Getting a Naval Museum in my area!

too bad they dont put an old boomer out for people to tour, I've been on subs for years and they still amaze me :)

I was able to tour the HMS Vengeance last year and an Itslian Diesel sub, Todaro in 09. I love subs, but once I see or get to tour a Russian boat, I'll be complete and never need to step on one again :)

Elm City Hobbies said:
CV-60 USS Saratoga is sitting in Newport, RI, rusting away....would make a very nice museum!

I agree and she would make a very nice aircraft museum to.

Holden said:
Elm City Hobbies said:
CV-60 USS Saratoga is sitting in Newport, RI, rusting away....would make a very nice museum!

I agree and she would make a very nice aircraft museum to.

Apparently it has been slated for a museum in a couple of places but funding always fell through. Actually discovered her by accident as we were driving through Newport...and saw the forecastle between buildings out of the corner of my eye, didn't think I was seeing what I was seeing. So naturally I had to find away to get as close as possible to take a few photos.

Unfortunately, she will likely end up either as scrap metal, or stripped down to be sunk for a man made reef. If she can't go for a museum, I would much rather her be put to good use like a man made reef, instead of cut up for a bunch of razor blades.

Another good place to go to see ships as a museum is Battleship Cove, in Fall River, Mass, home to the USS Massachusettes, USS Lionfish, USS Joseph P. Kennedy as well as a PT Boats and a old East German Tarantal I Corvette. Well worth the price of admission, plan to spend most of the day there to see everything!

Latest posts

Back