Good aluminium spray paint???

FoldedWings

I've got this rely bad aluminum paint but i kneed some good one to paint my mustang!!!! :-\
Please help! ::)

Are you looking for Spray Can? Or something you can airbrush.

Can't beat Alclad.....aluminum in about 10 or so different colors.

Yes Ill 2nd that alclad is the best I have seen in paint form - I did my first paint job in them which was in the competition (knight of gold): http://picasaweb.google.com/dominiclyddon/KnightOfGoldVer3#5487106203987199362 that was using the chrome from alclad and clear yellow/bit if red over the top and another clear coat so its dulled down. Go to the alclad site to see what you want...

Yea, Alclad. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are they best because they actually use ground up metals...so its almost like plating as oppose to painting.

I've seen the results many times but never used it myself. It is a noxious lacquer so take that into consideration if you decide to give them a try.

Has anione heard about the artists aluminum powder technique?
Its when you put on clear and leave it to dry but when its still tact you put on the powder and after a day polish it ??? ;D
LINK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGQ8yXWz_Rs&playnext=1&videos=x8W2gE6o84s

FoldedWings said:
Has anione heard about the artists aluminum powder technique?
Its when you put on clear and leave it to dry but when its still tact you put on the powder and after a day polish it ??? ;D
LINK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGQ8yXWz_Rs&playnext=1&videos=x8W2gE6o84s

Yes I seen similar stuff in Japan hmm I wonder if you could get that mirror like hmmmmmm....

Ahhh, spray can.....Alclad is only available in bottle form, you have to airbrush it.

They make one in a spray can, which is Chrome for Lexan, but it is designed for RC car bodies, hence the Lexan designation.

If not alcan then Model master metalizer LACQUERS which should also be airbrushed. ALthough they do have some brush on metal finish enamels as well.

P3 and Citadel acyrlics are also good brush paints but I have not yet tries a whole aircraft body with them yet. I think http://www.thearmypainter.com/ Army painter has a metallic spray bomb.

The only thing I would caution about the Testors Metalizers (either in bottle or spray form) is that they aren't as durable as Alclad. Look at them the wrong way and they seem to rub/wear/melt off.

A clear coat over them to protect them won't work either....as once you do this, you loose the metallic properties of the paint, which is why you used it in the first place.

Maybe some other people have had better luck with them than I have.....but personally I think they suck....which i don't say often about Testors Lacquer paints.

While not quite in the same category as the Alclad lineup, I will say the Vallejo metallics, when thinned heavily with their special acrylic thinner, do product a decent air brushed result. A couple very fine coats over matt black produces a nice finish with some tone to it. Apply too much of it though and it ruins the look.

FoldedWings said:
Ok i bought an airbrush! So alcalade it is! 8)

good decision with the airbrush. I have no idea how to use mine properly. I just look around the forums and yt vids on better techniques, but jeez it's tricky to get the hang of in the beginning.. I've done 2 camo patterns and 1 natural metal so far. Another natural metal and a modern jet is on the way!

Second, third, forth and fifth. You want awesome metalic finish, Alclad is the way to go. :) A little expensive but the results are worth it.

Elm City Hobbies said:
The only thing I would caution about the Testors Metalizers (either in bottle or spray form) is that they aren't as durable as Alclad. Look at them the wrong way and they seem to rub/wear/melt off.

A clear coat over them to protect them won't work either....as once you do this, you loose the metallic properties of the paint, which is why you used it in the first place.

Maybe some other people have had better luck with them than I have.....but personally I think they suck....which i don't say often about Testors Lacquer paints.

ouch !! lol .. I love the metalizers and have always had great results with them,, I have not had any problems with them rubbing off.I've found a lot has to do with the base coat. I have never used them to spray an entire model but they work great for metal details ... as far as chrome I just got my alclad today,, so I will be trying it shortly

hmmm maybe a metalizer tutoral is in order...

I started on the metalizer tut ..I started with a sheet of styrene and made a swatch of each color , I have the whole set of airbrush colors ...

Once I have a bit of time I will try to film spraying it , just the way I do it atleast .

I have been playing with the swatches and buffing the buff colors .. I'm not able to get the paints to rub off at all.. it may be something I am doing different.. I can press my finger onto the colors and not leave prints I make sure my hands are clean and that may help some .
either way I will try to contribute a vid on using metalizers , atleast to introduce them to newer modelers that would like to see how they spray and buff.they can be a little tricky.

I tried alclad for the first time and must say they are awesome as well ! atleast the chrome,, thats all I have right now

Noboby seems to have mentioned it yet, but I like the Tamiya spray can aluminum...

Latest posts

Back