Need advice for Clear pieces.

Metal_slug_z

So I'm not to sure if this is the right section to post this apologies if it isn't, Anyways, I'm building my first car kit a 78 monogram trans am, and the clear the front windshield piece is gashed pretty bad as well as i believe the back windshield piece has a small gash. I was wondering if anyone knew any techniques to fix this or any material that would work well as replacement parts, seeing as i don't like the tint anyways. Sorry if i worded anything or got something wrong, I'm brand new to car kits and I'm in over my head right now.

Welcome to SMA. Its gonna be tricky if at all possible. Can you post some photos?

I am moving this to The Construction Q&A Board.

We will soon be removing attachments from the forum; best to learn to use photobucket or flikr etc...

There's a video in the sidebar on the homepage that walks you through it.

You'll need some different grit sandpaper, high grits. Like 4000, 8000, 12000.

Then after wet sanding starting at 4000 and up you can dip the piece in Future Floor Wax.

I'd wait for other opinions though... it's tricky.

Alright, thank you very much. I'll wait for other suggestions as well as look at information on the web but i might just have to use your advice.

I have seen others make new screens from soft drink bottles, or other clear plastic.
but when I had a damaged windscreen I went for the sandpaper, buffing stick (super fine grit, like they use for fingernails), I then dipped in klear and let drain, then after a week (klear takes a while to dry, but not that long) I then went over with The Novus polishes, I for get the numbering but the medium and the polish, not the heavy scratch remover.
Not perfect but enough that you had to tilt it in the light to see the damage.
Another option for side and rear windows is to tint them to disguise any imperfections.

I'll have to look into that! I might try it later this week and if it fails I'm most interested in new windshields anyhow seeing as i don't like the windshields it has. I'm going for a more clear effect so I'll have to look around for a good plastic to use as a substitute.

Latest posts

Back