February Workbench Update and Some Extras

Thanks guys I appreciate that. Glad you liked the car Glorfindel. It is pretty cool. It's the only thing I wanted.

On to modelling :)

One P-40E cockpit coming up. Just needs a gunsight, the one in the kit is useless.

I outlined the belts with a fine tipped marker. It looks pretty hokey in the closeups but not bad in person. I think something less stark than black would have looked better but I think the effect is worth pursuing.

photobucket-3048-1330661190570.jpg

photobucket-3176-1330661234839.jpg

photobucket-7691-1330661213996.jpg

LOVELY work on the cockpit!

I also enjoyed your vid...pls keep 'em coming and condolances on the loss of your Dad. Thats always tough.

Tim

Sorry I havent commented sooner Shutter ,I want to get time to watch your vid first :) Man that vid had it all ! Hotrods ,garage ,model stashes & bench progress ...what more could you want ....Oh ,and a mug of Tea ;D ;D ,great vid . Lots of work on eh !! ,I like the little Sprint car kit :).
Nice work on the P40 cockpit too .

Chris.

Thanks ER and Chris.

Yeah, it was a bit of a catch all vid wasn't it? LOL ;D

I keep looking at the belts in the cockpit and they look horrible in the pics. The magnification really brings them in. Hopefully I can get all these fuses buttoned up tonight. i need to get to work on the Mossie. ;)

Ok, we've had a bit of progress. Just a few photo's for now but I have at least one how to video planned this weekend so stay tuned for that. Oh, there should be a MAJOR stash addition this Saturday. ;D

Group Shot
photobucket-8777-1331225493011.jpg

Colorado West Aviation - Curtiss Division
P-40E Airframe is complete. Some filling and sanding will be required but nothing too bad. Expected to be in primer early next week.
photobucket-4184-1331225625482.jpg

photobucket-4000-1331225646023.jpg

Colorado West Aviation - North American Division
All three airframes basically complete. Expect primer early next week. Possible color coats too.
(Sample Airframe)
photobucket-11471-1331225580146.jpg

photobucket-14819-1331225604020.jpg

TaTa for now! ;D

YEE-HAW. Crazy that you're building three Mustangs! :) (and a P-40 too)
I like the Krylon Aluminum, looks good for the scale in the videos.

Good video update Jim. Looking forward to the decals.

Jason.

Thanks Jason. I'm planning on printing my own for at least some of them so I've been playing with Inkscape. Really kind of easy if you can find a good profile to work from.

Big Jim rollin' along with the pony's. That Krylon Aluminum looks really good. Little bit extra masking and you'd have no over spray. BTW, the camo looks sweet.

ShutterAce said:
Thanks Jason. I'm planning on printing my own for at least some of them so I've been playing with Inkscape. Really kind of easy if you can find a good profile to work from.

What's Inkscape? Software?

Yeah, it's uses what is called vector graphics. It doesn't use pixels to draw images so you can scale your drawing to any size you want without losing detail. The reason I use Inkscape particularly is because it's free and I'm cheap. ;D

Glorfindel said:
Big Jim rollin' along with the pony's. That Krylon Aluminum looks really good. Little bit extra masking and you'd have no over spray. BTW, the camo looks sweet.

Yeah, I know. I could have puled it off with more thinner and less air pressure. The real problem I had was that these acrylics don't hold to well to the aluminum. When I remove the masking from the horizontal stabilizers it pulled @ 70% of the paint of of the port side. I ended up using a handheld paper mask. If this was enamel I could have used a wet paper mask, Oh well. :p

Final paint coats...

Krylon Matte Aluminum(decanted)
photobucket-9970-1333851178396.jpg

PollyScale RAF Dk Earth/Tamiya RAF Dk Green
photobucket-2505-1333851089247.jpg

PollyScale RAAF Sky Blue(I couldn't get my Sky Type S bottle open ::))
photobucket-4330-1333851110712.jpg

Acrylics don't stick to Krylon Matte Aluminum. Ask me how I know. ;)

Latest posts

Back