Getting rid of o-ring

CY343491

Hi,
I have three airbrushes, one is badger renegade velocity which i don't like the other two are cheap airbrushes, one has a conical nozzle and doesn't contain o-ring, other one is threaded and has a small o-ring so i'm always worried about using that one with lacquer thinners, do you think that if get rid of that o-ring and apply beeswax or vaseline on threads will work as good as o-ring?

If you can't get replacement O-rings and it's deteriorated you can see if those or even teflon tape will provide a seal .
I assume you are talking about the one for the spray cap .

i'm talking about this kind of nozzle, teflon tapes are too thick for it's threads i think
Nozzle.jpg

That's called the spray tip .
The air cap goes over that .
crown cap goes atop the end of the air cap .

You should be able to acquire a bunch of those O-rings for cheap .
It might not even be necessary if the threads and the seating surface isn't garbage .

That's called the spray tip .
The air cap goes over that .
crown cap goes atop the end of the air cap .

You should be able to acquire a bunch of those O-rings for cheap .
It might not even be necessary if the threads and the seating surface isn't garbage .
Problem is that they don't sell that miniature o-rings but they sell it with nozzle (you call it as spray tip) as a set. I don't have a problem about air cap's o-ring, that's outside of the liquid flow. I always apply beeswax on it's threads while keeping o-ring.

I buy O-rings of all kinds off Amazon all the time .
Now , yeah , I'm in Texas but there must be an equivalent source for you .
Alibaba would definitely have them for super cheap .
Stock up !

Alibaba should have the machine to make O-rings .
Start your own business !

Is it a proper way to not to use o-ring but only to use beeswax on threads? I hate this o-ring stuff, it's not about money.

" do I have to use gasoline ? I don't like the smell ; can't I just put water in the fuel tank ? "

First , what's with the beeswax ?

Is it double acting AB ?
Assemble it without the o-ring , put water in the paint cup , depress the trigger for air only ,
do bubbles come up into the paint cup ?

Get an AB that doesn't use an o-ring there .
My Paasche Talon doesn't .

" do I have to use gasoline ? I don't like the smell ; can't I just put water in the fuel tank ? "

First , what's with the beeswax ?

Is it double acting AB ?
Assemble it without the o-ring , put water in the paint cup , depress the trigger for air only ,
do bubbles come up into the paint cup ?

Get an AB that doesn't use an o-ring there .
My Paasche Talon doesn't .
It's double action AB.
Beeswax is used as as a sealant to fill gaps between threads. Some use vaseline, some use even weirdo hand creams, some use teflon tape.

In my first post i was talking about a conical nozzle, there's no thread on nozzle, it close fits to AB body, when air cap assembled nozzle stucks properly.
It's called JIG37 or JIG45 connection due to it's conical angle, o-ringless maintenance free connection which used for highly pressurized pneumatic and hydraulic lines commonly prefered on military systems.

Lacquer thinner, acetone, alcohol won’t affect o-rings in modern airbrushes through normal cleaning. Meaning, if you’re spraying it, or blowing it through it won’t hurt any of the rings. If you want to soak the tip then roll the o-ring off before submerging it.

" Lacquer thinner, acetone, alcohol won't affect o-rings in modern airbrushes through normal cleaning. "
no , they do degrade over time .

Lacquer thinner, acetone, alcohol won’t affect o-rings in modern airbrushes through normal cleaning. Meaning, if you’re spraying it, or blowing it through it won’t hurt any of the rings. If you want to soak the tip then roll the o-ring off before submerging it.
It's a cheap AB, my first airbrush was Harder & Steenbeck Ultra, i sprayed lacquer thinner with it an it's sealant died, never sprayed again and broke it due to lack of experience, i hung my first AB on my wall as a memory. That's why i'm obsessed about o-rings :).

Why don't you see if it will leak without the o-ring ?
If so , use your alternate sealant and see if it works .

Why don't you see if it will leak without the o-ring ?
If so , use your alternate sealant and see if it works .
Those were the times when i started modeling, i was so inexperienced, now i can't try it on harder&steenbeck, because threads on body are broken and i don't have thread cutter tools.

It's a cheap AB, my first airbrush was Harder & Steenbeck Ultra, i sprayed lacquer thinner with it an it's sealant died, never sprayed again and broke it due to lack of experience, i hung my first AB on my wall as a memory. That's why i'm obsessed about o-rings :).
Even the cheap Chinese brushes have solvent resistant o-rings now.

BTW, Harder & Steenbeck brushes go through o-rings prematurely and that’s only one of their problems.

Even the cheap Chinese brushes have solvent resistant o-rings now.

BTW, Harder & Steenbeck brushes go through o-rings prematurely and that’s only one of their problems.
Even high-end models of harder steenbeck have sealant issues? Ultra was a cheap model at all.

Even high-end models of harder steenbeck have sealant issues? Ultra was a cheap model at all.
They all do. Also, their nozzle design is conducive to spitting and sputtering, and the shape of the area underneath the cup means it’s more difficult to clean completely of paint. Their trigger action is wonky too.

But their biggest offense is overcharging us for high end brushes - because all their brushes utilize the same head design. Same parts, just different sizes. A $350 Infinity has the same head design as a $90 Ultra. You’re paying for a fancy body and the name. There‘s more to a high end brush than nozzle and needle size - an Iwata Micron has a different head design which works in conjunction with their .18 needle/nozzle/cap…

Latest posts

Back