Grendels lighting advice and tutorials

Re: PAPA SMURF TO START SOME "LIGHTING" HOW-TO'S, IN SEPTEMBER!

Colonel Shofer said:
Just a little jovial knockabout my friend.

Are you sure it is me with the lighting? Mine is a metablog, in the main.

I look forward to all that is offered - I am just like that :)

CS

OH! So sorry, I understand, still cool though! No worries, I know a joker when I see a post like that.
No prob, if you just want to see what nutty stuff we come up with, it's all good.

Thanks for the soda snort, hehehe......... ;D

Colonel Shofer said:
Please create a PIC circuit to do this for under a buck - TY ;) ...

Landing Pad (Part 2)
http://colshofer.blogspot.com/2011/05/killa-quickie.html

Welcome :)

CS

If I saw that right, you want the alternate corners to blink. In other words: Top right and bottom left lit up, while bottom right and top left are dark, on the next cycle it reverses: Top left and bottom right are lit, top right and bottom left are dark.

That can be done with a timing chip. They are cheap, and easy to work with. I don't think a couple of timing circuits will go beyond this discussion.

If you did four leds on the outside then four on the inside, you can get them to blink alternately. But more than that you will need a PIC controller. I have zero experience with them. They are next on my electronics adventure.

I was going to discuss them with the upcoming Melinumum falcon build anyhow. I want the control panels to blink in my buildup.

mercs32118 said:
WOW! This is awesome, more than I hoped for! I like to keep it fun and interesting, but to really understand "why" this stuff works, there is some "hard science and math" involved. Most guys my age go screaming down the hallway, if they are told they need to learn something else. By then, the brain rejects even the concept of any "more stuff". Awwright.............just kiddin..well..sort of............... ;D

Let's consider this, a post by me showing simple application. Then, a follow up post, we can call it the "advanced" concept follow-up, for those interested.

Grendel, Oh High Lord of mischievous behavior, we can discuss, via pm or phone, a few preliminary points, so we make sense....somehow, and are "in tune" with what we both post.

I'm thinking late September, possibly mid-October, before the big E is finished, and I get back to a less demanding time schedule.This project looks like it's going to only be a few weeks short of a year, to finish.

I am in for this, but we will have to watch the timing, I will be very busy with work for a two week period then and I won't know my schedule for sure for a week or two.

I started a lighting tutorial in the past, go about half way through with it, and with my busy schedule, it has been hard to pick it back up.

Holy Toledo Batman, the thing's gotta mind of it's own!! Grendel, I'm not ready either, I'm butt deep in work Dude! OK, here's my thought, if the desire to know this stuff is NOW, then anyone can step up, and do a tutorial. Why not?

It's a free country, and everybody has a unique method to share. So, since I'm tied up until Sep/Oct, anyone want to start this thread with their wisdom? I've seen the work posted here, some of you are up to this, but I'm not going to pressure anyone.

Grendel, you can get it going, and then someone else can take over. If this isn't Democracy at work, I don't know what is!!.gosh darn it...........hehe...

As I said, this whole thread is "a work in progress". I've done similar things on other Forums in the past. A "Guess which film" thread I started on IPMS, turned into the most highly visited thread there for a year or so, it was..........unreal! The idea is to get a group of talented individuals, who share similar interests, focused on an idea, or concept. The results can be amazing, but there has to be some "passion" for the subject matter.

This isn't "my thread", it's "every members" thread..can you dig it! "I knew that you could"!

Awwright............let's talk some lighting here!! ;D

@Grendels,

TYVM, not quite (if you watch the 'copter vid) ... it is outer ring of 4 first, then middle ring of 4, then inner ring of 4 ... repeat, outer ring etc.

Of course, I should also like to see how 4 (or more) rings could be done, as well as 3.

Cheers again.

CS

The knowledge I have right now is for only two rings. I know that there are circuits out there that can do three or four rings. I need to figure this out before I build up the 1/350 enterprise refit. I want to do a similar circuit for the shuttle bay.

But right now, I have my hands full with quite a bit of stuff, and no time to research it, order the parts and experiment.

I will do a lighting tutorial for the Falcon build, and I have to start research on that. I need figure out what requires lighting, make a parts list, and then find distributors for the parts list. This has to be done by Monday. I start working again on Monday and will have little time to do something like that after Monday comes.

Grendels said:
The knowledge I have right now is for only two rings. I know that there are circuits out there that can do three or four rings. I need to figure this out before I build up the 1/350 enterprise refit. I want to do a similar circuit for the shuttle bay.

But right now, I have my hands full with quite a bit of stuff, and no time to research it, order the parts and experiment.

I will do a lighting tutorial for the Falcon build, and I have to start research on that. I need figure out what requires lighting, make a parts list, and then find distributors for the parts list. This has to be done by Monday. I start working again on Monday and will have little time to do something like that after Monday comes.

Mmmmmmm....ok, Grendel's busy as well. This was supposed to be an announcement only, not "The" thread. I want to share some stuff with members, but am seriously tied up for a few weeks. Gotta finish the big "E" before I can do this right.....any volunteers?

Doesn't have to be rocket science, any decent lighting technique you can share with the rest of us, will be greatly appreciated!

I'll have stuff ready by late Sept., or early October, I promise that, but anyone here got something to show? Huh?

Anything.......... don't be shy, it's all good..............

Simon, this is a great idea! I'm very interested in any knowledge yourself or anyone else can impart.

I've been struggling with my first flasher circuit (I call it the blinking circuit, 'cos it's a blinking nuisance!).

It has just failed its light test (or did I fail the test?). It was working fine (even made a youtube video I was so proud!), but now the flashers sometimes switch themselves off.

I think it's just a bad connection somewhere, and I think I've found it. Hopefully get it sorted soon, but this thing has been far too much work for me and it has tested my patience.

Anyway, great idea. Go for it! And I'll be following along. ;)

Igard said:
Simon, this is a great idea! I'm very interested in any knowledge yourself or anyone else can impart.

I've been struggling with my first flasher circuit (I call it the blinking circuit, 'cos it's a blinking nuisance!).

It has just failed its light test (or did I fail the test?). It was working fine (even made a youtube video I was so proud!), but now the flashers sometimes switch themselves off.

I think it's just a bad connection somewhere, and I think I've found it. Hopefully get it sorted soon, but this thing has been far too much work for me and it has tested my patience.

Anyway, great idea. Go for it! And I'll be following along. ;)

MMMmmm...just turns off? Sounds like a short circuit, are you soldering the connections? And do you shrink wrap them? Gotta do this, it secures the connection point, and the shrink wrap makes it stronger, and prevents shorts. Any contact from wire to wire will do this, and a bad connection on the little board as well. Before you install a circuit board, check the pos/neg connections at the board, are they secure? If their a bit loose, or don't appear tight, always drop some epoxy on them, create a stronger connection point.

Now, if this isn't it, and I'm 99% sure these tips will solve it, the board may be faulty. There's no cure for this unless you know what to look for. A faulty circuit pattern is really hard to fix. It's usually the timing chip that goes bonkers. If that's the case, sadly, the unit must be replaced.

Good luck on this, and do solder, wire wrapping is completely unreliable! :p

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, all soldered and shrink wrapped. I'm working with 2 different wires. One of them is Bell wire, which is a bit too thick and the other is some stuff I got completely by accident (and free of charge :D), which is very thin and rather brittle. So the thin wire could be the problem. I've located a connection that is a bit on the flimsy side, so I'll re-solder that.

I've also got kind of loose connections on the pos and neg on the board, so I'll stick some epoxy resin on there too.

Sweet! got some ideas now. Thanks v much! ;)

This isn't something I intent to do anytime soon but I do intend to add working nav lights, as well as spinning props, to an aircraft at some point in the future. That would include steady lighting as well as a flashing beacon or two. I'm sure that sounds easy but it's not for me. So, if you get around to it at some point a tutorial like that would help a lot. Thanks!

Igard said:
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, all soldered and shrink wrapped. I'm working with 2 different wires. One of them is Bell wire, which is a bit too thick and the other is some stuff I got completely by accident (and free of charge :D), which is very thin and rather brittle. So the thin wire could be the problem. I've located a connection that is a bit on the flimsy side, so I'll re-solder that.

I've also got kind of loose connections on the pos and neg on the board, so I'll stick some epoxy resin on there too.

Sweet! got some ideas now. Thanks v much! ;)

Hey! Glad it's helping. Yep, it's really just "common sense" stuff. Check the unit, are there any weak points that need fixing? Are the wires nice and strong? Am I using the right solder? Is my voltage correct?
Is the portable Nuclear Accelerator plugged in? Hehehe...last one was a joke...........sort of........he..

This thread isn't actually ongoing yet, but you can consider this the "first" helpful post.

Once I get done with the E, I'll have more time to work on this, take care Dude! 8)

BTW: Where can I get, my very own, Orange Tuque?? (Yes, that's the way it's actually spelled)..

Papa wants one for Winter! :)

ShutterAce said:
This isn't something I intent to do anytime soon but I do intend to add working nav lights, as well as spinning props, to an aircraft at some point in the future. That would include steady lighting as well as a flashing beacon or two. I'm sure that sounds easy but it's not for me. So, if you get around to it at some point a tutorial like that would help a lot. Thanks!

Hi! Well....your in luck! I actually have a new type of LED, and it's a "Beacon", yes,.....isn't technology cool when it ain't blowing up people? :p

I will definitely address this type of lighting. For those wingtip lights, you know, the red and green ones, fiber optics do that really nicely!

Anyways, until I get going on this, you can post requests like this, stuff you really want to see later.

If someone has an answer, feel free to help this fellow out, if not, I will do a little tutorial on Plane lighting later on.

No worries Dude, got y'a covered!! ;D

I can address the blinker circuits if you want. I do have experience with building them from scratch. I will cover this with the MF group build, because I intend to have blinking lights in the cockpit.

As for the little orange cap thingy, Scott sells them in the store.

Grendels said:
I can address the blinker circuits if you want. I do have experience with building them from scratch. I will cover this with the MF group build, because I intend to have blinking lights in the cockpit.

Please do Grendel, you know your stuff, help the guy out!

Aaaaahhh...my very own Orange cap....today is a good day! ;D

Masking Warp engines presently, back to it I go!

Grendels said:

Thanks John, I'll be watching.

I cant wait i want to light up some planes too

I need something like this
1 fix white for cockpit(fiber optic will bring light to the front)
1 blinking white for nav lights(also use FO with clear paint for green red)
2 beacon or strobe (not sure witch one is better suited for WWII fighter) 1 top 1 bottom
planning to use a 110v power supply(i have one with 9v output and one 12v i can use)
I may use electric motor for spinning prop

for a 1/32 or 1/24 P-51D

Now i have done some electronic back in college but can remember a dam thing.

Anyone can suggest a good starter kit i.e Led, resistor, chips, capacitors,fiber optic size so i can play around a bit

Cheers

Neo

Looks like this might be an interesting thread...

I originally set out, almost 15 years ago, to become an electronics engineer. But after putting up with an *biiiiiib* of a boss for a couple of years I left and eventually found myself working towards a Master’s Degree in Computer Science instead.

I’ve been wondering about putting lights in models for a while now. To this end I’ve been tinkering with some old low-watt PSU’s, intending convert one to a dual 5v/12v power supply. Not that difficult to do, actually. But I still need to find a model where it would be worth it...

I don't have time at the moment to address these issues.

Neo, I know how to make the circuits you want. I am going to make a video about those very same circuits very, very soon. It is all a matter of finding the time to sit down and do so. But if you want to get a jump on it, I did a write up of them here:

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,712.0.html

I listed the parts required and how I adjusted the blink rate.

I am going to use one of those circuits in my MF group build so that the cockpit will have a few blinking lights.

Grendels said:
I don't have time at the moment to address these issues.

Neo, I know how to make the circuits you want. I am going to make a video about those very same circuits very, very soon. It is all a matter of finding the time to sit down and do so. But if you want to get a jump on it, I did a write up of them here:

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,712.0.html

I listed the parts required and how I adjusted the blink rate.

I am going to use one of those circuits in my MF group build so that the cockpit will have a few blinking lights.

Whatever information anyone can contribute is appreciated! No worries, all this will be addressed in the very near future!

Aaaaah.......The Future...... :D

Here's something I should mention, while we wait on my slow butt to get this E project done. I think I mentioned it on another thread of mine, but it really belongs here.

Henry Prentiss and I are buds, he runs TSDS.com, he sells very nice decals, you see them at a lot of websites. He contacted me over a year ago, it took that long to get this designed, get all the bugs out, and then fabricated. We brainstormed, I got a headache, but we came up with something very, very cool.

I see a lot of posts here, speak of getting all these components together, and trying to build this stuff from scratch. In some cases, as I will go over later, that's the way to go. Especially smaller scale projects.

However.............

On large scale projects, with a lot of lighting effects, and where the cost of multiple boards, for varied effects, would hurt your wallet big-time, you may want to consider the UFX board.

It's about to be available, he's getting about 50 units in at first, and I snagged a few..he...he...he...

I want to make it VERY CLEAR, I am NOT the Vendor! I will not have ANY Units to SELL! I just build models,.....honest........for real............I'm stressing this because of the dozen or so, orders I've received already.

The ones I will add to my lighting "stash",..are for my Star Ship builds, and especially my Jupiter 2 Saucers.

This is not a sales pitch, I don't have anything to do with the profit end of this product, only was involved in it's concept, and final design. But, as this thread asks questions, that this gizmo will solve many times. And, that's without complex instructions, bits and pieces, confusing diagrams, fits of panic and distress, cold sweats, anxiety, fear of the unknown, and all that yucky stuff. Doesn't that sound nice?

With this doodah, you can get straight to lighting, skip the scary stuff. Boards are 99.00, and have all sorts of extra add-ons for various effects, chasers, upgradable chip for later augments, all sorts of goodies.

Watch the video if your interested. This was done a while back, and a new and improved "How-To" video will come out, as soon as this E is OFF MY Workbench!

Link is THE ULTIMATE FX MODEL LIGHTING CIRCUIT!

You can order these amazing thingies at http://www.tsdsinc.com/

If you mention that I sent you, he will take very good care of you! 8)

I'm still doing these little lessons soon, but this will solve a lot of the stuff that's already been mentioned here.

This board was designed for beginners, but it's also capable of much more. If your in doubt, or not sure if it's for you, watch the video, or wait until the word gets around. No pressure, just a suggestion to members who are interested.

Let me know if you have any questions, and stay tuned! ;D

Latest posts

Back