liked your stuff.

Let me know, I want to get all the lighting oriented builders on this, it could be incredible. The "definitive" source for gizmos!

Thanks for the laughs, and consider it. This whole idea is a concept under construction. Not sure how it will eventually develop, but I hope it turns out better than expected. Then all members will really pick up some great ideas to apply to their projects!

What say ye'? ;D

Just a little jovial knockabout my friend.

Are you sure it is me with the lighting? Mine is a metablog, in the main.

I look forward to all that is offered - I am just like that :)

CS

Latest posts

Back