Fine Molds 1/72 Millenium Falcon

rastanz

Glue Member
Hi,
This is was my first attempt at modeling and painting but unfortunately this model was stolen from my house when i was away on tour. Who'd want to steal an incomplete model is beyond me... but never the less i got over my loss and decided to give it another whirl :)

FMMF114.jpg

Attempt 2

Started this over 6 months ago but has been laying in its box.

I pretty much replaced most of the plumbing using brass rod which i was too lazy to attempt on my previous, as well as adding bits here and there... i used the PE Grille Detail set bought from Starship Modeler site.
I'm trying to achieve the ESB version of the Falcon but also like some of the detail on the ANH version, so i may add bits of detail from that version too.

FMMF7.jpg

Piping replaced, greebles added to the nose of the jawbox, i stripped the plastic from a twist tie to expose the wire and bent it into shape.
FMMF2.jpg

more piping and battle damage using my dremel and a pointed bit
FMMF24.jpg

top is pretty much complete for now...
FMMF23.jpg

added piping, PE Grille set and detail to the engine deck which i think is finished

May have stepped into the deep end with this being an amateur modeler for my first was pretty much OOB but its been fun building this kit again.

Thanks for looking

A LOT of work has gone into this, and it shows.
Keep it up. I look forward to more progress

Wow man, that's good work and alot of it!
I am building the same thing at the moment and I know how long those pipes would have taken. Keep the pics coming!

Wow, 2 Falcon builds on the same day...is it Christmas?

This is looking great. I LOVE the brass piping and photoetch.

What technique are you using to get those bends so tight? Needle nose pliers or something special?

merseajohn, feel free to start a thread with your too! 3 falcons would be great.

Excellent start to th Falcon ! Those P.E. screens & fans ! WoW They really PoP ! Plus the added plumbing ! I'll def. will be tuning in !

ERIK

Thanks for your comments... yes Scott i used a pair of needle nose pliers to bend the piping into shape, there's a nice flat surface in the jaw of the pliers to grip the brass without the risk of getting teeth marks or scratches, i found i got tighter bends there than using the actual nose of the pliers.

013.jpg

I finished scribing panel lines into the docking rings, i will fill in the unwanted lines with putty and tidy them up a bit... now... where did i put that tube of putty ::)

012.jpg

I see you are going to Town on this.... and a FM MF ? why not !

Those new Pipes are quite the attraction grabber ... I must confess I have the kit but Haven't look inide the box much and don't quite understand why you decided to switch them ? Are they Moulded on?? and look odd ? or the ones in the kit are of the wrong shape?

None the less ! impressive work so far ! it promises !

Sorry to hear your Burglar was a Model luver.... weird ! to have your model taken ??? hey !

I really should open up that box and maybe get Bitten to build mine !!! That looks so Sharp !

Norm.

Hi schweinhund227, big fan of your speeder biker work :)

The piping did look a little odd to me and most of the piping excluding the parts that bend into the recessed pits on the Falcon are moulded on. I guess i avoided the job of putty filling and sanding where the piping joined had i used the kit parts.

Thanks.

Man, that piping looks wonderful. I will definitely try this on my Falcon as well. Also nice work on the scribed lines.

So the kit doesn't have raised panel armor around the circumference of the docking rings??

Odd. I thought that detail would have been built in.

Hi Scott, they're pretty much just straight lines around the rings supposedly there to represent the armor plating, i guess finemolds overlooked that detail so decided to add it.

Well, there's this speculation of kit manufacturers actually having to reduce the detail here and there, according to how much license fee they payd. But I am not sure if that's true, it sounds more like an urban legend. :p

There's also the question of which model they used for their detailing.
No two models of that ship have exactly the same details

Hi all, decided to shelve the project for now, i've been real busy with gigs and now helping with clean up after the earth quake here in NZL there are alot of confused and helpless families and Christchurch is a real mess. I hope to get back onto my build soon when everything here has settled.

Tere

Take care of what's truly important. The model can wait.
You've got my prayers as well.

Latest posts

Back