Gettin paid to build models?

MrNatural

my head is falling off my head
I keep discovering people that make decent money doing commissioned model builds/custom figures things of that nature and some that pay their bills doing this. I was wandering if anyone had any experience doing commissioned work. What does it takes to get into this business? Can you make a living building models in the United States? How did the guy that built the model on the box get that job? How did Sheperd Pain get so famous in the modeling world? Is the hobby gaining interest? Growing? Is it a dieing art much like movie special effects, animatronix, stop motion? Will kids that build models do better in life than kids who play video games? Will kids born in the 90's ever build model kits? Why hasnt discovery channel picked up scotts show yet? Is model kit building too small of niche interest to ever get its own tv show like Plamo Tsukuro?
Is modeling as big of thing in Japan as it seems or is that a bunch of hoo-ha? Just a bunch of curious questions. i dont consider myself to have the kind of skills it would take to get paid. just something i've always thought about.

Hoo boy that's a lot. I've only painted 28mm miniatures for profit before. No way I could make a living off of it. The key is to be able to paint damn fast. I could get $100 for a mini, but it would take me about 5 to 7 days. So $400 a month aint gonna cut it.

I think Shep Paine got so well known because he was the first one to publish high quality books on building scale models. Back in the day it was him and... Oh wait. It was just him!

It is a dying hobby. People just don't have the patience to build something with their own hands in an instant society. I personally know people who cannot understand why I would spend the time building a model when I could go and build a pre-built version of it.

I think in Japan the hobby is far more respected than in the US. More of the "rockstar" image over there. Heck! The country built a full scale Gundam! I don't see a full scale Millennium Falcon over here to match.

MrNatural said:
I keep discovering people that make decent money doing commissioned model builds/custom figures things of that nature and some that pay their bills doing this. I was wandering if anyone had any experience doing commissioned work.

Yes.

MrNatural said:
What does it takes to get into this business?

It takes a little bit of skill and a boat load of luck and good fortune.

MrNatural said:
Can you make a living building models in the United States?

You can, it is definitely possible. However, you then turn your hobby into your job and you have to put a full work week into that thing you used to do occasionally for fun. Rick Lawler is a good example of what can be done, he went from posting his work on Planet Armor to slowly being regularly published in several magazines (which is a paying gig) and now runs MIG USA and a few other small cottage companies IIRC.

MrNatural said:
How did the guy that built the model on the box get that job?

Each guy gets the job different ways, in many cases the guy doing the model on the box is already employed by said company and builds models as well.

MrNatural said:
How did Sheperd Pain get so famous in the modeling world?

Much in the same way Bob Letterman and Francois Verlinden and any other master modeler of that time frame, they dedicated themselves 100% to a craft and constantly put themselves out there. Once you've appeared in a few model magazine articles, they start contacting you directly and it can grow from there.

MrNatural said:
Is the hobby gaining interest? Growing?

Many times on modeling forums I see guys 'new to the hobby' posting all the time, so in some ways I think, yes.

MrNatural said:
Is it a dieing art much like movie special effects, animatronix, stop motion?

I don't think the threats of doom and gloom are as real as some believe, I don't see this hobby going anywhere any time soon.

MrNatural said:
Will kids that build models do better in life than kids who play video games?

I can't see why, both demand skill and hand eye coordination... of course if they are listening to heavy metal music... (that last bit was a joke)

MrNatural said:
Will kids born in the 90's ever build model kits?

There were three kids competing at this years AMPS east contest, although I can't be sure what year they were born in.

MrNatural said:
Why hasnt discovery channel picked up scotts show yet?

While I am a huge fan of Scott and his show, there are many youtube channels with more views/popularity that would probably gain some sort of network attention first but this question would most likely be better answered by Discovery.

MrNatural said:
Is model kit building too small of niche interest to ever get its own tv show like Plamo Tsukuro?

Well, there are fishing shows, hunting shows, four wheeling shows, skiing shows etc. those are all hobbies, so it would take a producer/network to take that initial chance to find out if it's feasible.

MrNatural said:
Is modeling as big of thing in Japan as it seems or is that a bunch of hoo-ha?

It's big, much bigger than in the states...

MrNatural said:
Just a bunch of curious questions. i dont consider myself to have the kind of skills it would take to get paid. just something i've always thought about.

You will never know until you try though, as with anyone. If you were to focus on a build and capture as much of the process with good photos as you could and then write up a good description of the build you could send it off to a magazine like Fine Scale Modeler. I say FSM to start because they are pretty accepting of many styles, genre's and skill levels. You might find yourself on a page or two or even a full blown article in which case you get a check in the mail for your work, you will never know until you try.

As with any other activity in which you want to excel, practice, practice, practice!

Shep Paine and Bill Horan have talent, but, like a ball player who has natural talent but makes it to the big leagues by shagging thousands of fly balls and hours of infield practice, they worked, constantly, and gradually built up their body of work, and earned notice in our hobby community.

It was mentioned that ours is an unappreciated field, and I don't think I quite agree, there is appreciation, but ours is a relatively closed community, albeit a global one. And it was global before there was an Internet, too, just that communication was at a slower pace. Shep, Bill, and others who are well-known in our community, are members of the various organizations in which we've banded together. Both Shep and Bill are members of the society I belong to, for example, the Miniature Figure Collectors of America, having long held grand master status. Shep is a member of the Military Miniature Society of Illinois, too, as well as other organizations and societies.

But to my point-build, build, build, and paint, paint, paint! That, supported by participating actively in this and other forums, and in the clubs and societies that make up the modeling hobby, and in the shows, is the best way to reach your full potential and achieve notice. And once you're recognized as a modeler of skill and talent, commissions will seek you out.

Just my observation, from my experience!

Brad

Wow, thank you for the quick responses! I guess the answers to a lot of my questions is just common sense stuff but i have only been into this beast of hobby for a few years now and am still quite ignorant ;D

I don't think that model building is dying. I live in a relatively small Texas town, it is a college town. When I go to my local Hobby Lobby. (No local hobby store. Town isn't big enough to support one.) There is always a college aged kid checking out the kits. I think that they would sell more of them if the prices are lower. Hobby Lobby marks everything up quite a bit, and then occasionally offers 30% off sales.

Is model kit building too small of niche interest to ever get its own tv show like Plamo Tsukuro?

Actually there was a TV show devoted to Model Building many years ago on PBS. Little half hr show, concentrated more on fundamentals, and never made it past 8-10 episodes, but it has been done.

Since it was PBS, it was sort of done in the style of say The Joy of Painting or similar.

I don't recall now....that was like....early 80's maybe?

There was a more recent show called "Tracks Ahead" all on model railroading on PBS....don't know if it is still around. You can find clips of it on Youtube.

I have no doubt that some younglings are getting into the hobby. I just think far fewer get into it nowadays when compared to when I was little. Back then everyone I knew built at least one model before age 12... and regardless of what it was covered it in red enamel paint to simulate blood!

That is a long time off, no telling if they will even be people......

I have seen a lot of built models for sale on Ebay. Sometimes they go for good sums, but most of the time it is close to $100.

IMHO.... i believe, that real modeling is a hobby, once you start selling your stuff for money, it becomes a job. i do this for fun, beacuse i know my work will never be good enough for "retail quality". i really just like to do it for fun. But hay, if someone wanted to make a model for cash, i would do it, but they better not expect perfection, and there would not be a deadline. and if they wanted one of my models, the better fork over the cash.... beacuse alot of those models mean a lot to me beacuse i put my heart into them.

also another thing, why buy model airplanes built by hand by someone ells for? really honestly, i find more joy in building them myself and hanging them up on my sealing, than having someone make it for me, true story. Heck i could have asked one of you guys to make my Ace Of Spades P-51 and it probably would have turned out better, but i wanted to build it myself, and it brings me great happiness to see my work of art.

once again, this is just my humble opinion.

I remember watching that PBS show.

I'm not sure on commission stuff. I don't see how but I'm figuring if you got the connection you can get paid to live on to do it. I know Phil does at Promodellers. I'm not sure who his clients are or anything though and how he does it other than selling his washes and pigs (which are very very nice).

The only commission work I did was for someone I know and he completely forgot about it. Go figure.

13aceofspades13 said:
IMHO.... i believe, that real modeling is a hobby, once you start selling your stuff for money, it becomes a job.

I think I know what you mean, but getting paid for modeling doesn't change the fact of whether it is 'real' modeling or not. Some could argue that real modeling is when you scratch build the entire kit form sheet stock and plastic rods, or when you carve the wood from the tree yourself.

IMO, modeling is modeling, there is no line of division, there is no one way of doing it, there is no right or wrong. I think when we draw these lines in the sand we cause divisions between hobbyists and I would much prefer to see everyone consider themselves the same, regardless of age, skill level, or what their motivation is.

Besides that, what's wrong with having a job you love? I bet when Lance Armstrong was a kid he loved riding his bike, and maybe later in life, it became a job but I bet he still loved riding his bike even though he got paid/became famous.

13aceofspades13 said:
also another thing, why buy model airplanes built by hand by someone ells for?

Some of the people I have built stuff for in the past were war veterans, they were either from WWII and were too old or didn't have the skill/patience/ability able to build for themselves, or it was the child of that WWII veteran who had no interest in modeling at all but wanted a representation of that vehicle found in that grainy black and white picture of dad, to put on the shelf with his medals.

Modeling may be your hobby but it may not be to others, even though they are interested in the finished piece.

;)

If you do build on a commission, you'll have to get used to building the way your buyer wants it built, not the way you want it built.

A buddy of mine in our club got a commission to build a piece of modern German armor, a Jagdpanzer of some kind. It was a Dragon kit, and he had fun building it, but he got into a disagreement with the guy who commissioned it. The real vehicle has a visible seam between the front glacis (sorry to sound technical--the sloped part of the upper hull) and the top plate of the vehicle. The kit builds up as a faithful reproduction of that seam, and my friend built it, painted and finished the tank. His buyer looked at it and demanded that he fix the seam. My friend argued the point, and even showed him photos of the real thing, but it didn't matter, he wanted the seam filled. My friend was so bothered by this that he almost chucked the model, but eventually, he came to terms with the fact that they guy wanted it that way.

You do also have to get used to the fact that you are making your hobby a business. Even if you don't let it bother you, you'll have to meet other people's deadlines and expectations, and you'll have to be mindful of providing good customer service. That's not always fun (as someone stuck in customer service, I can swear to that).

But if you can take on a commission and build and still have fun, you will profit monetarily as well as pursue your hobby.

Take it from someone who has done more commissions than all the people here combined: I've been doing this for over thirty years and I still have yet to have one complaint about the work I've done for my customers. Most recently, I have a customer who keeps telling me that he will pay me for my work, but he doesn't have the money. I just keep getting the same old tired excuses. Now I have to sell to recover my labor and my material costs. I seriously doubt that anyone will pay me for what I've done at full cost on ebay, or even these forums. I'm going to offer it for the full price on here, but I don't think anyone will want something I made for another person at full value even though everything is brand new. I guarantee the quality of all my stuff to 100% customer satisfaction, or their money back (if they return the item in its' original condition). I don't think for all the work I've done on all the stuff I've made that my prices are any higher than anyone elses. I tried to sell it over on hobbytalk, but everyone there looks at what I'm selling, then goes on to the next thread! I sometimes wonder if it's even worth the aggravation?

It all depends on your customer, or the situation surrounding what you both decide to build. If you want to do commission (I don't know why anyone would want to) - you can advertise what you've done in the past and if people like it, they'll ask you to build for them depending on the person and the difficulty of the build. Sometimes you'll wonder what you've gotten yourself in to if it's too involved, and if you're not familiar with the subject (references). It's all up to you to decide what you want to do. Just keep in mind that just because you'd like to do something, it doesn't always meet your expectations of you think it should. A lot of transactions go wrong ALL THE TIME!!! Don't be impressed by seeing others doing this - it isn't always what it seems to be. It's just like any other transaction via technological means rather than being done in person - you don't always know who it is that you're working for, or whether or not they'll try to get something for nothing, or their lifestyle changes for the worst and then they can't keep their end of the bargain. I'm at a loss for words for the latest guy - I feel sorry that he went through a divorce, but that's not my fault - I just built his stuff, and painted it and made some weapons for it. Now I can't get a single cent for any of it - what's really sad is, I didn't charge him nearly what I would've normally - and I still can't get anything for it!

it would be easier to get into building real cars,tanks ,planes for a living than models of them .

But I know what you mean ,, your best bet would try to get in one of the California prop houses .building movie models.now that's a dream job !

the Baron said:
If you do build on a commission, you'll have to get used to building the way your buyer wants it built, not the way you want it built.

That may be true in some instances but it's not always the case and in fact, has never been the case for me. Everyone I have ever built for asked me to build it my way, because they hired because they liked what I did. They may ask me to model from a photo in order to represent a specific vehicle (IE: Grandpa's tank) but they have always given me the room to do what I do my way because they liked my previous work. The only standard I have ever been held to is that of my previous work, if the builder specified too much and I didn't feel comfortable doing it, I simply passed on the project.

Case in point, my entry to Scott's Big Spring contest was desired by a person who's grandfather was in the 82nd airborne and he liked what I did so much, that he contacted Scott to buy it. Scott then contacted me and that person and I discussed the terms. As with any other project, I know what I need to get for what I did and I know what will work for me, if there is no agreement to those terms, there is no deal and no one feels like they got burned.

the Baron said:
...you'll have to meet other people's deadlines and expectations...

Again, sometimes maybe, but it's not always the case. If someone tells me I have some kind of deadline that I don't want to be held to, I simply pass on the job. If they expect me to produce something that doesn't look like my previous work but that of another persons, again, I simply say 'no thank you'.

I have model kits sent to me by publications for future magazine articles with no deadlines placed upon them at all, they know this is a hobby and not a full time job so they give me the time to create what it is they want to see and that is what they've seen me do in the past.

Little Cutie said:
Take it from someone who has done more commissions than all the people here combined:

Wow, that's a pretty bold statement to make on the internet surrounded by people you may not know anything about...

RocketSilo said:
it would be easier to get into building real cars,tanks ,planes for a living than models of them .

I disagree, those things are far more expensive, take up far more room and require far more skill. Anyone can buy a model kit fairly cheap, spend time studying the works of others for free and then practice at home in their spare time.

The only real key things to getting into building on commission are twofold. Your skill and finished product quality and once you have that figured out, it comes down to exposure. If you make a nice model and show it to the right people you may be surprised what comes of it. There are forums that are visited regularly by Magazine editors and other people in the business, sometimes all it takes is a decent picture or two of your finished work posted in the right place and the emails begin to roll in.

Latest posts

Back